Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...
CrazyShootin Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...

I just skimmed trough this massive rant of messages, so my apologies if i missed anything.

Have anyone of you actually made youtube videos yourself? It's pretty common that you put on a show in front on the camera/mic. That you laugh and scream hysterically at weird things doesn't make you a psychopath.

I have noticed that some of the things he does is a bit extreme and does attract a very immature audience. But it works doesn't it? At the moment he gains almost 5000 subscribers a day. I would say someone that successful knows what he's doing.

This discussion is ridiculous. Like you never had a late and/or drunk night with some friends or something laughing at pretty weird shit.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM by CrazyShootin.)
05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(05-09-2012, 09:47 PM)Bridge Wrote: Killing someone with an axe is pretty grubby work. Depending on how hard and where you swing I guess it may not be instant gratification. Even if you enjoy killing people or even torturing people it is difficult work and I am fairly certain the majority wouldn't enjoy it. Just because you're a psycho doesn't mean you would be willing to decapitate someone with a spoon. I didn't mean to say EVERYBODY has an emotional response to it, but not all psychotic people are chaotic evil cardboard cutouts, most of them have their limits.

Also there are several recorded cases (none of which I can refer to or prove exist so don't bother) of people doing horrible deeds out of uncontrollable impulses and later, or even during, being deeply disturbed by them.
Psychopaths and psychotic people are two very different things. Psychotic people experiences things that aren't real, while psychopaths cannot respect human value. (I'm saying "cannot" instead of "will not" because psychopaths aren't capable of justification. You can ask a psychopath "Why did you do that?" and while he'd probably come up with something that sounds good (because he has seen that justification used before) it often won't make sense, or be good enough, because every justification seems equally just to a psychopath.)

While it's hard work to kill somebody, it won't ethically disturb a psychopath. He won't feel regret or guilt or shame over it. Some won't even fear getting caught.

While a psychopath can very much fake regret if he wants to, having uncontrollable impulses is a whole other matter. Psychopaths are in control when they kill, because they don't have the impulse to not do it.

Not every psychopath is a criminal. Some are even completely honest about being psychopaths, as they don't see any shame in it. I would classify psychopaths as evil, though. That's not my point with PDP, though, because I don't see psychopaths as enemies, but as handicapped people.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 10:18 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-09-2012, 10:17 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 09:47 PM)Bridge Wrote: Killing someone with an axe is pretty grubby work. Depending on how hard and where you swing I guess it may not be instant gratification. Even if you enjoy killing people or even torturing people it is difficult work and I am fairly certain the majority wouldn't enjoy it. Just because you're a psycho doesn't mean you would be willing to decapitate someone with a spoon. I didn't mean to say EVERYBODY has an emotional response to it, but not all psychotic people are chaotic evil cardboard cutouts, most of them have their limits.

Also there are several recorded cases (none of which I can refer to or prove exist so don't bother) of people doing horrible deeds out of uncontrollable impulses and later, or even during, being deeply disturbed by them.
Psychopaths and psychotic people are two very different things. Psychotic people experiences things that aren't real, while psychopaths cannot respect human value. (I'm saying "cannot" instead of "will not" because psychopaths aren't capable of justification. You can ask a psychopath "Why did you do that?" and while he'd probably come up with something that sounds good (because he has seen that justification used before) it often won't make sense, or be good enough, because every justification seems equally just to a psychopath.)

While it's hard work to kill somebody, it won't ethically disturb a psychopath. He won't feel regret or guilt or shame over it. Some won't even fear getting caught.

While a psychopath can very much fake regret if he wants to, having uncontrollable impulses is a whole other matter. Psychopaths are in control when they kill, because they don't have the impulse to not do it.

Not every psychopath is a criminal. Some are even completely honest about being psychopaths, as they don't see any shame in it. I would classify psychopaths as evil, though. That's not my point with PDP, though, because I don't see psychopaths as enemies, but as handicapped people.
Apart from you taking my post completely out of context by splitting hairs over my usage of the words "psychopath" and "psychotic" interchangeably knowing full well I was referring to the same thing, this post falls apart because of one simple thing: no two people are exactly alike. There is no "sane" or "insane", but different shades of sanity. When one falls below what is considered the acceptable limit one is deemed insane. Murder or even theft are quite capable of disturbing a psychopath if his personality is not in accordance with that. Some people are just driven to it and do not condone their own actions at all. BTW, there is no such thing as evil. Psychopaths according to your definition believe what they're doing is good, so they cannot be evil.

Fair warning: If you begin your next post by completely dodging all of my arguments and targeting a minor semantic issue I will not reply because I don't want to waste my time on this if you don't want to cooperate.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM by Bridge.)
05-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-09-2012, 10:39 PM)Bridge Wrote: Apart from you taking my post completely out of context by splitting hairs over my usage of the words "psychopath" and "psychotic" interchangeably knowing full well I was referring to the same thing, this post falls apart because of one simple thing: no two people are exactly alike. There is no "sane" or "insane", but different shades of sanity. When one falls below what is considered the acceptable limit one is deemed insane. Murder or even theft are quite capable of disturbing a psychopath if his personality is not in accordance with that. Some people are just driven to it and do not condone their own actions at all. BTW, there is no such thing as evil. Psychopaths according to your definition believe what they're doing is good, so they cannot be evil.

Fair warning: If you begin your next post by completely dodging all of my arguments and targeting a minor semantic issue I will not reply because I don't want to waste my time on this if you don't want to cooperate.
How was I supposed to know what you were referring to when you said "psychotic"? It's a common misconception.

Your point is that there are some psychopaths that are driven into a state which they cannot control, and later regret their actions. I told you that they're not psychopaths. There are stressed, bitter, oppressed, thoughtless, stupid, immature, amoral people who still has a conscience, but who can still lose control. Those people have to be pressured in order to lose control. Psychopaths are people who don't feel guilt. There may be semi-psychopaths who feel just less guilt than others, and it takes less stress for them to lose control, but they will not be feeling as much regret afterwards.
I don't consider PDP to be a semi-psychopath, though. At every opportunity he gets, he shows a complete lack of concern. One exception is the maintaining of his fanbase, but ultimately this serves to satiate his need for glory, which is another psychopathic trait.
According to my definition, psychopaths don't care whether they do good or evil. They will very much argue for "killing all evil-doers" when given the chance, but they do so out of insincerity because they know that people will like them for it. For example, after they have told all their friends they hate wife-beaters (and would eagerly beat them up) they'll go home and beat their wives.

05-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-09-2012, 11:54 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 10:39 PM)Bridge Wrote: Apart from you taking my post completely out of context by splitting hairs over my usage of the words "psychopath" and "psychotic" interchangeably knowing full well I was referring to the same thing, this post falls apart because of one simple thing: no two people are exactly alike. There is no "sane" or "insane", but different shades of sanity. When one falls below what is considered the acceptable limit one is deemed insane. Murder or even theft are quite capable of disturbing a psychopath if his personality is not in accordance with that. Some people are just driven to it and do not condone their own actions at all. BTW, there is no such thing as evil. Psychopaths according to your definition believe what they're doing is good, so they cannot be evil.

How was I supposed to know what you were referring to when you said "psychotic"? It's a common misconception.

Your point is that there are some psychopaths that are driven into a state which they cannot control, and later regret their actions. I told you that they're not psychopaths. There are stressed, bitter, oppressed, thoughtless, stupid, immature, amoral people who still has a conscience, but who can still lose control. Those people have to be pressured in order to lose control. Psychopaths are people who don't feel guilt. There may be semi-psychopaths who feel just less guilt than others, and it takes less stress for them to lose control, but they will not be feeling as much regret afterwards.
I don't consider PDP to be a semi-psychopath, though. At every opportunity he gets, he shows a complete lack of concern. One exception is the maintaining of his fanbase, but ultimately this serves to satiate his need for glory, which is another psychopathic trait.
According to my definition, psychopaths don't care whether they do good or evil. They will very much argue for "killing all evil-doers" when given the chance, but they do so out of insincerity because they know that people will like them for it. For example, after they have told all their friends they hate wife-beaters (and would eagerly beat them up) they'll go home and beat their wives.
Where do you come off saying stuff like that? I don't care if you have a phD, if you hold an opinion like that you are wrong. People are complex and you cannot pidgeonhole them into categories like that. You treat psychopaths as if they are clones from one undeviating template when they are not. Also I shall reiterate my point just in case you missed it: it's not real. It's called role playing. Also, you have no right to pass judgement on someone you don't know, and if you do you cannot claim your judgement is based in fact.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM by Bridge.)
05-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Is it me or does this feel like a troll thread? The provocative way OP states how manly and awesome he is. Oh, and he said fatal frame is scarier than Silent Hill and Amnesia. Yes, obviously a troll.

I rate it 3 memes.
05-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-10-2012, 12:29 AM)Bridge Wrote: Where do you come off saying stuff like that? I don't care if you have a phD, if you hold an opinion like that you are wrong. People are complex and you cannot pidgeonhole them into categories like that. You treat psychopaths as if they are clones from one undeviating template when they are not.
While people are complex, a psychopathic trait is by definition a similar thing in all people who has it. In this regard all psychopaths are alike in their psychopathy, just like all blond people are blond in more or less the same way.

Quote:Also I shall reiterate my point just in case you missed it: it's not real. It's called role playing.

I don't believe it is. First of all, going on YouTube and playing a completely different person, would be too much of a hassle, and second of all, concern is a reflex that you can't just put aside without effort. You can't "roleplay" to love eating meat without problems every day, if you're a PETA member. In the end the strain and shame would quickly break you down.

Quote:Also, you have no right to pass judgement on someone you don't know,
and if you do you cannot claim your judgement is based in fact.

Yes, I do "have the right" to make observations about people even if I don't know them, because I don't believe that he can fake that behavior. People judge strangers all the time. Saying that they need "rights" for that is just nonsense.

05-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Find
CrazyShootin Offline

Threads: 3

(05-10-2012, 05:37 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 12:29 AM)Bridge Wrote: Where do you come off saying stuff like that? I don't care if you have a phD, if you hold an opinion like that you are wrong. People are complex and you cannot pidgeonhole them into categories like that. You treat psychopaths as if they are clones from one undeviating template when they are not.
While people are complex, a psychopathic trait is by definition a similar thing in all people who has it. In this regard all psychopaths are alike in their psychopathy, just like all blond people are blond in more or less the same way.

Quote:Also I shall reiterate my point just in case you missed it: it's not real. It's called role playing.

I don't believe it is. First of all, going on YouTube and playing a completely different person, would be too much of a hassle, and second of all, concern is a reflex that you can't just put aside without effort. You can't "roleplay" to love eating meat without problems every day, if you're a PETA member. In the end the strain and shame would quickly break you down.

Quote:Also, you have no right to pass judgement on someone you don't know,
and if you do you cannot claim your judgement is based in fact.

Yes, I do "have the right" to make observations about people even if I don't know them, because I don't believe that he can fake that behavior. People judge strangers all the time. Saying that they need "rights" for that is just nonsense.

Pretty much every successful youtuber puts on a show in front of the camera. Some more than others. But judging someone you have never met on their youtube personality is just ridiculous. I'm not saying you don't have the rights to do so. But really, you can't be serious?

Have you actually made youtube videos that forms into a "standup comedy" show? It seems like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

05-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Website Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

This thread is embarrassing.

Seriously, a remote psychological diagnosis based on the behaviour in Youtube videos? And really, showing no concern for virtual pixel people makes someone a real-life psychopath for you? I'm sorry, but are you from the past?
05-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

Well, he calls himself "Cranky Old Man"...

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Find