Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Could I get some feedback on this please?
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Could I get some feedback on this please?

(04-01-2012, 05:55 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: 1:29 - I'm scared of a meat locker? (If you overdo gasps, the protagonist will look like a silly wimp to the player.)
2:03 - This looked really off. A subway station has two parallell starcases because it's highly trafficed (by 100-1000 people) during rush hours. Players may also recognize that they can use these staircases to easily dodge a chasing monster, and even if you don't chase the player in this area, he will still feel that it's safe because of it. If you want a wide staircase, you can alter its size with the scaling handles, but the staircase seems disproportionate to the rest of the passage, because if there's this much traffic, wouldn't they all get stuck trying to squeeze through the door frame at 1:59?
2:58 - I question every time a monster breaks down a door without already knowing that a player is behind it. Do monsters go around breaking doors down just for fun? If so, why hasn't every door been broken down by now? What a coincidence that the player just happen to be in the room that the monster is breaking into.
3:06 - While the monster is scary and strong, if you expect the player to hide next to a shovel, also expect to question why he can't just simply try charging the monster with the shovel, and question the meaning of the hiding mechanic.
4:07 - Cold green-blue light, that seems to emanate from a normal warm-light lantern.
4:36 - The door is obviously locked, but if you're going to scribble a Memento over something, you should also add a short on-screen text about it, so that the player doesn't need to consult his notes to find out what he is currently thinking.
4:50 - This distribution is very odd: You've got one shelf packed full with bottles, and one shelf next to it that seems to be "space for rent".
4:51 - This chandelier is too close to the wine barrel. If the wood doesn't catch on fire, it will get scorch marks, or worse: It will spoil the precious wine.
5:27 - Hold on a minute. How did they manage to squeeze those huge barrels into that room in the first place? Did some carpenters just assenble them there, and then the tank barrels were filled by smaller barrels?

On its own, this map was more eerie than it was scary. It featured one monster and I think a pile of bodies, and the rest was exploration. It's easy to overdo blood decals, and in a wine cellar this may just as easily be spilled wine, but a couple of scary notes might keep the mood. I'd be sadistic enough to put a non-disappearing patrolling monster going back and forth through this rather linear level, to force the player to always have where it is, in mind.
Thanks for the feedback. There is text in the file, the language file was just broken when I recorded it. When I made the comments, I added the missing text in. The text was "The door is stuck due to a broken lock."

Yeah, I'm missing some objects here and there, I can always go back and fill the shelfs.

I didn't expect the player to hide next to the shovel, honestly I would expect the player to run the hell away, maybe in the bodies room.

Also, in Amnesia monsters open doors (like the one in Daniel's Room) and then subsequently breaks down other doors. I can't change this. Sad

DarkShadowz Wrote:VERY promising! you got your point and spotlights set up great, as well as the billboards! also good that you have some decent mapping in this; the atmosphere and un-predictable scare gave me my old amnesia feel back, to be honest ^^!.

only thing id want to add are some particle effects and such around here and there. collapsed walls should have some rubble decals as well, as well as some extra rocks here and there. also, if something happened in the map, like, the pile of bodies in that one room; try to make sense of why they're there.

overall conclusion. this looks quite promising, and i hope you carry out your mapping as decently as you did here ^^.

Thanks mate. I'm glad I could bring out that old amnesia feeling in people. That's my goal when I map, really.

I do plan on carrying out mapping. I have an old custom story that I plan to post on my channel soon, I didn't finish it and it's not as high quality as this, but it was a great starting point. Now that I'm learning C++ heavily, it helps me a lot with AngelScript and I can do more complicated things with scripting than I could do before.

Khyrpa Wrote:Masters of development? You have TDD maps already in your folders to study from. Just compare the storage map to yours and you should get tons of ideas how to improve. Its all in the detail.

Also giving sanity damage effect from pig corpses might not be a good idea. People who play custom stories have likely seen that same stuff a thousand times.

Yes I do. But those maps don't give me feedback, unfortunately.

The sanity damage isn't for the human player's scare, it's for the character's scare, if you saw that, you'd be freaked out too.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 06:07 PM by Putmalk.)
04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-01-2012, 06:01 PM)DarkShadowz Wrote: your name unfortunately lives up to itself :/
Thank you. Smile The reason I'm being this picky, isn't to be negative, but because he said "I would go directly to the masters at development for some feedback on this video.". Being picky is what's expected from a "master".

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 06:07 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 06:01 PM)DarkShadowz Wrote: your name unfortunately lives up to itself :/
Thank you. Smile The reason I'm being this picky, isn't to be negative, but because he said "I would go directly to the masters at development for some feedback on this video.". Being picky is what's expected from a "master".

Dude, thank you. I really appreciate any attempts to get better. Although I think I'm a better scripter than mapper. :/

Maybe it's also best to state that the monster didn't spawn because I opened the chest, it happens after a certain time has passed after taking the crowbar. Tongue

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 06:15 PM by Putmalk.)
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

@Cranky Old Man: Your awesome attention to detail displayed in that last post suddenly almost makes me want you to help test my maps Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-01-2012, 06:03 PM)Putmalk Wrote: Also, in Amnesia monsters open doors (like the one in Daniel's Room) and then subsequently breaks down other doors. I can't change this. Sad
I have about 2 days worth of scripting experience, but I know from the first level of the game that you can push doors open by scripts. How about spawning the monster, have it walk up to a pathnode by the door, push the door open, and then activate the path node on the other side? I've also seen some sort of "disable-autoclose" function for doors, if the auto-close feature would get in the way. I doubt that there is, but if there's some kind of animation for the monster opening a door in Daniel's room, you could also copy that.

04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 06:18 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 06:03 PM)Putmalk Wrote: Also, in Amnesia monsters open doors (like the one in Daniel's Room) and then subsequently breaks down other doors. I can't change this. Sad
I have about 2 days worth of scripting experience, but I know from the first level of the game that you can push doors open by scripts. How about spawning the monster, have it walk up to a pathnode by the door, push the door open, and then activate the path node on the other side? I've also seen some sort of "disable-autoclose" function for doors, if the auto-close feature would get in the way. I doubt that there is, but if there's some kind of animation for the monster opening a door in Daniel's room, you could also copy that.
Yeah I can push doors open via script (as done when you break the door with the crowbar) but I think it's scarier if the monster smashes the door open. The door to the wine cellar (where the monster came from) was broken open, if you didn't see it. So it does make sense (the level door was not, but that had to be there).

Also, to address an earlier point regarding eerie vs. scary, if you overdo scares too much, you lose the effect and it becomes almost comical. Huge problem with many custom stories I've noticed.

04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-01-2012, 06:09 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: @Cranky Old Man: Your awesome attention to detail displayed in that last post suddenly almost makes me want you to help test my maps Smile
Sure, but how many maps? 3-4 is alright. 12 maps are too much.

04-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-01-2012, 06:23 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Sure, but how many maps? 3-4 is alright. 12 maps are too much.
Don't wanna derail the thread, I'll PM you.

04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

Come on Cranky Old Man he is new here and just learning don't be too harsh with him.

I'm really surprised how good mapping is and entertainment is really creepy. I liked it and you have potential and you should continue it.. but just for hint don't ruin player atmosphere adding lots of cheap scares and jumpy ones.

“Life is a game, play it”
04-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 06:35 PM)HumiliatioN Wrote: Come on Cranky Old Man he is new here and just learning don't be too harsh with him.

I'm really surprised how good mapping is and entertainment is really creepy. I liked it and you have potential and you should continue it.. but just for hint don't ruin player atmosphere adding lots of cheap scares and jumpy ones.
I don't really add jumpy ones unless it hasn't happened in a while...did you see any cheap scares in the video? O_O And thank you very much. I'm not particularly "new", yeah I just signed up but I mapped a while back, I just never posted it and I didn't like its quality after a while, so I am doing test maps just to build up my quality for creating environments.

04-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Find