Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should Lovecraft's works/world be the next game(s) made by Frictional Games?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
57.14%
4 57.14%
Nope.
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Shub-Niggurath and friends in the next Frictional Games horror story?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Shub-Niggurath and friends in the next Frictional Games horror story?

I have never read any of Lovecraft's books, but I've heard of Shub-Niggurath through Quake 1 (since she was my first introduction, she's my favorite). Now I love the looks of the creatuers in the card game "Call of the Cthulhu" (which separates the humans and monsters into factions, giving us a look into what the monsters are like... plus I love her look in this game better. She's scarier looking, Godzilla sized, and can hunt you down!).

This world seems perfect for Frictional Games because: they are frightening looking, with so many factions of good guys and monsters one could make huge number of tales, with Shub-Niggurath and Cthulhu being so massive just being chased by one of them would make a Brute/Water Horror/Giant Worm chase seem peaceful in comparison, and by making horror games based closely off of Lovecraft's popular works... his fans will flock to these games.

I would love, and be scared, to be chased by the Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath and by Shub-Niggurath herself (to me she sounds more dangerous than Cthulhu because she is, at least in the card game, just as tough as Cthulhu but can spawn an endless suplly of Dark Young. They don't call her the 'Black Mistress with a thousand Young' for nothing!)

Besides stating the reason(s) as to why this should (or should not) be Frictional Games' next horror stories, what's your favorite monster(s) in the Lovecraft world?
02-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Shub-Niggurath and friends in the next Frictional Games horror story?

Penumbra and Amnesia was already a heavy Lovecraftian stories. They might not want to go for it for the third time, and I'd like to see something different from these genius people.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2012, 08:24 AM by Tanshaydar.)
02-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Website Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

Basically, what Tan said. Their previous games were heavily inspired by Lovecrafts works, and other game companies have made games more directly related (e.g. Call of Cthulhu).

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
02-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(02-04-2012, 08:24 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Penumbra and Amnesia was already a heavy Lovecraftian stories. They might not want to go for it for the third time, and I'd like to see something different from these genius people.
I didn't realize they were heavy Lovecraftian stories. I thought they would go for another Lovecraftain story, seeing that Amnesia: The Dark Descent is currently rated the scariest game ever made... they could try and top themselves (kind of like making a sequel movie, each sequel has to be better than the last to be memorable).

02-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

(02-04-2012, 07:15 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 08:24 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Penumbra and Amnesia was already a heavy Lovecraftian stories. They might not want to go for it for the third time, and I'd like to see something different from these genius people.
I didn't realize they were heavy Lovecraftian stories. I thought they would go for another Lovecraftain story, seeing that Amnesia: The Dark Descent is currently rated the scariest game ever made... they could try and top themselves (kind of like making a sequel movie, each sequel has to be better than the last to be memorable).
Well, they're not Lovecraftian in the literal sense. As in, they're not based directly on a Lovecraft story, rather the games are made in his style, for lack of better wording. And when it comes to their next game, as you may or may not be aware, it is not going to be horror-focused. That is to say, they won't forgo horror completely, but it is the story that will be in focus. Personally, I think this is a good move on their part. Amnesia was very similar to Penumbra, gameplay-wise. However, it is the story that makes it the great game it is. They will probably return to horror eventually, with all the lessons they will learn from their next game/games as well as the ones they have learned from Penumbra/Amnesia. Their next horror game will probably (hopefully) top Amnesia in all ways.

02-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(02-04-2012, 08:44 PM)Gasjockey Wrote:
Well, they're not Lovecraftian in the literal sense. As in, they're not based directly on a Lovecraft story, rather the games are made in his style, for lack of better wording. And when it comes to their next game, as you may or may not be aware, it is not going to be horror-focused. That is to say, they won't forgo horror completely, but it is the story that will be in focus. Personally, I think this is a good move on their part. Amnesia was very similar to Penumbra, gameplay-wise. However, it is the story that makes it the great game it is. They will probably return to horror eventually, with all the lessons they will learn from their next game/games as well as the ones they have learned from Penumbra/Amnesia. Their next horror game will probably (hopefully) top Amnesia in all ways.
I figured it was lovecraftian style and not literal story. I have heard that the next game will be less horror, which sounds like Penumbra more than Amnesia. While it will be less horror, the monsters could easily be even more frightening and powerful than Penumbra and Amnesia (at least one can hope).

I hope its alright that I hope to see Shub-Niggurath in Frictional Games (I have my own plans myself, but that requires creating a whole new monster), either fan made or official, just to get more familiar with Lovecraft's universe (Penumbra and Amnesia were both fun, and since they are Lovecraft inspired, I think I'd enjoy a Lovecraft story).

02-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

(02-05-2012, 05:56 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 08:44 PM)Gasjockey Wrote:
I figured it was lovecraftian style and not literal story. I have heard that the next game will be less horror, which sounds like Penumbra more than Amnesia. While it will be less horror, the monsters could easily be even more frightening and powerful than Penumbra and Amnesia (at least one can hope).

I hope its alright that I hope to see Shub-Niggurath in Frictional Games (I have my own plans myself, but that requires creating a whole new monster), either fan made or official, just to get more familiar with Lovecraft's universe (Penumbra and Amnesia were both fun, and since they are Lovecraft inspired, I think I'd enjoy a Lovecraft story).
Of course it's alright, everyone is allowed their own opinion. I'm just saying it's a bit unlikely, but hey, you never know.

02-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

I'm a little puzzled by this statement, you've been talking about how you like these lovecraftian things, but you couldn't recognize that Amnesia and Penumbra have very lovecraftian elements in them?

Huh

02-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(02-06-2012, 12:15 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
I'm a little puzzled by this statement, you've been talking about how you like these lovecraftian things, but you couldn't recognize that Amnesia and Penumbra have very lovecraftian elements in them?

Huh
I've never read any official Lovecraft story, just seen some of the creatures from those stories he made (Shub-Niggurath, her Dark Young, Dimensional Shamblers, etc). That's why I didn't realize the game was based off of the Lovecraftian world; because (at first) all I had to go on were monsters... not story style (seeing the monsters in the Call of the Cthulhu card game that is of the Lovecraft world has helped me to see more into this universe and its characters/monsters). After playing Penumbra and Amnesia, I am eager for more into this style. I hope this helps to clear things up.

02-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

That is indeed less confusing
02-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Website Find