Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Could I get some feedback on this please?
darkadders Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Could I get some feedback on this please?

(04-01-2012, 06:07 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 06:01 PM)DarkShadowz Wrote: your name unfortunately lives up to itself :/
Thank you. Smile The reason I'm being this picky, isn't to be negative, but because he said "I would go directly to the masters at development for some feedback on this video.". Being picky is what's expected from a "master".
no offense or anything ^^ critics have feelings too XD
04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

Just curious, was anyone actually scared when the monster started to break the door?

04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-01-2012, 07:24 PM)Putmalk Wrote: Just curious, was anyone actually scared when the monster started to break the door?
I don't scare easily, but I noted (even if this wasn't actually the case) that it was good timing to link the opening of the chest to the monster, especially since the player had his back turned to the door. A shorter distance to the door would have helped to make it scarier.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 07:34 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 07:24 PM)Putmalk Wrote: Just curious, was anyone actually scared when the monster started to break the door?
I don't scare easily, but I noted (even if this wasn't actually the case) that it was good timing to link the opening of the chest to the monster, especially since the player had his back turned to the door. A shorter distance to the door would have helped to make it scarier.
It wasn't linked to the chest, it was 5 seconds after you pick up the crowbar or if you approach any of the doors. It was pure accident that it happened as I opened the chest. Either way, you're going to be in that room when the monster busts the door down.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 07:43 PM by Putmalk.)
04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-01-2012, 07:42 PM)Putmalk Wrote:
It wasn't linked to the chest, it was 5 seconds after you pick up the crowbar or if you approach any of the doors. It was pure accident that it happened as I opened the chest. Either way, you're going to be in that room when the monster busts the door down.
Well, no, I'm not, because it takes three seconds for him to break down the door, and that's plenty of time for me to exit the room through the other door, so while it's fair to warn the player, there's no real emergency. It was also a fairly large room, so I even think that I could run a circle around him and go through the door opening he just created, if I had to.

04-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 07:53 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 07:42 PM)Putmalk Wrote:
Well, no, I'm not, because it takes three seconds for him to break down the door, and that's plenty of time for me to exit the room through the other door, so while it's fair to warn the player, there's no real emergency. It was also a fairly large room, so I even think that I could run a circle around him and go through the door opening he just created, if I had to.
The scare comes from the initial burst of the door and the tension of seeing a monster. Such logic could also be applied to the brute in the Morgue, the same incident occurs but that still scared a lot of people. And you still have plenty of time (like 20 seconds!) before the Brute knocks the door down and you can hide. So I disagree with this sentiment here.

The difference between my test map and the Brute is that you can hightail it out of the area and back to kitchen if you so choose, while in the Morgue you're trapped between two rooms. If I were to add this scene in a real map in a custom story I'd probably have it a bit more enclosed.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM by Putmalk.)
04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37

BIG PROBLEM - At around 2:30, there is a door with a wooden plank meant to sort of block it. Right? Well, the door opens the opposite direction from the plank, rendering it useless. Fix it!

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
04-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 08:12 PM)Strembitsky Wrote: BIG PROBLEM - At around 2:30, there is a door with a wooden plank meant to sort of block it. Right? Well, the door opens the opposite direction from the plank, rendering it useless. Fix it!
Good call. Thanks.

04-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-01-2012, 07:55 PM)Putmalk Wrote: The scare comes from the initial burst of the door and the tension of seeing a monster. Such logic could also be applied to the brute in the Morgue, the same incident occurs but that still scared a lot of people. And you still have plenty of time (like 20 seconds!) before the Brute knocks the door down and you can hide. So I disagree with this sentiment here.
The brute in the morgue is scary because of the following:
1) There has not been any scares for a long while, so you probably forgot about the monsters.
2) You have just completed a quest, and you're thinking about getting past the poisonous spores part, so your mind is far past going through the immediate door.
3) You're approaching the door, about to open it, thinking it's a way to safety, away from the morgue. You're next to it when wood splinters starts spraying past your face.
4) After the initial bash, you realize that there's no other exit out of the morgue, and that you're trapped. You look around the room for a closet or a corner to hide behind. You don't find any. At this point the next bash occurs. Only two seconds (at least in my imagination) left, and you're standing there frozen.
5) You conclude that the only hiding place there is, is almost the equivalent to diving in the pile of dead bodies and pretending to be future monster food: It's to go into an area where I believe your sanity drops just from being there - a horrid place by itself.
6) There's not one, but two, rooms. I bet that the monster is scripted to go into the room that you're not hiding in, but you're not sure about that, so you're still anxious that he'll go into the room you're in.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 08:29 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 07:55 PM)Putmalk Wrote: The scare comes from the initial burst of the door and the tension of seeing a monster. Such logic could also be applied to the brute in the Morgue, the same incident occurs but that still scared a lot of people. And you still have plenty of time (like 20 seconds!) before the Brute knocks the door down and you can hide. So I disagree with this sentiment here.
The brute in the morgue is scary because of the following:
1) There has not been any scares for a long while, so you probably forgot about the monsters.
2) You have just completed a quest, and you're thinking about getting past the poisonous spores part, so your mind is far past going through the immediate door.
3) You're approaching the door, about to open it, thinking it's a way to safety, away from the morgue. You're next to it when wood splinters starts spraying past your face.
4) After the initial bash, you realize that there's no other exit out of the morgue, and that you're trapped. You look around the room for a closet or a corner to hide behind. You don't find any. At this point the next bash occurs. Only two seconds (at least in my imagination) left, and you're standing there frozen.
5) You conclude that the only hiding place there is, is almost the equivalent to diving in the pile of dead bodies and pretending to be future monster food: It's to go into an area where I believe your sanity drops just from being there - a horrid place by itself.
6) There's not one, but two, rooms. I bet that the monster is scripted to go into the room that you're not hiding in, but you're not sure about that, so you're still anxious that he'll go into the room you're in.
Well reasoned, but I do not think that takes away from my scare. But anywho, thanks for the feedback. Smile

04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Find