Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
elang .lang file shorthand - an alternative to writing .lang files!
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41
elang .lang file shorthand - an alternative to writing .lang files!

So as any of you who have tried to make or edit large .lang files (or any .lang file really) may already know, the task of sorting through said .lang files can be a bit confusing and annoying, as the actual in-game content of the file is cluttered by a variety of formatting (eg <>/="" etc.). So in light of this, I decided to make a program that converts my own shorthand notation (that I consider very easy to read and to write/edit) into a functioning .lang file. The notation is short, simple, and very easy to use. It looks something like this:

#SampleCat1
    $SampleEntry1: Some text about the entry.
    $SampleEntry2: Some more text about the entry.
#SampleCat2
    $SampleEntry3: text.
    $SampleEntry4: teext.
    $SampleEntry5: teeext.
    $SampleEntry6: teeeext.
    $SampleEntry7: teeeeext.

The pound symbol (#) denotes a language category, and the dollar sign ($) symbol denote entries for the category above it, and the text is stored in a ".elang" file which is then fed into the program and converted to a ".lang" file. It's really that easy.

A download for the program (including instructions on the formatting of the shorthand and an example shorthand file) can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gcmj61ju2rd8t8e

NOTE: I have not included a way to add resources to the .lang file, so if you want to do this you should go in and add them in by hand.

I know other methods of easily editing .lang files exist, but this alternative offered me a really simple way to write them in text files by hand, which tends to be (at least for me) the fastest and easiest way of writing something. Anyway, I thought it was pretty interesting so I decided to share it with you guys. Smile

04-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: elang .lang file shorthand - an alternative to writing .lang files!

When I figured lang files were getting hard to view, I upgraded to Geany, and never looked back. Now Geany makes love to my eyeballs.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Find