Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

I never played Dear Esther, but I played the mod. I'm assuming they are technically the same games. Dear Esther is a story telling game. Amnesia is a survival horror. They are 2 different games, and I assume Chinese Room and Frictional are going to bring together what they have done and make a brilliant game. I'm assuming Frictional Games will bring the scares and the elements, and Chinese Room will bring the storyline and atmosphere (These are what I found greatest in each games).

Why do people always point out the flaws in a game developer when two of them work together? It kind of makes me mad when people do that.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
03-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Truth Master

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/03/13/x-isnt-a-game/
---------------------------
END OF RINE.
RINE ENDS HERE.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2012, 06:59 PM by Kein.)
03-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

Umm.. What the hell do you mean that the game will be entirely done by thechineseroom?

In any case, you shouldn't judge it before you actually even see any gameplay/play it yourself.

03-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:They are 2 different games, and I assume Chinese Room and Frictional are
going to bring together what they have done and make a brilliant game.
I'm assuming Frictional Games will bring the scares and the elements,
and Chinese Room will bring the storyline and atmosphere (These are what
I found greatest in each games).

Not really the case. Frictional is basically just 'keeping an eye on it'. TheChineseRoom is taking full development responsibilities and have said that they pretty much have full creative control.

I also don't think Frictional's talents are so limited to just being scary. While Penumbra and Amnesia are indeed terrifying, I also think they have amazing stories to them as well. Better than most games out there.

This is why I think TCR is a good fit. They are just promising as far as creating an eerie and thoughtful game. They've made it clear that this game is not going to play like Dear Esther. Not sure why anyone would have believed that to begin with, though.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012, 01:29 AM by Nyarlathotep.)
03-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Nyarlathotep

I kind of hinted in my post. People need to stop to treat other developers like, well, some well-known developing studio that just stamps the same boring games with the same concept over and over.

DE was an experiment, developers wasn't just making some game without any kind of direction and spontaneous, it was a project with dedicated conception from the very beginning and it was supposed to be like that. They are perfectly aware of the concept of Amnesia games from Frictional and more than that, they are working together with original developers. For TCR it is the opportunity to try something new but on familiar field, while for Frictional Games it is the opportunity to bring something new in Amnesia without putting on hold current project (which, again, will be "something new", but from FG themselves).

Chill out guys, the game is in good hands and under wise control.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012, 02:49 AM by Kein.)
03-25-2012, 02:49 AM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

(03-25-2012, 02:49 AM)Kein Wrote: Nyarlathotep

I kind of hinted in my post. People need to stop to treat other developers like, well, some well-known developing studio that just stamps the same boring games with the same concept over and over.

DE was an experiment, developers wasn't just making some game without any kind of direction and spontaneous, it was a project with dedicated conception from the very beginning and it was supposed to be like that. They are perfectly aware of the concept of Amnesia games from Frictional and more than that, they are working together with original developers. For TCR it is the opportunity to try something new but on familiar field, while for Frictional Games it is the opportunity to bring something new in Amnesia without putting on hold current project (which, again, will be "something new", but from FG themselves).

Chill out guys, the game is in good hands and under wise control.
Well said!

03-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(03-25-2012, 02:49 AM)Kein Wrote: Chill out guys, the game is in good hands and under wise control.
This may could be true, but for some reason I think, this game will be too short.

03-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-25-2012, 02:45 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(03-25-2012, 02:49 AM)Kein Wrote: Chill out guys, the game is in good hands and under wise control.
This may could be true, but for some reason I think, this game will be too short.
Why do think it will be too short? It's not like they are doing anything from scratch, all the tools are there. TCR are saving a lot of time using the HPL 2 engine.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
03-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

HPL2 is one of the easiest engines to create content for. If I'm correct, Frictional Games only left level design, modelling and other small things for The Chinese Room to successfully make another Amnesia game.
Since it will be on HPL 2.1, I hope Frictional Games fixed some of the annoying bugs like
rotating in level editor. Also create some kind of displacement tool inside the level editor. Modelling grounds is not fun...
Also can't wait to combine MFP and TDD content together for future custom stories!
03-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Find
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11

The only thing I want in the Level Editor is better camera controls.

Amen.
03-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Find