Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Could I get some feedback on this please?
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
Could I get some feedback on this please?

Hey guys, new here.

I figured I would go directly to the masters at development for some feedback on this video.

Basically, I made a test map to work on my mapping, scripting, tension-building, and horror. What do you guys think?

I would be very appreciative if I got some feedback on this map. Thank you!

04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Find
Xanthos Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Could I get some feedback on this please?

Very nice, reminds me of the old times when I would play Amnesia for the first time.
Good work.

Maybe add some blood decals?

04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

(04-01-2012, 05:02 PM)Xanthos Wrote: Very nice, reminds me of the old times when I would play Amnesia for the first time.
Good work.

Maybe add some blood decals?
Good idea, I didn't use decals that much. The door that leads into the dead bodies room has a trail of blood leading into it, though. Tongue

I should use the dirt and blood decals to really make this place realistic, though.

Thank you Smile

04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

Remember that pointlights, particles, Static decals and billboards are your best friend in a detailed map.

Try to fill up the rooms, don't make them so empty. Sound and music are also good things if they are placed and well chosen Smile

04-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Well I got all three.

Billboards for the window rays, although maybe I didn't play them right. I was never good at them.

Pointlights, I have sporadically, it's supposed to be a really dark map, but in the tunnel I put the pointlight for a few reasons: highlight what I consider to be a good mapping area Tongue and because there's so many lamps I figured they would light up the place a bit. In the wine cellar there is another pointlight because it's not as dark as the kitchen area.

And there are particles - fog, flies, dust falling, etc. littered around the map, although maybe a bit more is needed.

Yes - the rooms are a bit empty. What would you suggest I fill them up with? I think an overabundance of like crates and stuff would make it unrealistic.

Stuff that I changed after posting this video: There is a music that plays when the grunt is banging on the door, and I added a break sound to the crowbar stuff.

04-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

(04-01-2012, 05:28 PM)Putmalk Wrote: Well I got all three.

Billboards for the window rays, although maybe I didn't play them right. I was never good at them.

Pointlights, I have sporadically, it's supposed to be a really dark map, but in the tunnel I put the pointlight for a few reasons: highlight what I consider to be a good mapping area Tongue and because there's so many lamps I figured they would light up the place a bit. In the wine cellar there is another pointlight because it's not as dark as the kitchen area.

And there are particles - fog, flies, dust falling, etc. littered around the map, although maybe a bit more is needed.

Yes - the rooms are a bit empty. What would you suggest I fill them up with? I think an overabundance of like crates and stuff would make it unrealistic.

Stuff that I changed after posting this video: There is a music that plays when the grunt is banging on the door, and I added a break sound to the crowbar stuff.
Billboards: I would suggest looking at the original maps on how they made they billboards

PointLights: Yes maps can still be dark but for example if you have a torch or light you can connect a pointlight for it.

Particles: Also with particles look at different TDD maps on how you could get the best settings and stuff.

When building on cellar, Using big wine barrels, and dividing walls takes alot of space and using both the crates and barrels in containers and Storage makes you able to have alot of variety with crates. And using shelves, rations and other things. As I said before look at some TDD maps for example Wine Cellar or Storage Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 05:34 PM by SilentStriker.)
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

Masters of development? You have TDD maps already in your folders to study from. Just compare the storage map to yours and you should get tons of ideas how to improve. Its all in the detail.

Also giving sanity damage effect from pig corpses might not be a good idea. People who play custom stories have likely seen that same stuff a thousand times.

this:
(04-01-2012, 05:25 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: Remember that pointlights, particles, Static decals and billboards are your best friend in a detailed map.

04-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Find
darkadders Offline

Threads: 1

VERY promising! you got your point and spotlights set up great, as well as the billboards! also good that you have some decent mapping in this; the atmosphere and un-predictable scare gave me my old amnesia feel back, to be honest ^^!.

only thing id want to add are some particle effects and such around here and there. collapsed walls should have some rubble decals as well, as well as some extra rocks here and there. also, if something happened in the map, like, the pile of bodies in that one room; try to make sense of why they're there.

overall conclusion. this looks quite promising, and i hope you carry out your mapping as decently as you did here ^^.
04-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

1:29 - I'm scared of a meat locker? (If you overdo gasps, the protagonist will look like a silly wimp to the player.)
2:03 - This looked really off. A subway station has two parallell starcases because it's highly trafficed (by 100-1000 people) during rush hours. Players may also recognize that they can use these staircases to easily dodge a chasing monster, and even if you don't chase the player in this area, he will still feel that it's safe because of it. If you want a wide staircase, you can alter its size with the scaling handles, but the staircase seems disproportionate to the rest of the passage, because if there's this much traffic, wouldn't they all get stuck trying to squeeze through the door frame at 1:59?
2:58 - I question every time a monster breaks down a door without already knowing that a player is behind it. Do monsters go around breaking doors down just for fun? If so, why hasn't every door been broken down by now? What a coincidence that the player just happen to be in the room that the monster is breaking into.
3:06 - While the monster is scary and strong, if you expect the player to hide next to a shovel, also expect to question why he can't just simply try charging the monster with the shovel, and question the meaning of the hiding mechanic.
4:07 - Cold green-blue light, that seems to emanate from a normal warm-light lantern.
4:36 - The door is obviously locked, but if you're going to scribble a Memento over something, you should also add a short on-screen text about it, so that the player doesn't need to consult his notes to find out what he is currently thinking.
4:50 - This distribution is very odd: You've got one shelf packed full with bottles, and one shelf next to it that seems to be "space for rent".
4:51 - This chandelier is too close to the wine barrel. If the wood doesn't catch on fire, it will get scorch marks, or worse: It will spoil the precious wine.
5:27 - Hold on a minute. How did they manage to squeeze those huge barrels into that room in the first place? Did some carpenters just assenble them there, and then the tank barrels were filled by smaller barrels?

On its own, this map was more eerie than it was scary. It featured one monster and I think a pile of bodies, and the rest was exploration. It's easy to overdo blood decals, and in a wine cellar this may just as easily be spilled wine, but a couple of scary notes might keep the mood. I'd be sadistic enough to put a non-disappearing patrolling monster going back and forth through this rather linear level, to force the player to always have where it is, in mind.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Find
darkadders Offline

Threads: 1

(04-01-2012, 05:55 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: 1:29 - I'm scared of a meat locker? (If you overdo gasps, the protagonist will look like a silly wimp to the player.)
2:03 - This looked really off. A subway station has two parallell starcases because it's highly trafficed (by 100-1000 people) during rush hours. Players may also recognize that they can use these staircases to easily dodge a chasing monster, and even if you don't chase the player in this area, he will still feel that it's safe because of it. If you want a wide staircase, you can alter its size with the scaling handles, but the staircase seems disproportionate to the rest of the passage, because if there's this much traffic, wouldn't they all get stuck trying to squeeze through the door frame at 1:59?
2:58 - I question every time a monster breaks down a door without already knowing that a player is behind it. Do monsters go around breaking doors down just for fun? If so, why hasn't every door been broken down by now? What a coincidence that the player just happen to be in the room that the monster is breaking into.
3:06 - While the monster is scary and strong, if you expect the player to hide next to a shovel, also expect to question why he can't just simply try charging the monster with the shovel, and question the meaning of the hiding mechanic.
4:07 - Cold green-blue light, that seems to emanate from a normal warm-light lantern.
4:36 - The door is obviously locked, but if you're going to scribble a Memento over something, you should also add a short on-screen text about it, so that the player doesn't need to consult his notes to find out what he is currently thinking.
4:50 - This distribution is very odd: You've got one shelf packed full with bottles, and one shelf next to it that seems to be "space for rent".
4:51 - This chandelier is too close to the wine barrel. If the wood doesn't catch on fire, it will get scorch marks, or worse: It will spoil the precious wine.
5:27 - Hold on a minute. How did they manage to squeeze those huge barrels into that room in the first place? Did some carpenters just assenble them there, and then the tank barrels were filled by smaller barrels?

On its own, this map was more eerie than it was scary. It featured one monster and I think a pile of bodies, and the rest was exploration. It's easy to overdo blood decals, and in a wine cellar this may just as easily be spilled wine, but a couple of scary notes might keep the mood. I'd be sadistic enough to put a non-disappearing patrolling monster going back and forth through this rather linear level, to force the player to always have where it is, in mind.
your name unfortunately lives up to itself :/
04-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Find