Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing item color, inventory image
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
Changing item color, inventory image

I'm trying to change the color tint of two entities, the "gameplay/rock_small" and "gameplay/rock_lock_item." All I want to do is give them a purple and yellowish color, that latter of which to give the appearance of gold ore, for example. Yet, I can't seem to do this through the Model or Material Editor, so I don't know how to do this. I also can't find any modeling programs that are free to use if that's what it's going to come to.

I also don't know how to give the rock_lock_item it's own inventory .tga image. I don't how how to make one, for example, and where to put it. Right now it just has a golden circle as it's image and don't know where that image is stored either.

03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Find
Damascus Offline

RE: Changing item color, inventory image

Can anyone please help me with this?

I'm also trying to make a small bag of coins an item you can pick up, but bags of thalers do not appear in your inventory when you pick them up.

03-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

The image creation will need to be done in an image editing program of your choice. My personal flavor is GIMP, but there are others who swear by Photoshop. GIMP is freeware, while you'll need to get a limited trial version of Photoshop.

You'll need to capture an image of the rock and edit it to your liking, then save it in TARGA format (.tga). You'll be creating your custom item through the Model Editor, and going to Settings > User-Defined Variables to change its properties as well as assign your item the custom image file you created.

The same goes with the bag of coins. You'll have to create your own item from scratch.

03-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

Alright, I've created the targa files, that works great. I also figured out how to make the coins regular objects, so i can now pick them up and have them appear in my inventory.

Curiously, though, it's not working with the "rock_lock_item." I saved a new model of it named potash.ent in the items folder and directed it to potash.tga in the graphics folder, the same place the coins' picture is. However, when I place it in game and pick it up, it still shows the default gold circle as its inventory image, even though potash.tga is a picture of a rock.

03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Is potash.tga inside the custom story folder? It'll need to be in <custom_story_folder>/graphics/item/.

03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

Yes, it is. Actually, I made a new model for the potash, and now it is no longer appearing in game at all.

I took "rock_lock_item.ent" (originally in entities/gameplay/rock_lock/), saved it as "potash.ent" in my <custom_story_folder>/entities/item/potash/ folder, pointed it toward potash.tga in <custom_story_folder>/graphics/item/, then placed the item in my game. I go in game and the item doesn't appear at all. Once again, I did basically the same thing for the bag of gold, and it's not having any problems.

03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

I changed the name of the file back to "rock_lock_item.ent" and it now shows back up in game again, but still uses coins_small.tga as it's inventory image despite the fact that I've put in potash.tga! Can anyone please tell me what's going on here?

03-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

The issues you're coming across tell me you're running into original file conflict and possibly .map_cache conflict. When the game stores two files with the same name for later referencing, when searching for the file in its internal list it's going to pick the one it comes across first, which is the one stored in the Amnesia entities folder (even though the map stores the relative file paths anyway), because custom story files are always secondary and the game relies on the resources.cfg file. Also, if you have your environment set to create .map_cache files and the game did create one for the map you're testing, then that explains missing entities. The hpl.log normally has something to say about these things.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Website Find
Damascus Offline

I'd be able to solve this easily by only using the mesh of the "rock_lock_item" but I can't seem to find it, it's not stored in the same folder. Is there a way to find the location of the mesh an entity is using?

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2012, 08:50 AM by Damascus.)
03-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(03-17-2012, 08:31 AM)Damascus Wrote: I'd be able to solve this easily by only using the mesh of the "rock_lock_item" but I can't seem to find it, it's not stored in the same folder. Is there a way to find the location of the mesh an entity is using?

Read the .ent file: static_objects/debris/rock/stone_small01.dae

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Website Find