Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Brillant Marketing Idea (I.E. Android/Apple)
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Brillant Marketing Idea (I.E. Android/Apple)

(03-28-2012, 01:19 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote:
(03-25-2012, 08:52 PM)Gasjockey Wrote: I don't really think horror games (maybe especially psychological ones like Amnesia) are that well suited for mobile use.
I don't know if this is very much on topic, but Senscape is making a horror game named Asylum, and it's being ported to iOS... Then again, Asylum is a Point and Click game, so that sort of game might work better.
a game like penumbra requiem could work on a smart phone.
03-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Find
Prophetical Ideals Offline

Threads: 1

And no one has answered my question Dx
04-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Find
F4D1NG 3CH03S Offline

Threads: 0

actually seeing as most android and ios tablets/phones use dual core proccesors at this point it probably wouldnt need to be graphically toned down at all, becuase the system reqs are to have a 2.0 ghz single core and the ram is usually about 2 gbs, so it would probably run just fine but the only problem is to have to rescript the controls and ui to work correctly
08-28-2012, 03:53 AM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

(08-28-2012, 03:53 AM)F4D1NG 3CH03S Wrote: actually seeing as most android and ios tablets/phones use dual core proccesors at this point it probably wouldnt need to be graphically toned down at all, becuase the system reqs are to have a 2.0 ghz single core and the ram is usually about 2 gbs, so it would probably run just fine but the only problem is to have to rescript the controls and ui to work correctly
that may be right, but i think this thread is done so far. (last post 03/31)

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 03:57 AM by johnbox.)
08-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Find
F4D1NG 3CH03S Offline

i was just stating that and i considered porting it for myself as i have long commutes in the morning
08-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Right, this going way wrong.

@ OP. You're not the first to think of this idea and you do not own it in any way.
Amnesia would not play well on a phone, the game asks you to wear headphones and play in the dark as you start it up, it'll get very hard to immerse yourself whilst playing on a tiny phone screen. And honestly, watching Pewdiepie play the game is probably not the best representation of the game, playing something like Garrys mod on a phone would be just fine because it's just ''for the luls'', this is not what Amnesia is about.
08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(08-28-2012, 10:53 AM)Traggey Wrote: @ OP. You're not the first to think of this idea and you do not own it in any way.
Amnesia would not play well on a phone, the game asks you to wear headphones and play in the dark as you start it up, it'll get very hard to immerse yourself whilst playing on a tiny phone screen. And honestly, watching Pewdiepie play the game is probably not the best representation of the game, playing something like Garrys mod on a phone would be just fine because it's just ''for the luls'', this is not what Amnesia is about.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Playing Amnesia on a console couldn't even provide half of the immersion compared to playing it on a PC; taking it a step further to a hand held device? That is just truly laughable. What's the point of playing one of the best point and click horror games centered around immersion - if you have no immersion? It would be a horrible waste of time and money for the devs. I swear, every time one of these threads pops up, I feel like the OP has never even touched Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but one of his friends showed him a Pewderpeeps video and suddenly they're an expert on the horror genre and game industry.

While I'm in a ranting mood: Multiplayer could never work for a game like Amnesia. Every co-op game that is supposedly horror seems to be nothing more than a FPS with jumpscares that end up being more annoying and immersion breaking than scary (if someone can find me a co-op horror game with immersion comparable to Amnesia, I'll definitely change my mind; since that will most likely never happen, allow me to continue). It doesn't take extensive knowledge in the field of Psychology to know that having a friend by your side would greatly reduce the horror experience when compared to being alone; its simply human nature. People can argue that they do it for "fun", but that word doesn't belong near the horror genre; horror is engaging. If you want fun, go player a game meant for fun.

I rate it 3 memes.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 11:17 AM by Adny.)
08-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Amnesia is a game made for immersing.
You can't be immersed when playing smartphone games.
So, I think, this may could be good for Frictionals fast bucket, but not really to be a good game.
Smartphones are not for gaming.
This, basically. The thing is, mobile devices aren't meant to be played with while you sit in a dark room, wearing headphones. People use them while they're sitting at the bus stop or during a long flight or whatever. So even if you could port it without losing too much graphics quality and even if you could implement the controls, the whole effect would be lost. It would simply become a way too easy puzzle game set in a castle.

What might be a useful way for Frictional to make money,however, would be to simply let other companies license their engine. The grabby-mechanic would work in all sorts of 3D games and would indeed work very well with all sorts of touch screens. Of course you'd probably have to rewrite half of it to make it compatible with mobile devices...and I doubt Frictional would want to spend time and effort on that.

Edit: Hold on a second, why was this thread even necroed? I'm confused.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

[Image: m6hgH.jpg?1]

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
08-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Find