Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Mainstream Games are so bad nowadays
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Mainstream Games are so bad nowadays

(01-28-2012, 09:34 AM)Arvuti Wrote: Why do I have a feeling that I am in a forum full of hipsters who only like games what have budgets what are lower than 5 digits and a development team you could fit in one room.
Because, it's a forum dedicated to a development team that basically fits that exact description. Tongue

On a side note, I think it's dumb to just assume a game will suck just because it's mainstream. I will say that like 90% of mainstream games that have come out in the last 5 years or so have been absolute shit so a lot of people assume they will all suck. Give everything a chance and you might be surprised.

Posting Freak
01-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Website Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

(01-28-2012, 09:34 AM)Arvuti Wrote: Also I love how shadowfied is complaining about linearity, eventhough amnesia and penumbra are linear as hell.
But with the way the levels were designed & paced the linearity was barely noticeable. Stalking from room to room, creeping around corridors and carefully opening doors, you want to know what lies ahead shrouded in darkness.

Contrast that to Call of Duty where you're constantly running from one area to the next, everything perfectly visible and easy to follow along. And just in case you can't figure out where you're supposed to go you've usually got an AI teammate or two that'll lead the way. And it becomes especially frustrating when you think you're going to be a clever cog and flank the enemy, you hit an invisible wall or get forced down an alleyway. When tactics are concerned, the linearity becomes almost stifling.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
01-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Find
boredgunner Offline

Threads: 0

(01-28-2012, 09:34 AM)Arvuti Wrote: Why do I have a feeling that I am in a forum full of hipsters who only like games what have budgets what are lower than 5 digits and a development team you could fit in one room.

Also I love how shadowfied is complaining about linearity, eventhough amnesia and penumbra are linear as hell.

Sure, plenty of indy games were listed in this thread but most of the best games happen to come from independent developers, or from the older days of gaming when the development teams were always very small. Games with large development teams lose sight on any sort of goal, and combined with a powerful publisher, they're pushed to make the game appeal only to the mass. The mass happens to be children with small minds and a short attention span, who only want a game with no challenges and non-stop action. Does this sound like you and the games you prefer?
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 06:42 PM by boredgunner.)
01-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Is there actually a definition of mainstream games?

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
01-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I would say that Call of Duty and todays Need for Speed are two of mainstream game series.

01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Website Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

We must learn to experience and observe, not comment and judge.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(01-31-2012, 09:26 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: We must learn to experience and observe, not comment and judge.

Disappointment i have experienced; apathy i have observed. Comment and judge i must, lest there be nothing left.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
01-31-2012, 10:03 PM
Website Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Once both are seen and judgement starts to seem what is left, you need not do dwell on the aspect of such an action if you know, at least begin to understand how to use what is learned. Judgement and Comment not needed in the way of that understanding.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Where there is no reasoning, there is no understanding. Where greed guides the heart, i dare not learn or understand. By comment and judgement we lead unto the right path: if not by speech, then by wallet.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
01-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

You two sound like poets predicting the end of mankind to those who don't understand your large vocabulary. JUST saying...
02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Find