Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

No offense intended at all to Zannibal but developers can only take into account what kind of people will play the game in a very general sense. Like: Is this a theme many people will consider unsettling? Like Hirnwirbel said, if they stopped to consider every little phobia their players had and designed their game with that in mind, in the end it wouldn't even be a horror game. If you have a crippling phobia of spiders then that is unfortunately your problem. I am mildly arachnophobic myself (don't think I have an actual clinical fear of spiders) and the spider tunnels almost caused me to have a panic attack, but it was so worth it; those parts are really intense.
12-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: I am mildly arachnophobic myself (don't think I have an actual clinicalfear of spiders) and the spider tunnels almost caused me to have a panic attack, but it was so worth it; those parts are really intense.
Haha, see, for me it was the opposite effect. I was like "Oh thank god it's just spiders... phew!". The dogs on the other hand... man, fuck everything that growls. Makes me tense up like crazy. o.O
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

Let's also consider the various small creatures in ATDD - cockroaches and mice/rats- some people have phobias of them. So should they not have been included?

Then there's claustrophia - perhaps eliminate all tunnels and enclosed spaces?

Etc.

In other words - it's a game - if people can't take it then don't play.
12-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Find
Zannibal Offline

Threads: 2

(12-01-2012, 12:45 PM)Bridge Wrote: No offense intended at all to Zannibal but developers can only take into account what kind of people will play the game in a very general sense. Like: Is this a theme many people will consider unsettling? Like Hirnwirbel said, if they stopped to consider every little phobia their players had and designed their game with that in mind, in the end it wouldn't even be a horror game.
Of course I know that, but fortunately for me, arachnophobia seems to be the most common phobia in the world Big Grin If I was a developer, I would possibly leave spiders out of the game because of that. And because I wouldn't be able to play my own game.

And yeah, I knew about the Skyrim mod Big Grin For some reason, I still haven't loaded it yet.. And my god the amount of panic attacks is too damn high. There's even a NPC with arachnophobia in that game.
12-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Of course I know that, but fortunately for me, arachnophobia seems to be the most common phobia in the world [Image: biggrin.gif] If I was a developer, I would possibly leave spiders out of the game because of that.
I don't know... I've also met a shitload of people who only think they have arachnophobia. Mostly because their parents told them from a young age that spiders are icky and it kinda stuck....

Now, don't get me wrong, of course there are also people with a real arachnophobia! In fact I think that calling one's feel of "spiders are kinda icky and scary" a fully grown phobia is actually very disrespectful towards those who really have one. (like you I guess)
So yeah, all I'm saying is that the number of people who claim they have arachnophobia is probably way higher than the actual number. So, no, I wouldn't consider that if I was a game designer. Wink
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
12-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(12-01-2012, 01:39 PM)Ossie Wrote: Let's also consider the various small creatures in ATDD - cockroaches and mice/rats- some people have phobias of them. So should they not have been included?

Then there's claustrophia - perhaps eliminate all tunnels and enclosed spaces?

Etc.

In other words - it's a game - if people can't take it then don't play.
He kind of has a point. No need to use exaggeration here to show other side (explicit and detailed gore, rape, etc), but if you plan to make a game for "everyone" you end up with mediocre "resident evil" (tho it has arachnids).

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

(12-01-2012, 01:30 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: I am mildly arachnophobic myself (don't think I have an actual clinicalfear of spiders) and the spider tunnels almost caused me to have a panic attack, but it was so worth it; those parts are really intense.
Haha, see, for me it was the opposite effect. I was like "Oh thank god it's just spiders... phew!". The dogs on the other hand... man, fuck everything that growls. Makes me tense up like crazy. o.O
They don't scare me if I can kill them with my pickax distract them with my beef jerkys and blow them up with my dynamite Penumbra style
Otherwise they are making me nervous
12-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(12-01-2012, 04:42 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: They don't scare me if I can kill them with my pickax distract them with my beef jerkys and blow them up with my dynamite Penumbra style
A horror game with unhandly combat like Penumbra Overture works better than Amnesia where enemies disappear after a minute of crawling. The dogs or spiders never disappear and also the game is not designed to fight back. The pickaxe is more a tool instead a weapon and the system works great. The dogs are enormously dangerous.
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: They don't scare me if I can kill them with my pickax distract them withmy beef jerkys and blow them up with my dynamite Penumbra style

Well after I found out that was possible, I was definitely a bit less scared. But the first time that dog showed up... man I was sure I would die xD
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
12-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(12-01-2012, 05:18 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 04:42 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: They don't scare me if I can kill them with my pickax distract them with my beef jerkys and blow them up with my dynamite Penumbra style
A horror game with unhandly combat like Penumbra Overture works better than Amnesia where enemies disappear after a minute of crawling. The dogs or spiders never disappear and also the game is not designed to fight back. The pickaxe is more a tool instead a weapon and the system works great. The dogs are enormously dangerous.
That's why Black Plague's enemy system is the best. You can't kill them and they don't disappear.
12-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Find