Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
My Little Pony and Amnesia...
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49
My Little Pony and Amnesia...

STOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!! Angry

This is f*****g stupid! Seriously? A small children's show, in an adult survival horror game!? That is just stupid. All the people who haven't grown up, and are watching this show at your age, cool. Thats fine, but keep your childish hobby out of our grown up hobby. Thanks.

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

03-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: My Little Pony and Amnesia...

If you don't like MLP, I can accept that. It's your opinion.

What I can't bear however, is the fact that you imply the Amnesia fanbase is superior to the MLP one. I have to slap you for that one. Both sides are perfectly entitled to like whatever they like, and the context of such does not automatically make one fanbase worse than the other. Also, in my opinion, the fact that MLP is able to reach people outside its age demographic means it's a great show (Again in my opinion), and no one should be begrudged for liking it. It doesn't mean people are childish for liking it, it just means they like a good show.

Also, while most of us like seeing big story-filled horror maps, we can't really begrudge people for wanting a little laugh with the levels, AKA the Pewdiepie maps, and instances where ponies appear in the maps. They may not go down in history as legendary maps like White Night, or the sort, but it's there's still nothing bad about having a little joke, or laugh is there? On second though, scratch that last sentence, some may still go down in history as famous maps, which should not be considered inferior to horror maps, as they are completely different in context.

I'm willing to discuss this with you, but if you reply, please keep cool-headed about it. I don't want to start a flame war.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM by Kreekakon.)
03-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Find
Officer D Offline

Threads: 0

[Image: pinkieaskumad5131previe.png]

03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Website Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

[Image: 883340955.gif]

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Website Find
JetlinerX Offline

(03-27-2012, 10:52 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: If you don't like MLP, I can accept that. It's your opinion.

What I can't bear however, is the fact that you imply the Amnesia fanbase is superior to the MLP one. I have to slap you for that one. Both sides are perfectly entitled to like whatever they like, and the context of such does not automatically make one fanbase worse than the other. Also, in my opinion, the fact that MLP is able to reach people outside its age demographic means it's a great show (Again in my opinion), and no one should be begrudged for liking it. It doesn't mean people are childish for liking it, it just means they like a good show.

Also, while most of us like seeing big story-filled horror maps, we can't really begrudge people for wanting a little laugh with the levels, AKA the Pewdiepie maps, and instances where ponies appear in the maps. They may not go down in history as legendary maps like White Night, or the sort, but it's there's still nothing bad about having a little joke, or laugh is there? On second though, scratch that last sentence, some may still go down in history as famous maps, which should not be considered inferior to horror maps, as they are completely different in context.

I'm willing to discuss this with you, but if you reply, please keep cool-headed about it. I don't want to start a flame war.
I apologize, as my goal was not to imply who has a better fan base. My
point is, we have a mature rated adult survival horror game, with people
trying to put in a children's show. It is honestly stupid, and I have no regret about saying that, these two generas DONT have anything in common, and should not be mixed.

I can understand that its a fun joke, but as I watch more LPs and play more for myself, it seems the creators who are adding MLP, start taking themselves seriously.

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

03-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(03-27-2012, 06:25 PM)JetlinerX Wrote: I apologize, as my goal was not to imply who has a better fan base. My
trying to put in a children's show. It is honestly stupid, and I have no regret about saying that, these two generas DONT have anything in common, and should not be mixed.

I can understand that its a fun joke, but as I watch more LPs and play more for myself, it seems the creators who are adding MLP, start taking themselves seriously.
I still disagree with the fact that they should FULL-OUT crucify people for mixing them together. Even if they don't have anything in common, jokes here, and there are still nice. However, there is one thing I have to admit:

Given the nature of MLP, even though it's a great show with great characters, when it's put together with Amnesia in a intended serious way, it is near impossible, if possible at all to make their appearance completely "serious". The best I can think of is tongue-in-cheek humor.

Still, no one said anything about the Amnesia engine only being allowed to make horror games. If something decided to make a fun-filled ride through Ponyville, I'm all for it as long as it's got quality.

EDIT: @Unearthlybrutal & Officer D: Trolling, while occasionally humorous, isn't going to help anyone in any way at all.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM by Kreekakon.)
03-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

(03-27-2012, 06:31 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(03-27-2012, 06:25 PM)JetlinerX Wrote: I apologize, as my goal was not to imply who has a better fan base. My

I still disagree with the fact that they should FULL-OUT crucify people for mixing them together. Even if they don't have anything in common, jokes here, and there are still nice. However, there is one thing I have to admit:

Given the nature of MLP, even though it's a great show with great characters, when it's put together with Amnesia in a intended serious way, it is near impossible, if possible at all to make their appearance completely "serious". The best I can think of is tongue-in-cheek humor.

Still, no one said anything about the Amnesia engine only being allowed to make horror games.

EDIT: @Unearthlybrutal & Officer D: Trolling, while occasionally humorous, isn't going to help anyone in any way at all.

When a joke is over played, it becomes stupid, and unfunny. I will admit, the first time I saw MLP on an Amnesia level, I chuckled. But when you start to make MLP the equivalent of Justin Bieber in Happy Wheels, the community starts to get a bad image.

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

03-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(03-27-2012, 06:38 PM)JetlinerX Wrote: When a joke is over played, it becomes stupid, and unfunny. I will admit, the first time I saw MLP on an Amnesia level, I chuckled. But when you start to make MLP the equivalent of Justin Bieber in Happy Wheels, the community starts to get a bad image.
I see your point there, and I agree that as jokes, it may sometimes get overused.

However, when I re-read my own post, the main standing point in it were the intentionally non-horror stories, maybe even ones targeted towards children.

Just think, say someone makes a story where you fall into Ponyville. You run around in the cheerful environment, and tell them you're from the human world, and want to leave. The ponies decide to help, but before that you have to run a couple errands for them, or fix some things in the form of puzzles. All the while there are no monsters, just simple puzzle solving, and maybe a bit of backstory as to what has happened in Ponyville. After finishing all the errands, the ponies are able to construct a portal to send you home. Happily ever after.

It's a random, and cheerful adventure puzzle game, and anyone who didn't know better who just walked in on someone playing it would never ever guess that it was a mod made from the engine of the most terrifying game ever made. The game would acknowledge what it was, and not mix the lines, at least not too much.

Though not yet completely devoid of horror, an example I would say is the Small Horse series. It knows its not a full-out horror game, and it knows well not to treat itself as one. That's one of its biggest winning points.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012, 06:50 PM by Kreekakon.)
03-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Find
Officer D Offline

Threads: 0

I'm trolling cause this discussion isn't worth arguing about imho. If you don't like it, don't play! nuff said!

Like he said it's a fun story. meant to be silly, stupid, retarded. If you start taking it serious, then don't blame the makers. Blame yourself for playing it.

I like serious custom stories a whole lot more then the fun CS too. I just played "Dark Castle - Evil Secrets" the other day and it was by far the best custom story i have played in quite a while. Still I would never get offended by somthing as harmles as ponies in a freaking video game!

I don't like glitchy walls in Amnesia. You don't see me opening a thread saying : "STOOOOOP IT OMFG WTH FUUUUUUU learn to build map properly i can't take these overlaping walls serious anymore!"

The real thing that is childish here imo, is getting mad over something like this. But that's just my opinion :3

03-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Website Find
JetlinerX Offline

Since when did "Amnesia: The Dark Decent" apeal to parents, able to say:

"I bet this game appeals to my child, I bet there are wonderful folks out there who will make children's stories with this game"

This:
[Image: Amnesia-The-Dark-Descent-7.jpg]

Does not equal this:
[Image: everyone-together-my-little-pony-friends...13-606.jpg]

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Website Find