Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Burning Feet in steamroom
Guest7 Offline

Threads: 17
Sad  Burning Feet in steamroom

I am in the Refinery room, did all the stuff, went up the ladder and put the rock in the fan. Went through the fan a ways, it does not explode; and I keep going till I get to the Steam Room. All the squares have steam, how do I get across?
I tried doubleing back through and out the Refinery door, but the door is now stuck.
So I have to run through the steam.
I read on the walkthrough, but I still need hints. Please Help.
Any additional hints on getting across the steam?
And does it matter if the fan had to explode or not?
Thanks
08-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30
RE: Burning Feet in steamroom

fan doesn't need to explode, just stop so you can get through. the steam square area has a pattern. you could maybe try a walkthrough.
08-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4

The steam room is never completely "steamy". There are always some "cold" areas.
I didn't try to find a pattern yet (but there definitely is one).

I would suggst waiting a bit at the entrance and watching the steam. If you know well how far you can jump, and how fast you can move, you can find one or two "cold" fields in one or two bursts that you can use to traverse the area.
there's always a short pause between two bursts, and you will survive a short time in the steam.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
08-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Spoiler below!
Here you go. Sorry, not the best at being an artist, but hope this will do.

___ ___ ___ |EN|
|___|_9_|10_|11_|
|___|_8_|___|___|
|___|_7_|___|___|
|___|___|_6_|___|
|_2_|_3_|___|___|
|_1_|_4_|_5_|___|
|
START

What can you attach? I tried to attach this using a text editior (.txt), but it wouldn't let me.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2007, 03:47 AM by Greatred.)
08-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Find
Guest7 Offline

Thank you J-B for taking the time to write the Grid; and T for the suggesting to jump and traverse.
I am still working on getting across. My Game crashed once, (too many times trying to go across steam and fail?) but it comes back on O.K. after a re-boot. Usually I get to square 2 and burn.
Is there anyway around this Steamroom, other than through it? Or skip it completely using another route?
How about a "Get out of Steam-Room Free" card?
just kidding...not really...I mean it......my feet are killing me...
08-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

I've had a big problem with this at first, and I think it's fear+reaction=death.
When you study the map, and when you go, you see the next square that doesn't have steam, so one (at least me) would go to that one, and find myself dead; weather staying back one or going ahead.
take it one step at a time.
08-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Find
Guest7 Offline

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:I've had a big problem with this at first, and I think it's fear+reaction=death.
When you study the map, and when you go, you see the next square that doesn't have steam, so one (at least me) would go to that one, and find myself dead; weather staying back one or going ahead.
take it one step at a time.

What you wrote is exactly what I do! I study the steam map, go, see next square that doesn't have steam, go to that one and find myself dead.
I tried it one (square) step at a time and fried.

Is there a beat to the pattern..like, ah.. one square, and ah.. two square, and ah.. three square, etc.
Four beat, Eight beat or slower?

Sometimes I even fry at the edge, (get a little too close I suspect) just looking at the steam Sad
I may be here for days...I can always stack bolders-- haha
Thanks J-B
08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

just be patient, and remember "one step at a time", even if you see no steam at the next square. I'm trying to get there now to see if I can do something to help make it easy, like a cheat, but not quite there yet.
once you get to the fence, maybe one more square closer to the exit, I'd go and run to the exit.

I'll try my best to explain this. When there is an open square (first one you step on), go on there and wait for the steam to die, then jump to the second while the steam fills up squares. when that dies out, go to the third, rinse and repeat.

update:
Spoiler below!
I got there, and the idea worked. When you go get the battery, you'll also see three barrels. Sadly, you can't use the conveyor, but you can throw them up towards the fan (fan that you must stop to proceed). I'd just bring two barrels, no need for three.
Anyways, bring those down the steam area. I didn't try this with the barrels on their sides, but straight up. Anyway, straight up, you can go across the steam area without getting hurt at all. Just move the barrel in front of you, walk on that, than move the barrel from behind you to in front, rinse and repeat. it's slower, but safe.

Not sure who mentioned about reloading and having the computer freeze up. A tip: If you die, click on Main Menu, then load the most recent saved game. It seems to work every time.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2007, 11:19 PM by Greatred.)
08-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Find
Guest7 Offline

Thanks,
Spoiler below!
I did get the barrels to the steam and am trying to jump on without over jumping or knocking barrels over, etc. If I get knocked over I have to start from scratch, barrells and rocks at bottom. So, I've had practice kicking the barrels up, alot Smile
I have become very good at "drop kicking in air" those barrells and the rocks, to the top level----like a foot ball.
I did succeed in getting the barrells into the lower conveyor belt, it just took me a little manuevering and they do go in (like where the red battery went). Also, when you get the barrels in the vent upstairs, pushing them along, just flick then with the right mouse and they go fast! And Fyi, the barrels go straight through the Big Fan, I mean like a ghost, straight through.

The Next is just for fun--------------------------------------------------
I put a barrell in the conveyor belt, by the Crusher Controls by stairs, just to see where it went. The barrell went in, but where it comes out, I cannot tell.
I am also trying to kick or place, a rock into the small window/vent (it has a reddish tint) when you walk up the ladder to top level, to see where it goes.
I have tried to use a barrell and jump on it to get to the window/vent, but no success so far.
[I know this whole game is suppose to be for fun-- when I write "just for fun" I am pertaining to things in the game that probably have nothing to do with the plot or outcome. And, I have no idea about Red, or what he is or isn't or what this game is suppose to succeed at in the end. I've been too busy with the mechanics and tech aspects. Maybe when I finish I will go back again and actually read the notes, etc. It is turning out to be a better game than I first thought Smile ]
08-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

did you pass that aea? no need to jump, unless you're getting the barrels pretty far. up close is slower, but you can simply walk.
08-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Find