Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Helpful hints and tips for my custom story.
DanielRand47 Away

Threads: 16
Helpful hints and tips for my custom story.

Hello everyone, (I am a newbie, so please bear with me on my questions.) I'm currently brainstorming what my custom story "Castle of the Living Dead", or "Brute Force" will look like. However, before I do anything else. I do need to know a few things.

1. I know I need a maps and sound folder, but what other folders do I need, and what goes in them?
2. How do I do the text for the .ogg/.snt files in the sound folder?
3. When I change from my first map "00_AssistanceQuarters.map" to "01_MainHall.map". Do I need to change or do anything in the Custom_Story_Settings.cfg or extra_english.lang files?

Again, I am a complete noob, but I really appreciate any generous comments or replies to the above questions.

Also I'm doing a poll on my main thread called "Castle of the Living Dead" on what I should call my custom story. I have one week left till I make the final choice, so show that vote button some love. Here is my link to it: <www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14182.html> (the name of my thread won't change, just to make it easier for others to find it.)
03-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48
RE: Helpful hints and tips for my custom story.

1. You need a maps folder. Everything else isn't required, but only usefull when you have extra sounds/entities/billboards and such.

2. I will get you that when I'm on my regular PC

3. No

03-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(03-29-2012, 11:45 PM)Daniel47 Wrote: 1. I know I need a maps and sound folder, but what other folders do I need, and what goes in them?

The only folder you would "need" is a folder that stores your custom story files. You don't "need" any other folder (e.g maps and sounds). However, lacking extra folders would create clutter, so it is good to have folders for each kind of file.

(03-29-2012, 11:45 PM)Daniel47 Wrote: 2. How do I do the text for the .ogg/.snt files in the sound folder?

Open up any .snt file in a text editor and study it and then change it to fit your needs.

(03-29-2012, 11:45 PM)Daniel47 Wrote: 3. When I change from my first map "00_AssistanceQuarters.map" to "01_MainHall.map". Do I need to change or do anything in the Custom_Story_Settings.cfg or extra_english.lang files?

If the map is also listed in the custom_story_settings.cfg, then you have to edit your custom_story_settings.cfg file to reflect the name change. If you don't, your story won't get listed in the game.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Website Find
DanielRand47 Away

Threads: 16

Quote: If the map is also listed in the custom_story_settings.cfg, then you have to edit your custom_story_settings.cfg file to reflect the name change. If you don't, your story won't get listed in the game.
Thanks for the info, from you and flamez3. Could one of you show me what the change in the custom_story_setting.cfg would look like? My guess would be this:

Maps Folder = "Maps/"

Start Map = "00_AssistanceQuaters.map"

Start Pos = "PlayerStartArea_1"

/> then

Maps Folder = "Maps/"

Start Map = "01_MainHall.map"

Start Pos = "PlayerStartArea_2"

/>
I don't know if this would be correct or not, so please let me know when you have time. Smile
03-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Find