Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ISO: Windows XP help
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
ISO: Windows XP help

For awhile, Windows Explorer (program that keeps track of the bottom bar + any folders open) keeps crashing whenever I open mydocs/PenumbraOverture

Whenever I open that folder, Windows explorer wants to crash, and will display the "Windows Explorer has crashed, click close' except I could move the error box and continue my work.
But just now, it got alot worse. It'll open, and display the error box, the folders flash but than turns blank and the box forces me to click 'close'.

This only happens to that one folder, as far as I can tell there's no folders that are corrupted. I can copy/paste the folder and open the new copied perfectly, but if I name ANY file 'Penumbra Overture' it will crash when opening it.

EDIT: I believe the main problem has been opening way too much, due to needing that HPL log. I believe Frictional Games should develop a tool that fixes anything wrong with the map, so modders don't have to do it themselves.

Can't do alot of work, since that pesky HPL log is hidden within the depths of the overture folder. Along with nearly all my notes for my mod, concepts, and ideas =[

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
11-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Find
sCREECH
Unregistered

RE: ISO: Windows XP help

WindexGlow Wrote:For awhile, Windows Explorer (program that keeps track of the bottom bar + any folders open) keeps crashing whenever I open mydocs/PenumbraOverture

Whenever I open that folder, Windows explorer wants to crash, and will display the "Windows Explorer has crashed, click close' except I could move the error box and continue my work.
But just now, it got alot worse. It'll open, and display the error box, the folders flash but than turns blank and the box forces me to click 'close'.

This only happens to that one folder, as far as I can tell there's no folders that are corrupted. I can copy/paste the folder and open the new copied perfectly, but if I name ANY file 'Penumbra Overture' it will crash when opening it.

EDIT: I believe the main problem has been opening way too much, due to needing that HPL log. I believe Frictional Games should develop a tool that fixes anything wrong with the map, so modders don't have to do it themselves.

Can't do alot of work, since that pesky HPL log is hidden within the depths of the overture folder. Along with nearly all my notes for my mod, concepts, and ideas =[
WindexGlow by any chance are you using any programs by stardock such as windowblind? I remember having a similar problem while using windowblind but not with the severity of flashing folders. Anyways best of luck to you and your mod and that problem you have.
11-22-2007, 08:32 AM
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

I have stardock central installed on this computer, along with Sins of a Solar Empire (great rts), and 'tested' out windows blinds alittle bit but hated it, so uninstalled it. That was months before the folder problem though.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
11-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Find
sCREECH
Unregistered

WindexGlow Wrote:I have stardock central installed on this computer, along with Sins of a Solar Empire (great rts), and 'tested' out windows blinds alittle bit but hated it, so uninstalled it. That was months before the folder problem though.
hmmmm... odd i though for sure it would have been windowblinds. I cant really say what else it might be other than another program conflicting with the hpl mod tools.
11-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

did this recently come up? have you installed any software recently that may be it? I had one issue where my computer treated my CD/DVD drives as if it didn't exist. it wouldn't pop up anything when I put in a disc. in "my computer" and even in "device hardware' or something like that, wouldn't even show it. nothing!
turns out, this media player divx or something was the culprit.
removed it, and the CD/DVD drives came back.
11-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Find