Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Amnesia Custom Story: Guide to Horror / Do's and Don't for Scaring Players
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Amnesia Custom Story: Guide to Horror / Do's and Don't for Scaring Players

(04-16-2012, 01:16 PM)flamez3 Wrote: Pretty sure custom story map making isn't that serious.

Not since PDP started ruining them, no.

Quote:I don't think the creator of the custom story would go Derp!!!!

A creator who don't take the time to make sure that his story and scares make sense, is simply being an idiot, whether it's intentional or not. It's going "Derp!".

Quote:i think it's like "hmmm, let's make a cheap scare that will be a guaranteed scare"..

Yes, and the creator is not being intelligent enough to continue that line of thought into: "...which will be followed by the player immediately trying to establish why the scare happened, and upon finding no source, questioning the sense of the scare, concluding that the creator is just being blatantly stupid, and dismissing any immersion in the story as a bad joke." There are players with low IQ that won't question these things, but most players will.

Quote:You would not lose any rationality or dignity making a scare that people don't like.

No, but the player will, and that's why people hate them.

Quote:It's like sayin Activision stop making call of duty's....you think that's gonna stop them?

I'm not that into "stopping" people. I'm just into hating poor results and explaining why I do that.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Kman is right, as long as these maps exist, these threads will exist. If you don't like it flamez3, please just don't read it. This has all been presented as advice, advice that you not only don't need to take, but you don't need to read. I agree with you that people can make whatever the hell they like, no one here is getting paid and likewise no one here is paying for this content, we are all here making games because we love it, so whatever people love, they should create. Theres no need for clashing of philosophies, there is room for both to exist.

At the risk of saying Can't we all just get along, Can't we all just get along? Some people, myself included, take their Custom Story creation very seriously, some just want to make jumpscare maps. Were not competing for favour because we're making our games for different audiances.

Quote: I'm just fed up with the people on this forum
Then stop engaging with those particular 'people' on this forum. You've come back to comment in this thread some time after the last comment, despite hating the topic that the thread is on. There are plenty of people on both sides of the fence over this jumpscare stuff, if you find your frustrated with the people who hate jumpscare maps there is no reason at all to converse with them. I have no issue with people making jumpscare maps, but I hate jumpscare maps as a design philosophy - what I do to get over that is simple. I don't play the maps, and I don't talk to or about the people who make them unless they want to talk to me. There is no point. If you truly hate it, just don't engage with it.

Quote: No one cares that even though they hate it, it won't change
04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

(04-16-2012, 01:55 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 01:16 PM)flamez3 Wrote: Pretty sure custom story map making isn't that serious.

K...so...no. I'm done with this forum and arguing with biased fan-boys. But I will offer this last paragraph or two to end it.

So...I have held myself back when people bitch or moan about pewdie (and jumpscare maps). But there comes to a point, that I can't take it any more C:

1. Pewdiepie has not ruined custom stories... his fans have no ruined custom stories...fuck; JUMPSCARE stories have not ruined custom stories. Fucking people feeling the need to shit over people's hard work and call other people's work "better" or "an actual custom story" because people are SO buthurt about custom stories not going their way. I will tell you exactly in dot point form:
  • People who feel the need to tell people their customs are shit (as stated above)
  • People who feel the need to vent and regurgitated the same opinions over and over on a topic, when there are 30+ threads containing the same thing.
  • People who feel the need to derail threads by posting their own thoughts on how scares should be
  • People who think that their opinions are completely superior in every way because of their way of thinking a scare shout be.

Example A: Mystery Chapter 2 is a CS I made, updated the download link, and then BOOM. A full on discussion was happening about how to make a good scare, the right atmosphere and why jumpscare maps should be viewed in the same way that they feel it should. My map, was derailed by people have a discussion... 4 times they needed to be asked to stop it.

Pewdie has opened this somewhat closed off forum to a wide variety of people and those people want to do something, make maps for pewdie..instead of mocking them...let them do it! It shouldn't even bother you slightest on what other people are doing with their maps.

I understand that you don't like pewdie, that's cool man but don't hurt his fans by mocking him/them

Example: A guy was asking for help in his map for making a Teleporting naked guy... a bunch of people decided "LOL, this guy hasn't done anything personally to me, but let's mock, insult and tease him for having such a stupid idea." Which obviously did happen, I had to tell them to stop it for them to lay off the poor guy. This happened a lot more recently but not to the extent of the other one.

You must be pretty arragont to think people who like jumpscares have a low IQ. I like jumpscares, that doesn't mean I have a low I.Q at all, it just means someone has a different opinion then you, get over it mate. Also, the creator of his custom story (let me repeat myself) HIS custom story is not stupid or unintelligent if he feels the need to include a jumpscare, what a pity full excuse.

Oh and one more thing: This jumpscare buissness is going to continue,if you can't accept people with different opinions, get off the interwebs.

And that, concludes my probably-not-so-well-thought-out-discussion. I hope no one replies to this because they will not get an answer. Make all the useless/pointless/ego-tistic threads you like, I won't stop you.

P.S: As I don't like to offend people, sorry if I did :/

04-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

I quote:

Quote:I don't see how someone would need to vent over someone making a jumpscare map c:
Despite of pages upon pages, you were still begging for an explanation as to why people vent, so I gave you an explanation. Now you're upset about the explanation that you "felt the need" to ask for.

04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Its a shame that you may not read it flamez3 but your right in all your points above. I hate people insulting other peoples hard work more than anything. Its just a shame that even you feel the need to go and try to derail serious discussions because you think people shouldn't be discussing it, for whatever reason.
04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-16-2012, 10:34 AM)flamez3 Wrote: I don't see how someone would need to vent over someone making a jumpscare map c:
Because this community used to make quality content. Because I used to be able to click on the newest thread in the showcase section and get a good story. Because 95% of custom stories from the last 6 months have pretty much been the exact same thing. Because people actually used to give a shit when they were making a custom story.

I could go on, but I think that's enough.

EDIT: Saw this before I saw your most recent post. Move along.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2012, 04:24 AM by Kman.)
04-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Website Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

PewDiePie did not ruin custom stories, dumb fanboys who wanted attention did.
There is a thin line between being a fan and an attention w**** . The people that made the PewDiePie songs and Flash games are creative. 95% of all who made PewDiePie custom stories weren't.
If you make song for PewDie, you're a creative fan. If you make a map in three days, fill it with map errors and sent it to him, you're not.
So saying that PewDie ruined custom stories is both rude and incorrect. But that doesn't deny the fact that 90% of all custom stories out there is 100% garbage.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-18-2012, 07:36 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:

PewDiePie did not ruin custom stories, dumb fanboys who wanted attention did.

There is a thin line between being a fan and an attention w**** . The people that made the PewDiePie songs and Flash games are creative. 95% of all who made PewDiePie custom stories weren't.

If you make song for PewDie, you're a creative fan. If you make a map in three days, fill it with map errors and sent it to him, you're not.

So saying that PewDie ruined custom stories is both rude and incorrect. But that doesn't deny the fact that 90 % of all custom stories out there is 100 % garbage.
When was the last time that PDP was serious about an LP? He's playing Siren right now, and he's as wisecracking and clowning around as ever. All that's lacking is an inflatable hammer as a gimmick. Sure, the fans add to it, but they are drawn to him for a reason.

04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-20-2012, 09:14 PM)Robosprog Wrote: That's his style of humour? He wisecracks and clowns around - that's his style of humour, like cry's is cool and snarky humour to an extent, with rambling. The fans aren't drawn to him - they enjoy watching his videos, they make crap maps for him, then he gets blamed for them making maps for him. Is it his responsibility to make sure they make the most fantastic maps ever made? No. He's not their parent.
He can't be held responsible for random people over the internet's actions. They made the maps for him and they happened to be awful with amnesia custom stories. What if I made a map for you because I liked you, does that mean that you are held responsible for how good the map is? No, it doesn't, but that is the exact logic you are using right now.
Humour (of any "style") has no place in serious games, and especially not horror games. Overall I don't appreciate his humour either, because there's no wit to it, but that's less of a problem. I can't say that it's "his responsibility" because I know full well that PDP doesn't take responsibility to begin with, but would he care about the horror community, he would keep on playing Just Dance, because that's actually funny.

04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

I find it sad when people don't try their hardest to ensure quality in their work.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
04-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Find