Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do people realy care about the story in custom storys?
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Do people realy care about the story in custom storys?

(04-17-2012, 07:59 AM)Stepper321 Wrote: If it's a troll level, then no. By troll i mean random level. Now i'm making a troll level with a story. But it seriously is gonna be hilarious :p...
You will need to find the ultimate BANANA Big Grin!!11
Why would you bother making a "troll" level with all of the amazing tools FG has provided its community? It's literally a direct insult to them. I can promise you that they had no intention of 10-14yr olds (I'm only assuming your around that age because of your avatar/sig) making troll/pewdiepie maps when they released their tools.

I rate it 3 memes.
04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-17-2012, 09:26 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Why would you bother making a "troll" level with all of the amazing tools FG has provided its community? It's literally a direct insult to them. I can promise you that they had no intention of 10-14yr olds (I'm only assuming your around that age because of your avatar/sig) making troll/pewdiepie maps when they released their tools.
I have no problem with people making random levels as long as they acknowledge it "truly as random", and not try to sugar-coat a random/funny story with a horror veil (Which in other words is wanting to make a random story, but lack the confidence to deviate completely into that field because of general views of others) tricking yourself, and everyone. Stories when done with the full intention of being random can be a fun roller coaster ride, that won't be remembered for their memorable story, but will be remembered for the good dumb fun we had during the time we played it. It's a bit like Micheal Bay's Transformer series.

If you need more proof that random stories can be good, check out Dark Room. It is random, hilarious, and insane...all in a good way.

Also, on an off topic note I feel I have to say this; being a fan of My Little Pony doesn't make you immature. It just means you like a good show. I hate it when people make implications about a person's age or maturity based on their like of MLP. If a show is good, people of all ages, and maturity should be allowed to like it.

This is off topic though so if anyone wishes to continue this discussion with me, I'd be happy to take it over PM.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM by Kreekakon.)
04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

story is the building blocks of a decent mod, but frankly i doubt this forum gives a flying f*** about it.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

It depends on how good the environments are.
If you toss a note in a corridor, and it's actually five pages long of badly formatted text about what you ate last week, then nobody's going to read it.
If you have the player trek through a golden palace to arrive at the head desk, then you've given the players head time to fill with questions like "What's this place all about?" and "What's going on?", and if you then present him with enough exposition to satisfy some answers, but keep him wondering about it, then (at least intelligent) people will be intrigued enough to think about the story.

In Amnesia, the protagonist has just lost his memory, staggering around, wondering what's going on. This is what the player is wondering too. Who he is can wait until the basic gameplay controls and horror, has been presented. THEN a simple long-term objective is given. It COULD have explained more right there, but it didn't, as that would have left nothing for the player to wonder about later.

My rule of thumb is to let the maps explain as much of the story as possible: Visual explanations and sometimes audial explanations, takes less effort from the player to understand than written explanations.

Final tests of a players understanding of the plot can be given, that he must pass in order to proceed. They might be as simple as "PS. I've hidden the key behind the painting." and they may be very deep, like preparing a room according to the mind of a ghost of a serial killer.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

My Custom story (The Interrogation) is story based CS... around 50 % of people who rated 1, was because they didnt care for story and were in just for scares. Or because of first impression decided about whole Custom Story in first or second map.

So, I say yes, loads of people don't really care.

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
04-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Find
jessehmusic Offline

Threads: 102

(04-17-2012, 03:45 AM)jssjr90 Wrote: Ok so I was working on my custom story today and while I was anylizing the story part of my custom story, a thought came to my mind. Will people care enough about the story to its fullest, including finding the hidden secret tid bits? Meaning you half to put the puzzles together in your head to get an awnser you are looking for that a question may have arised while playing the custom story.

Now when my mod gets released sometime this year "The Hands That Resist Him" With in my story, the direy notes as well as normal notes might leave a question that may have arised. Some of the questions will be awnsered though the envirment, some will be awnserd by putting the puzzle of information together. With that saying, do you think people today will even care about that?

I think I work too hard on my custom story. I make self questions to my self to make sure no events that will conflict or make those plot holes. I make sure every question will be awnserd, some questions might take of some searching around though multiple notes to link them to find your awnser, but thats only the tid bit facts of events. But rest asured all the main question will be awnserd by just listing to the voice acting...which I have yet to get on to, becouse of im in the process of anylizing every single aspect of all the notes and voice acting lines to make sure it all fits and no plot holes what so ever. The main goal is to keep the player pondering that one question till the end that will be awnsered right at the end.

So with that saying, with all the hard work we put into our custom storys, think other people will care enough of the custom storys to its fullest?
the Cs / mod , must have a good story , otherwise it should be just a "survive" story

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jessehmusic - Hospital of horror , WIP
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Website Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

I think maybe 50% of the people who play custom stories don't read notes. So I reckon the other 50% are interested in learning the story. Like you said before, as long as one person enjoys the story, and puts a nice comment on your thread, that is enough evidence that you have done well.

In short: Yes, a lot of people don't care about the story, but you should still put a lot of time and effort into the story for the people who do care. Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM by DRedshot.)
04-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

Actually, this same problem arises in actual storytelling as well: it is the difference between "Invisible Man" and say "Jurassic Park," or between "The Grapes of Wraith" and "Twilight." This happens in every industry - simple things that appeal to base emotions are often more popular, while more involved creations that express complex ideas are only popular amongst a certain group of people. When someone writes a great work of literature, they are not writing to the general populace - their audience is generally contained to other artists (and perhaps some others who also really appreciate the literature).

That said, although there are fewer people who will be interested in it, it will mean a lot more to them.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2012, 12:03 AM by Homicide13.)
04-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Find