Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Steam Room Crashes
Guest7 Offline

Threads: 17
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago Steam Room Crashes

I have been at the SteamRoom so long, that my games has crashed a few times. I am trying, (with great hints, thank you all, especially J-B) to get across as best as I can.
After about 5 or more attempts (at one sitting) exiting for a while; then going back for another marathon attempt of 4 or 5 more; taking a break, then going back to do the same thing again, and crash. The whole screen goes black, no movement, no "loading" sign. It stays like that till I re-boot. And I let it sit 10 minutes once, incase the loading was just going slow.

I have to re-boot, at each crash.
What can I do, to keep the game from crashing at the SteamRoom.
Thanks Smile
08-19-2007, 03:24 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Steam Room Crashes

If I knew how to upload a video (under mandriva 2007/2008 beta), I would, but so far, I don't know how. anyways.
I'll do my best to explain this. If you can, throw the two barrels down the conveyor belt before you see the "orange" glow (meaning a saved spot). if backtracking a little in the game is no problem, that may be best. that way, when you to the last saved spot, you're down there WITH the two barrels.
Now, both barrels should be standing upward. Place the barrels close to the first steam square. When the first square is open (no steam), jump on onto the barrel (which should be on the steam square).
Turn around and grab the other barrel and move it close to you, but closer towards the exit. Take only a few steps, looking all the way down. turn around. grab that first barrel, and move that around you, towards the exit. look down, take a few steps, making sure you're not going too far. turn around, and grab the other barrel, and like I say, rinse and repeat. if I could upload a video (create one actually), I'd show you, but I have no idea on how that is done.
08-19-2007, 04:37 AM
Find
Nikson Offline

Threads: 0

There is already a video on YouTube demonstrating this exact technique. Let me go find it...

Edit: Here ya go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYzoDd4EJQ
08-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Guest7:
So the crash happens after you have restarted (died and presseed continue) in the steam room? And it never happens close to a save game?

Have you installed the latest patch?
08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Find
Guest7 Offline

Threads: 17

Thank you JB for explaining it again. I didn't know about the orange glow save spots, this will HELP alot!.
N,that you tube video was great. Now I know other people play this game with craziness too-- throwing barrels and rocks around, etc.
MY computer does not go as fast as N's runthrough of the SteamRoom, I wish it did.
Thomas, yes the crashes happen, after I burn and die, press the continue button and it crashes. But not always, only after many attempts to cross the SteamRoom at one sittting. I have not installed the updates, for fear that I will have to start all over from the beginning.
Will installing the updates, erase any games I have saved?
Thanks all Smile
08-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

All save games still work after installing patch. Try if you can reproduce crash with patch and if so upload the save game here (save game closes to the crash that is) and I can check.
08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Find