Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...

(04-04-2012, 05:16 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-04-2012, 04:31 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(04-04-2012, 03:51 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I suspect that people who don't at least get disturbed by Amnesia, have malfunctioning frontal lobes. There are genuine psychopaths who play Amnesia too. They take careless riscs because they don't register danger, and relate poorly to the characters (unless they get scared themselves, whereupon they become very aggressive). If PewDiePie isn't a psychopath, I'd be very, VERY surprised.
PewDiePie a psychopath? how?

I also notice a behavior when my friend is playing where there's a scary part and he just runs RIGHT through it (or into a monster) without seeming to care, but I know that he does get scared and running through it is his way to just, I guess pretend he isn't scared and try to ignore his feelings. It is kinda frustrating when I want to see his reaction to a scary part and he just runs through it like that... but this is off topic lol
There are many signs that PewDiePie is a psychopath. The most obvious is that he doesn't care about the kid in Happy Wheels, that he can interrupt notes about the most grizzly events with "LOL!" because he doesn't care about NPCs, and that he doesn't respect the rules in challenges. While I can't tell how he's really like when nobody is looking, the charm that he puts up is very superficial and careless. I've had relations with at least eight(!) psychopaths, so I know one when I see one.

The sad thing about Amnesia's style of play, is that if you run into and die from a monster, that monster won't respawn. Some players are using this as a conscious tactic to get through the game without having to bother with the monsters.
Not caring about the kid in happy wheels.. I honestly haven't seen a single person who DOES care about this kid, and it's a terrible example of being a psychopath.. And about interrupting notes with 'LOL', I assume you are referring to his responses to the many notes in custom stories, and to be honest it's hard to not treat a lot of those notes like jokes. Often they don't seem very realistic. A prime example of PewDiePie NOT being a psychopath, is to watch his first playthrough videos of amnesia. Just like most people, he was taking it seriously and having normal reactions to the heavy atmosphere and the scares. Just because he treats games as a joke sometimes doesn't make him a psychopath, lots of people do it.

And about monsters not re-spawning after killing you being 'sad', there's a good reason for it. The first time you see the monster, you know where it is and the scare has passed. If it re-spawned when you died and you had to deal with it again, not only would that be frustrating, but it would also be repetitive, and that's what Frictional is trying to minimize. If people are just running into monsters on purpose to deal with them easier, they must not be immersing themselves very well, because would you really do that in real life? no...

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
04-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-05-2012, 12:22 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Not caring about the kid in happy wheels.. I honestly haven't seen a single person who DOES care about this kid, and it's a terrible example of being a psychopath.. And about interrupting notes with 'LOL', I assume you are referring to his responses to the many notes in custom stories, and to be honest it's hard to not treat a lot of those notes like jokes. Often they don't seem very realistic. A prime example of PewDiePie NOT being a psychopath, is to watch his first playthrough videos of amnesia. Just like most people, he was taking it seriously and having normal reactions to the heavy atmosphere and the scares. Just because he treats games as a joke sometimes doesn't make him a psychopath, lots of people do it.

And about monsters not re-spawning after killing you being 'sad', there's a good reason for it. The first time you see the monster, you know where it is and the scare has passed. If it re-spawned when you died and you had to deal with it again, not only would that be frustrating, but it would also be repetitive, and that's what Frictional is trying to minimize. If people are just running into monsters on purpose to deal with them easier, they must not be immersing themselves very well, because would you really do that in real life? no...
While I'm sure that nobody is crying over Happy Wheels, normal people go "Wow, that's gotta hurt." or "Lol, that's some awful physics right there.". To PewDiePie concerns are always jokes.

While many notes can be terrible, he's not laughing at them being terrible. He's making puns instead of even trying to read the notes or associate to these NPCs. He doesn't concern himself with their fates one bit.

Also, this shows that PewDiePie doesn't care about the atmosphere or plot the creators were trying to establish, or that his repetitious jokes aren't even funny to a lot of his viewers. He just goes with what works according to the comments section. He doesn't care about anything else than him being immediately frightened.

Yes, a prime example of PewDiePie NOT being a psychopath, is to watch his first playthrough videos of Amnesia, which bring me to something disturbing: Psychopathy is a combination of a weak frontal lobe, and it being damaged from traumatic experiences like child abuse at an early age. PewDiePie states in the beginning that Amnesia is his first horror game, because he gets too scared of horror games. I honestly believe that Amnesia drove PewDiePie insane.

I've never actually played Forbidden Siren - just watched LPs - but I don't find those games repetitve. If I fail, I fail. It's just one monster, and after difficult sections there will usually be a checkpoint.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 01:28 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

For fucks sake people, are you really having a SERIOUS arguing over if Pewdiepie is a psychopath?!

Posting Freak
04-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Website Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

Last time I checked, feeling for a character and feeling for a real person are two very different things. Relating them isn't quite the most accurate route.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
04-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2012, 02:10 AM)Miss Rigi Wrote: Last time I checked, feeling for a character and feeling for a real person are two very different things. Relating them isn't quite the most accurate route.
How come? Isn't the overall goal of a lot of games - especially horror games - that the player should immerse himself in it, fearing for his life as if the danger was real?

04-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

"While I'm sure that nobody is crying over Happy Wheels, normal people go
"Wow, that's gotta hurt." or "Lol, that's some awful physics right
there.". To PewDiePie concerns are always jokes."

After the first few times, yeah, people say things like that, but after a lot of time playing you just start to see it as funny. Also the style of happy wheels is very cartoon like so it's pretty hard to relate to real life.

"While many notes can be terrible, he's not laughing at them being
terrible. He's making puns instead of even trying to read the notes or
associate to these NPCs. He doesn't concern himself with their fates one
bit."

This also doesn't make him a psychopath, it shows that he just isn't bothered to care. A lot of people just skip over notes or laugh at them because they aren't taking them seriously.

"Also, this shows that PewDiePie doesn't care about the atmosphere or
plot the creators were trying to establish, or that his repetitious
jokes aren't even funny to a lot of his viewers. He just goes with what
works according to the comments section. He doesn't care about anything
else than him being immediately frightened."

This isn't even related to him being a psychopath lol, it's just him trying to get views using his own ways. And not caring about plot makes him a psychopath how..?

"Yes, a prime example of PewDiePie NOT being a psychopath, is to watch
his first playthrough videos of Amnesia, which bring me to something
disturbing: Psychopathy is a combination of a weak frontal lobe, and it
being damaged from traumatic experiences like child abuse at an early
age. "

I fail to see how this is related...

"PewDiePie states in the beginning that Amnesia is his first horror game,
because he gets too scared of horror games. I honestly believe that
Amnesia drove PewDiePie insane."

Seriously... what the hell? How could this possibly work.. and what are your reasons for saying this??

"I've never actually played Forbidden Siren - just watched LPs - but I
don't find those games repetitve. If I fail, I fail. It's just one
monster, and after difficult sections there will usually be a
checkpoint."

Since I have never played this game or even heard about it, I have no idea what the monsters may be like. But I know that 'checkpoints' in any game make it feel more like a game than an experience, and amnesia isn't really meant to be a 'beat the level' kind of game (as I'm SURE you know).

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 02:25 AM by Damascus Rose.)
04-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2012, 02:02 AM)kman Wrote: For fucks sake people, are you really having a SERIOUS arguing over if Pewdiepie is a psychopath?!
Yes? I'm not saying that he murders people, or that he's mean, because obviously he's friendly - just that he's not able to care about the feelings of people.

04-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2012, 02:02 AM)kman Wrote: For fucks sake people, are you really having a SERIOUS arguing over if Pewdiepie is a psychopath?!
Lol it does seem stupid, but I wanted to hear what this guy could say to back up such a claim

04-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2012, 02:24 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: "While I'm sure that nobody is crying over Happy Wheels, normal people go
"Wow, that's gotta hurt." or "Lol, that's some awful physics right
there.". To PewDiePie concerns are always jokes."

After the first few times, yeah, people say things like that, but after a lot of time playing you just start to see it as funny. Also the style of happy wheels is very cartoon like so it's pretty hard to relate to real life.

"While many notes can be terrible, he's not laughing at them being
terrible. He's making puns instead of even trying to read the notes or
associate to these NPCs. He doesn't concern himself with their fates one
bit."

This also doesn't make him a psychopath, it shows that he just isn't bothered to care. A lot of people just skip over notes or laugh at them because they aren't taking them seriously.

"Also, this shows that PewDiePie doesn't care about the atmosphere or
plot the creators were trying to establish, or that his repetitious
jokes aren't even funny to a lot of his viewers. He just goes with what
works according to the comments section. He doesn't care about anything
else than him being immediately frightened."

This isn't even related to him being a psychopath lol, it's just him trying to get views using his own ways. And not caring about plot makes him a psychopath how..?

"Yes, a prime example of PewDiePie NOT being a psychopath, is to watch
his first playthrough videos of Amnesia, which bring me to something
disturbing: Psychopathy is a combination of a weak frontal lobe, and it
being damaged from traumatic experiences like child abuse at an early
age. "

I fail to see how this is related...

"PewDiePie states in the beginning that Amnesia is his first horror game,
because he gets too scared of horror games. I honestly believe that
Amnesia drove PewDiePie insane."

Seriously... what the hell? How could this possibly work.. and what are your reasons for saying this??

"I've never actually played Forbidden Siren - just watched LPs - but I
don't find those games repetitve. If I fail, I fail. It's just one
monster, and after difficult sections there will usually be a
checkpoint."

Since I have never played this game or even heard about it, I have no idea what the monsters may be like. But I know that 'checkpoints' in any game make it feel more like a game than an experience, and amnesia isn't really meant to be a 'beat the level' kind of game (as I'm SURE you know).
Well, this PewDiePie topic turned into a much bigger deal than I had anticipated. I don't think anything short of a CAT scan can convince either party. My original point is that if you find that you don't get affected by people being tortured, or have a difficulty getting scared by monsters chasing you in horror games, then there might be something something wrong with your brain. I'm not sure if something can be done about brain damage other than eating sources of anti-oxidants, and maybe you should avoid horror games in the future, if you know that you may take damage from them that may affect your real life. As much as I'd like people to play Amnesia, people who are too young or frail, shouldn't.

There are lots of checkpoints in Amnesia too, but you don't notice them unless you die, as "Saving checkpoint..." isn't displayed. Even the beginning of every level is a checkpoint in most games.

04-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2012, 02:41 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Well, this PewDiePie topic turned into a much bigger deal than I had anticipated. I don't think anything short of a CAT scan can convince either party. My original point is that if you find that you don't get affected by people being tortured, or have a difficulty getting scared by monsters chasing you in horror games, then there might be something something wrong with your brain. I'm not sure if something can be done about brain damage other than eating sources of anti-oxidants, and maybe you should avoid horror games in the future, if you know that you may take damage from them that may affect your real life. As much as I'd like people to play Amnesia, people who are too young or frail, shouldn't.

There are lots of checkpoints in Amnesia too, but you don't notice them unless you die, as "Saving checkpoint..." isn't displayed. Even the beginning of every level is a checkpoint in most games.
Well, I don't see how amnesia could affect real life in a serious way. Unless you are paranoid.. then whenever you pick up an item you might think a gatherer will come after you XD And yes, kids probably shouldn't be playing amnesia if they can't stomach it, could give some bad nightmares and reactions...

Yeah, there are checkpoints in Amnesia, no doubt about that. But most aren't exactly goals for the player to reach without dying (with the exception of the chase parts), and they are purely to re-spawn you as close as you were to the spot you were at when you died, and not to cause you any more grief by making you deal with the same monster over and over. And even in the chase parts the monster shows up farther back, making sure you don't have to deal with the same shizz over and over, because it is frustrating as hell and isn't fun or engaging when there isn't combat (for a lot of people at least).

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 02:54 AM by Damascus Rose.)
04-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Find