Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Release] The Nightmares
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37
[Release] The Nightmares

This custom story is a short one, giving you plenty of scares, a few puzzles, and letters and notes that will be fun for your mind to interpret. Solve puzzles, run away from the many dangers of your dreams, and don't let them find you.

Story:
Spoiler below!
The Nightmares is a custom story with no set storyline. Use the notes and letters for your mind to make up a story of your own.

Things To Know:
Spoiler below!
This is my first CS, and for what it's worth, not my last. While working on it, I was told some important information: People don't like stories revolving around monsters. I couldn't edit a whole lot, so I was only able to add a few puzzles. My next map will include a lot more puzzles. Please give me constructive criticism in the comments.

Screenshots/Videos:
Spoiler below!

.png   Untitled2.png (Size: 1.35 KB / Downloads: 819)

.png   Untitled3.png (Size: 110.15 KB / Downloads: 211)

.png   Map.png (Size: 426.47 KB / Downloads: 197)

Those screenshots do not include every map. Do not worry, there isn't only one map there.

Let's Plays:
Spoiler below!

Downloads:

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM by Strembitsky.)
02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5
RE: [Release] The Nightmares

Nice start, anyway!
keep up the good work.
would like to see bigger areas and maybe outdoor would be nice to see Smile
02-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

(02-09-2012, 09:23 PM)Dark Knight Wrote: Nice start, anyway!
keep up the good work.
would like to see bigger areas and maybe outdoor would be nice to see Smile
Thanks for the feedback. Next one might have a few outdoor areas Smile

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
02-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

Told ya in your first thread that I would review this. So review I shall.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler below!

- Went into your files to delete the map_cache files. These aren't needed when you upload, as they'll only increase filesize and may cause bugs.
- Your maps are named uniquely. This is good, as it won't cause conflict with other stories.
- That statue had better not be there because of the reason I think it's there.
- Starting me off (more or less) with a monster sequence, eh? This is effective for the people who like to play hide and seek in this game. It's more effective to introduce monsters later and develop atmosphere, if you're looking to make the player nervous.
- You have texture clipping issues. You can remedy this by making your objects fit together better, or by moving them by 0.001.
- Got turned around, as I was spawned in the general direction that the grunt is in, so I ran facefirst into him.
- And dead. Couldn't close the door in time. Drat.
- Ambient music would really help in all levels to improve atmosphere.
- It's not evident at first, but you really should put welders between all Castlebase walls. They aren't seamless.
- I picked up the stool the candle was on. Make it static, to avoid this happening and having a floating candle.
- You have some wall clipping in the library area. You could hide it with a welder, or place the walls better.
- For when placing walls above the bottom ones, use ones that are extensions.
- Pushing up on the lever made it go down. You probably have it upside down, or maybe that's an issue on my end. No matter.
- Oh, a brute attack. Probably a poofer....but we'll see.
- Yup.
- I'd recommend a low level boxlight in your map, so that vision is still possible without the lantern.
- You should name every single one of your keys.
- Poofer brute ambush. Sorry, monsters don't frighten me these days. Too many people utilize this "tactic".
- "What the fuck is going on!?" Indeed.
- Proper grammar and punctuation. <3
- Your rooms so far are fairly bland. You may want to spice things up with rugs, tapestries, candlesticks, and the like. Just to fill the room.
- I need to find* out what's going on.
- ...your, not you're heartbeat. Grammar nazi brain, activate.
- If he hears them coming from my room, how did they get out, kill him, and then lock the door leading into it?
- Hooray crowbar script!
- Oh, great. A hallway. Bad things, commence.
- Totally saw that coming. And got slaughtered, cause I ran headfirst into the door and closed it. Man, I suck at this run and hide thing.
- Hey, look. I saw this in your trailer.

Well, it most certainly was your first map. Keep the points I said above in mind, and try to work on atmosphere. I understand that you find monsters to be a scary aspect of the game, heck, I even thought they were terrifying when I did mine. But atmosphere is far more important, as it causes suspense and makes the player feel what I like to call "True" fear. I'm sure you'll be able to make a decent second story. With more story, preferably. Wink

02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Ill try to give it a go then Smile.

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

(02-09-2012, 10:43 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote: Told ya in your first thread that I would review this. So review I shall.
Spoiler below!

- Went into your files to delete the map_cache files. These aren't needed when you upload, as they'll only increase filesize and may cause bugs.
- Your maps are named uniquely. This is good, as it won't cause conflict with other stories.
- That statue had better not be there because of the reason I think it's there.
- Starting me off (more or less) with a monster sequence, eh? This is effective for the people who like to play hide and seek in this game. It's more effective to introduce monsters later and develop atmosphere, if you're looking to make the player nervous.
- You have texture clipping issues. You can remedy this by making your objects fit together better, or by moving them by 0.001.
- Got turned around, as I was spawned in the general direction that the grunt is in, so I ran facefirst into him.
- And dead. Couldn't close the door in time. Drat.
- Ambient music would really help in all levels to improve atmosphere.
- It's not evident at first, but you really should put welders between all Castlebase walls. They aren't seamless.
- I picked up the stool the candle was on. Make it static, to avoid this happening and having a floating candle.
- You have some wall clipping in the library area. You could hide it with a welder, or place the walls better.
- For when placing walls above the bottom ones, use ones that are extensions.
- Pushing up on the lever made it go down. You probably have it upside down, or maybe that's an issue on my end. No matter.
- Oh, a brute attack. Probably a poofer....but we'll see.
- Yup.
- I'd recommend a low level boxlight in your map, so that vision is still possible without the lantern.
- You should name every single one of your keys.
- Poofer brute ambush. Sorry, monsters don't frighten me these days. Too many people utilize this "tactic".
- "What the fuck is going on!?" Indeed.
- Proper grammar and punctuation. <3
- Your rooms so far are fairly bland. You may want to spice things up with rugs, tapestries, candlesticks, and the like. Just to fill the room.
- I need to find* out what's going on.
- ...your, not you're heartbeat. Grammar nazi brain, activate.
- If he hears them coming from my room, how did they get out, kill him, and then lock the door leading into it?
- Hooray crowbar script!
- Oh, great. A hallway. Bad things, commence.
- Totally saw that coming. And got slaughtered, cause I ran headfirst into the door and closed it. Man, I suck at this run and hide thing.
- Hey, look. I saw this in your trailer.

Well, it most certainly was your first map. Keep the points I said above in mind, and try to work on atmosphere. I understand that you find monsters to be a scary aspect of the game, heck, I even thought they were terrifying when I did mine. But atmosphere is far more important, as it causes suspense and makes the player feel what I like to call "True" fear. I'm sure you'll be able to make a decent second story. With more story, preferably. Wink

Thanks a lot for the detailed review. I honestly read over my notes several, several times and I didn't see those two errors... guess I need to pay more attention!

(02-09-2012, 10:43 PM)Elven Wrote: Ill try to give it a go then Smile.

Awesome!

02-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Played it. Pretty well done for the first custom story Smile.

Gonna upload lets play later tho, prob not today Tongue. Had some fun with one grunt tho Smile.

Critism, all what hummmy said Smile

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM by Elven.)
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

(02-09-2012, 11:08 PM)Elven Wrote: Played it. Pretty well done for the first custom story Smile.

Gonna upload lets play later tho, prob not today Tongue. Had some fun with one grunt tho Smile.

Critism, all what hummmy said Smile
Thanks for the feedback!

02-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

I added a moddb page. It would be greatly appreciated if you reviewed the map over there Smile

02-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Find
JohnHawkz Offline

Threads: 5

I will record this one today and put it up youtube ^^
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Find