Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: What do you look forward to the most in Amnesia: A Machine for pigs

(05-29-2012, 09:10 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: Atmosphere for me. Jump scares are never used in the original game and are WAY over used in custom stories, fair enough they are scary, but it just gets the heart racing.

I prefer the game to lead on with not much happening, like in the original, then it slowly introduces new scares
No jumpscare? There are mild ones, such as the papers flying around and the doors randomly shutting in your face. Those are jumpscares, except that they're logical ones, they make sense because they use the wind to do it. A naked man flying down a hallway does not make sense.
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

(05-29-2012, 09:52 AM)Traggey Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 09:10 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: Atmosphere for me. Jump scares are never used in the original game and are WAY over used in custom stories, fair enough they are scary, but it just gets the heart racing.

I prefer the game to lead on with not much happening, like in the original, then it slowly introduces new scares
No jumpscare? There are mild ones, such as the papers flying around and the doors randomly shutting in your face. Those are jumpscares, except that they're logical ones, they make sense because they use the wind to do it. A naked man flying down a hallway does not make sense.
Yeah sorry that's what I was referring to as a jump scare. Just random body's, objects and monsters spawning at stupid moments are just pointless and some of them are predictable.

Yeah the intro part of the game where the doors open, wind blows the lights out and things moving, that's scary and just increases the atmosphere and the players fear.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
05-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

I must say that I want AMFP to be nothing like TDD. I don't mean the story setting but gameplay-wise. I want to get scared by the monster and not think like; "Oh, it's just another stupid NPC who can't see anything, hurr durr."
I want twists! Where there are no 100% monster proof objects, like closet. Going behind a desk or something may be nice. Like Penumbra did. I still get chills when I play that part.
Closets are SO mainstream!
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM by Mehis.)
05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

(05-26-2012, 08:28 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 07:54 PM)Darkchef Wrote: This whole talk about the new game is getting embarrassing. Just wait until we see a demo or something new Tongue
we could be waiting for a very, very long time. And i would consider two weeks a very long time because of how much i want info on this game haha
Yeah well i'm looking forward to it too... but I have no idea how it will turn out Tongue

(05-29-2012, 02:45 PM)Mehis Wrote: I must say that I want AMFP to be nothing like TDD. I don't mean the story setting but gameplay-wise. I want to get scared by the monster and not think like; "Oh, it's just another stupid NPC who can't see anything, hurr durr."

I want twists! Where there are no 100% monster proof objects, like closet. Going behind a desk or something may be nice. Like Penumbra did. I still get chills when I play that part.

I think the engine has been updated to do more physics based stuff ... hence HPL 2.1.... well I think so anyway Tongue
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 07:48 PM by Darkchef.)
05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(05-29-2012, 02:45 PM)Mehis Wrote: I must say that I want AMFP to be nothing like TDD. I don't mean the story setting but gameplay-wise. I want to get scared by the monster and not think like; "Oh, it's just another stupid NPC who can't see anything, hurr durr."

This is so wrong.
When the monsters don't see you, it's not the bad KI.
It is because when they don't see you, you'll have the chance to hide and they can walking past to you.
When a monster is walking past to you, it is by far more scary instead of when it's killing you.
It's not scary when a monster is killing you, because you had no chance to hide! If a monster is walking next to you but without see you, then it will be horror.
What did a game do when a monster is killing you? Nothing, it's so killing the immersion only!
It's pulling you out of the game by loading a new savegame automatically.

So the best horror is when the KI of a monster is "bad" that it doesn't attack you, because to see the monster is the horror.

You shouldn't do tricks or acrobatic to escape. This would made an action game of Amnesia.
I really like the "bad" KI, it's the best way to feel horror when you see a monster.

If it's harder to escape, then the monster will kill you and the game break.

Amnesia did it right.
05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(05-26-2012, 08:28 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: we could be waiting for a very, very long time. And i would consider two weeks a very long time because of how much i want info on this game haha

I believe they want to release the game before the end of the year.
05-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

Like many people have stated before, I'd rather have the game take long and be fully complete and packed with content than rushed with minimal content.

05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(05-29-2012, 08:48 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
Spoiler below!

This is so wrong.
When the monsters don't see you, it's not the bad KI.
It is because when they don't see you, you'll have the chance to hide and they can walking past to you.
When a monster is walking past to you, it is by far more scary instead of when it's killing you.
It's not scary when a monster is killing you, because you had no chance to hide! If a monster is walking next to you but without see you, then it will be horror.
What did a game do when a monster is killing you? Nothing, it's so killing the immersion only!
It's pulling you out of the game by loading a new savegame automatically.

So the best horror is when the KI of a monster is "bad" that it doesn't attack you, because to see the monster is the horror.

You shouldn't do tricks or acrobatic to escape. This would made an action game of Amnesia.
I really like the "bad" KI, it's the best way to feel horror when you see a monster.

If it's harder to escape, then the monster will kill you and the game break.

Amnesia did it right.
I do agree but I think they could make some updates to the AI, so that if it's chasing you and you put a drawer over your face, it won't walk away. Or if you turn a corner and it's like Wtf? Where did he go? and stops chasing, that shouldn't be happening.

Quote:I believe they want to release the game before the end of the year.

They want the release to be in the Fall. For halloween. A good wait for how long they've been working on it. But some videos or something sure would be nice! Tease me more frictional/chineseroom Smile

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 12:08 AM by Damascus Rose.)
05-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(05-29-2012, 11:12 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: Yeah the intro part of the game where the doors open, wind blows the lights out and things moving, that's scary and just increases the atmosphere and the players fear.
Haha that scared the shit outta me the first time. But there's also some jumpscares like in the storage when you open the door and there's a grunt right there. But yeah, there are jumpscares in the game, they just don't really have the classic random loud ass noises.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
05-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

I said story!
I'm very interested and quite curious as to what they'll think up this time. I do like environment and atmosphere, but imo it's all wasted if you don't have a good storyline. I'm dying to know what machines and pigs has to do with Amnesia. And if you still get to be Daniel. (Don't tell me if you know)

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
05-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Find