Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(06-26-2012, 08:36 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 03:54 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Ok, so on twitter Dan Pinchbeck posted that Samuel Justice's work involves 'fisting a pot of mayonnaise.' I donno about you guys, but I am imagining a part where you get stuck in something like mud and there's a monster like the kaernk chasing you Tongue
That sounds good, sorta like the water monster accept slower haha. Great game mechanic, would make the chase sequences more intense for the player. It's sounding promising. I do love how they record the sounds, it's so simple but with some editing makes it scary
Yeah that's the most interesting thing I could imagine (well not really, but the most realistic one I imagined) for what the sound of fisting mayonnaise could be for. Either that or some kind of suction.

And yeah, sound design is really something I find interesting and it amazes me how they can create these perfect sounds for games! And from what I've seen on Samuel Justice we have an excellent one working on this game Tongue

What I'm looking forward to most in this game is really the whole look and atmosphere of it and the level design. The story sounds good but the world is what really makes it a good experience. I must say though, the story they have so far mixed with the concept art has some really REALLY cool implications. My mind is running wild with ideas Big Grin

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
06-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Well after finally getting to play Dear Esther I'd say that if there's something thechineseroom are really good at, it's creating atmospheric and stunning environments. So if we combine that with frictional-levels of scariness, a machine for pigs should have an absolutely amazingly frightening world to explore. It's science! Big Grin

Anyway, I think what I'm looking forward to the most is the actual machine. I mean you have nasty mutant monsters all the time in games, but how often do you have a giant evil steampunk pig slaughtering machine? I really hope that it gets to play an active role in the actual horror element of the game instead of just providing an interesting environment to be chased through by the pig monsters Wink (although uh...I have no idea how that would work...)
06-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

Yeah the atmosphere has to be spot on to match the last title. I'm sure thechineseroom will do a great job with the environments. I'm hoping for some more freedom, not that there wasn't with TDD, but the open areas have some great potential, for the game and for future custom stories.

The machine will be cool, it might be a slaughter machine or maybe a something completely different. I'm hoping they don't use too much from TDD, such as the objects and noises, but like some new sounds when the monster chases you and lots of new songs for the soundtracks.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM by BrooksyFC.)
06-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Find
Oink Offline

It's worth remembering that graphic artist Robert Briscoe did 99% of the hard work on the graphic environments for Dear Esther, and he's NOT working on A Machine for Pigs. Not that it's a problem, just putting it out there that anyone expecting AAMFP to look like Dear Esther will be disappointed.

AAMFP is likely to look fairly similar to TDD, just tarted up a bit and with some new physics and loads of new environments.

At least, that's what I gather from various interviews and the teaser.
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Yeah I don't think it's a bad thing having similar graphics, but a new story, enemies and puzzles e.t.c (Kinda like Call of Duty Wink )

As soon as I saw the outdoor areas, I was sold on this. It will be a great game, new lighting by the looks of it, might be some back and forth parts with the streets. I can't wait to hear more on this

06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

(06-27-2012, 09:24 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: I'm hoping they don't use too much from TDD, such as the objects and noises, but like some new sounds when the monster chases you and lots of new songs for the soundtracks.

Why do I get the feeling this is the reason for the delay? That they're going to create more new assets so you don't constantly go "This sure partially looks like TDD."
06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

(06-27-2012, 11:20 AM)MegaScience Wrote: Why do I get the feeling this is the reason for the delay? That they're going to create more new assets so you don't constantly go "This sure partially looks like TDD."
You know what, not to a bad thought. Someone must have mentioned it and to be fair there are a lot of assets used from TDD. Not a lot, but things like flooring, doors, tables and walls all look too similar. Not sure how long it would take, it's just changing the texture and giving it another name.

06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

But wouldn't it be easier to hire someone to make new assets and then reuse them throughout the game instead of rehashing from TDD?
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(06-27-2012, 01:15 PM)wtfomg Wrote: But wouldn't it be easier to hire someone to make new assets and then reuse them throughout the game instead of rehashing from TDD?
Well, the assets from TDD already exist so all they have to do is copy the files.. hiring someone costs money..

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Find
Oink Offline

After watching a let's play of TDD on YouTube, a couple of thoughts popped into my head regarding things that I'd like to see changed in AAMFP:

a) Give the player the ability to snuff out any lit torches or candles

b) Stop using the now highly predictable 'scary moment' whenever a player completes a task (whether it's a distant growl, a scream, whatever)

Any others? Smile
06-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Find