Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(10-17-2012, 04:53 AM)Chronofox Wrote: I find it interesting that that article mentions both TDD's inability to fight back as well as the horror in Silent Hill 2, a game where you could fight back against monsters.
When do you think "fighting back" is appropriate in a horror game?
It depends on the game, on the horror set up and story. In Sh fighting makes sense and has justification and meaning behind (because monsters is not actually real, well, it is complicated).

(10-17-2012, 05:26 AM)Statyk Wrote: Honestly... I was never "scared" in Silent Hill. I just enjoyed the environment and the monster designs. I see hardly any similarity between Amnesia and Silent Hill. I don't get why people keep comparing them like they're the same =\
SH1 and SH2 was damn good and genuine (especially 1, scared the shit out of me with Otherworld; it was kind of brutal, straight, transcend). But I do not recommend to play any other games in the series.

As for similarities... well, both games highly relate to the grotesque part of the horror and monster design and the feeling of being purchased, being under pressure (and not on jump scares like RE or DS).

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM by Kein.)
10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Honestly... I was never "scared" in Silent Hill. I just enjoyed the environment and the monster designs. I see hardly any similarity between Amnesia and Silent Hill. I don't get why people keep comparing them like they're the same =\
Me neither. I think Silent Hill 2 is an amazing game, (and i absolutely LOVED the general idea of Silent Hill: The Room, even though the actual game was average at best) but it didn't scare me in the slightest. Most of that was because of the godawful camera though. If the game had been in first person or even normal third person I would have been totally immersed and scared, but like this? It made me feel like I was a security camera under the ceiling, watching some drunk guy run into walls.

The worst parts were when you entered a room with the camera facing the door and there was a monster behind the camera. Sure, you'll be startled when it suddenly comes into view, but it doesn't make any sense: The character is looking at the camera and thus at the monster behind it, but he is not showing any reaction or emotion. Total immersion-breaker for me.

I think the similarities are for example, that the story is mainly about the personal fears and experiences of the protagonist. There is no big alien threat or zombie apocalypse happening, its just one guy who has very personal problems and is also probably a bit insane.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Well, I think Silent Hill has been cited as an influence for both Frictional Games and thechineseroom, so it's worth mentioning to that extent. Gameplay wise they're very different, but Silent Hill is much more dark and disturbing than the usual survival horror games of its style.

The original Silent Hill was the first game to genuinely scare me and I'd still rank it up close to Amnesia regarding my personal favorites. I also think 2 and especially 4 are worth a look. Silent Hill 4: The Room disturbed me like no other game, its art and story are just, messed up and so well done. It also has some nice experimental gameplay, though not flawless.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
10-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I would say that the two series are two entirely different brands of horror. Amnesia makes your mind go wild and puts you under extreme pressure with its stifling darkness. Silent Hill is eerie and relies more on anxiety to disturb the player.

I remember Toluca Prison in SH2 as being one of the most disturbing places I've ever encountered in any video game, primarily because of this one hallway. To this day, I don't understand what was stomping behind the bars or why the door behind you suddenly locks at 6:54 only to inconspicuously open up seconds later.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM by Froge.)
10-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote:Silent Hill 4: The Room disturbed me like no other game, its art and story are just, messed up and so well done. It also has some nice experimental gameplay, though not flawless.
Yeah that's what I meant. The whole premise of the game is awesome. I love how it stays really close to reality but twists it slightly to create its horror. Don't know how to put it better...I mean that apartment is almost normal at the beginning, like you could really imagine living there. The only thing wrong about it is - well - you can't leave it. Literally, because the door's chained up. And there's a hole in the wall. It's like one of those really strange dreams one has so often about normal everyday things...and I'd like to see more games attempting that sort of horror.

But then on the other hand, the gameplay is...just not to my taste. I played it halfway through and then when I realized they seriously expected me to play every level a second time, only now with an immortal guy with a pistol stalking me, I was like "nope" and watched the rest on youtube. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012, 01:48 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Yeah, the apartment aspect is excellent.

I was all right with the second half of the game, though. Fit well enough in with the story and the actual gameplay events were different despite being set in the same areas. The spiral staircase and increasingly dangerous apartment room were worth it. And, my god, the second time through the apartment world is the highlight of the entire series for me.

Quote:I would say that the two series are two entirely different brands of horror. Amnesia makes your mind go wild and puts you under extreme pressure with its stifling darkness. Silent Hill is eerie and relies more on anxiety to disturb the player.

That I can agree with. The monsters in the games aren't usually the key source of horror most of the time. Though, 4 is an example of one that does. The ghosts are both pretty disturbing and it gets tense while they're chasing. But they're not instant deaths at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3gd21ATDuw
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012, 06:14 AM by Nyarlathotep.)
10-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

Hey guys, new interview!

http://nvisionapp.com/latest/article/amn...hineseroom
10-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Find
Piacesi Offline

Pls guys, answer me, what is the day that will launch amnesia: a machine for pigs ?

I love the amnesia but i dont know the day of the launch, i new in the forum and i need help.

Thanks guys if you answer me. Smile

[Image: thank-you.jpg]
10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Find
Oink Offline

Thanks for that. Smile
10-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(10-18-2012, 08:24 PM)Piacesi Wrote: Pls guys, answer me, what is the day that will launch amnesia: a machine for pigs ?

I love the amnesia but i dont know the day of the launch, i new in the forum and i need help.

Thanks guys if you answer me. Smile
Some time in January 2013. Though, be ready, it might get delayed. There could be couple of reasons why that happens.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Website Find