Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a good idea for a custom story?
Area 72 Offline

Threads: 1
Is this a good idea for a custom story?

So, I've been thinking of making a custom story that primarily is a very sad story, but still trying to be scary.

The premise of the story is basically you are a father of a 6-year-old child. Your wife died during childbirth, also leaving the newborn dead. Now, you're very protective of the only thing important to you--your daughter, Isabella. But when you are framed for a crime you didn't commit, you seek refuge at a castle (need a name for it) a few miles away from town, which says they can help you. When you think it can get any worse, the castle's owner has kidnapped your daughter, and as a father, you will do whatever it take to find Isabella. Whatever.. it takes..

--

Yes, it lacked lots of details. I wanted to keep some of the more detailed stuff if I decided to make it (depending on what you guys think). I do have a twist that goes along with it, but you're gonna have to play in order to figure it out.

So what do you think, is it a good idea or not?
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2013, 02:16 AM by Area 72.)
08-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Is this a good idea for a custom story?

Bit of advice, make sure you give the player a reason why we should rescue this girl other than "she's your daughter". And not a "I need her for a ritual" kind of thing, I mean present us with great character strengths. It'll benefit the custom story greatly Smile

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
08-28-2013, 04:53 AM
Find
Area 72 Offline

Threads: 1

Thanks for the advice. I do have a reason for them taking the daughter, but I would have to think more about why you should go and get her. And if all else fails, I think the twist will do the trick.
08-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Find
Reminiscity Offline

Threads: 16

(08-28-2013, 04:53 AM)LHudson Wrote: Bit of advice, make sure you give the player a reason why we should rescue this girl other than "she's your daughter". And not a "I need her for a ritual" kind of thing, I mean present us with great character strengths. It'll benefit the custom story greatly Smile

Isn't the fact that she's your daughter a good enough reason to rescue her? xD I would say it is.

My mod Amadeus
09-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(09-05-2013, 09:51 PM)Reminiscity Wrote:
(08-28-2013, 04:53 AM)LHudson Wrote: Bit of advice, make sure you give the player a reason why we should rescue this girl other than "she's your daughter". And not a "I need her for a ritual" kind of thing, I mean present us with great character strengths. It'll benefit the custom story greatly Smile

Isn't the fact that she's your daughter a good enough reason to rescue her? xD I would say it is.

He shouldn't use that as the only reason, it becomes another "rescue the princess" trope stereotype.

Quote: But when you are framed for a crime you didn't commit,

That's stunningly like heavy rain. Though I hope you're going to do something more sophisticated than just exhibition through notes.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

In my opinion, you CAN use "rescue your daughter" as the initial pushing force to send your player character off on their journey. However during the course of the game make sure to flesh out certain aspects to both make the story seem more interesting, and to make the player regard rescuing your daughter all the more a very necessary task.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Find
summit Offline

Threads: 20

(09-06-2013, 06:37 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: In my opinion, you CAN use "rescue your daughter" as the initial pushing force to send your player character off on their journey. However during the course of the game make sure to flesh out certain aspects to both make the story seem more interesting, and to make the player regard rescuing your daughter all the more a very necessary task.
Isn't that used in AAMFP? I dunno.

Maybe you can make a custom story not scary, focused on the main story, emotional, pyschological horror.
09-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Find
Onlinezigeuner Away

Threads: 0

Just go for it. Im glad for any good custom story.
10-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Website Find