Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which Is More Annoying?
Electra Offline

Threads: 5
Which Is More Annoying?

I've heard and seen loads of discussion on the use of Teleporting Naked Guys and Poofers within custom maps. In your opinion, which annoys you the most? Most of the time they are used for jumpscares, but after random scares like that it leaves somewhat of an annoyed feeling. So which annoys you the most and why?

Custom Story Work in Progress: Castle Helmuth
"Who said the glory days had to end?"
04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Which Is More Annoying?

Teleporting naked guys fo'sho, they make no sense and it looks like crap having a T posed naked man tossed at you.
04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Teleporting naked guys.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49

TNG - Hands down

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Website Find
Xanthos Offline

Threads: 9

Teleporting naked guys.

It's random, doesn't make any sense, and it's gay.

04-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Find
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1

Both annoy me to no end. People need to stop using jump scares and twice now I've seen people use that awful looking butcher model.

04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Find
Kaizy Offline

Threads: 0

Unpopular opinion time

Quite frankly, I find poofers to be more annoying
Why? Well, with Teleporting Naked Guys, you just get the jumpscare. It happens, sometimes it catches you off guard (unless it's one of those jumpscares thats predictable as hell, which most are), its usually accompanied by the loud screaming noise...it doesn't provide much of anything that adds to atmosphere or story, but it's definitely an attempt to make someone jump. They're sudden things that are at least trying to startle you. Poofers are a big disappointment, and I hate every single one I see. There's usually no build-up, just like a TNG, you just see the monster barreling towards you screaming, running out of a closet or door, music starts up...and then right when he's next to you, he disappears, all of which happens in seconds. You're lucky if you even alter the bored expression on your face when it happens because they're just not scary, and its giving the monsters more facetime, which in essence makes them even less scary then they're becoming. If almost even closet has a Poofer running at me, I'm just seeing the monster more and more and getting desensitized to the whole experience.

The TNG accompanied with the trademark scream can usually get some kind of reaction from most players if not done half assed and predictable, but a Poofer is so boring. TNG's are sudden and can startle you at some points, which does provide entertainment in some respects (this is coming from someone who hates most of the jumpscares that are overtaking the horror genres these days), but a Poofer doesn't startle you at all...it's just kind of...there. I've found myself running up to any monster in these stories that doesn't have some sort of actual build-up because I KNOW it's going to be a Poofer. The environment in these maps is usually so terrible that I can just run around and any monster I see is hilariously not scary and I'm nearly desensitized by the abundant Poofers by the time an actual monster appears.

Really, I can predict them almost every single time, where as in some cases I cannot predict when a naked dude is going to come flying at me from somewhere screeching like a banshee. In fact, Poofers may be more predictable than TNG's, just sayin'. TNG's are just more entertaining in my personal opinion. I don't defend the constant usage of them or jumpscares alike because honestly, they're so predictable, they just don't work on anyone who has played a handful of custom stories, but Poofers are just so much more annoying because they're such a huge let down. If a monster starts chasing me, I want it to be because I either fucked up being stealthy, or activated an event that adds to the atmosphere. I would rather not have my enemies disappear in a puff of smoke every time I encounter them.

TNG's are stupid, pointless, don't work or add anything to a story or atmosphere, but at least they try to do something.
Poofers are just a waste of time, like teasing me with something fun and then taking it away before I can enjoy it.

So yeah
/unpopular opinion

I play Amnesia Custom Stories a couple times a week on Livestream
Its great fun
http://www.livestream.com/kaizy
Steam account: Krazyw0lfie
04-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

It annoys me the most when you open a door and when you let go, it swings and closes itself...

TNGs and Poofs are just "eh... okay" to me now.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 03:21 AM by Juby.)
04-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

Moaning trees that slowly descend from the ceiling would annoy me just as much as anything else. The less it makes sense, the more annoying it is. Even ghosts and monsters make sense. What ghost makes a living out of pretending to be Jesus and flying into your face screaming? What monster runs up to you and goes poof? Even when Frictional Games did it (at the Archives), I felt that it was done as a joking wink from Jens to you, outside of the game.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Teleporting naked guys... were any teleporting naked guys even in dark descent? I can't remember but I don't think they were. But I find them funny as hell. And extremely annoying when overused.

Poofers can be quite scary initially but after a while they just disappoint.

Anyway, time to work on my custom story featuring teleporting naked guys and poofers.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
04-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Find