Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving models without losing material?
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
Moving models without losing material?

Is there a way to bypass the retarded thing that occurs when moving objects? (that is, the material magically gets unassigned) It has been bugging me ever since I started modding Amnesia. I have tried every possible thing on this earth to get it to reassign the material after the move from one directory to the other but it just won't work. The only fix I know is remodel the whole model and save it in the right directory from the start, which is super tedious and I don't want to do that. Is there any way that I can get the model to show the texture I want it to after the move or do I really have to remodel it from scratch?

Thanks!

[EDIT] Just noticed that I posted this in the wrong forum, could a mod move it to the right place please? Smile

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM by eliasfrost.)
04-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Moving models without losing material?

What? I've found that copy-paste sometimes messes it up but cut-paste almost always work. If worst comes to worst couldn't you just create a new .mat file by opening it in modelview?

Not quite sure I follow.. :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

The thing is, I made the model in Blender and saved in a folder named Models straight in the C:\ and then I moved the folder to the static_models folder inside the Amnesia Redist folder but when I place the model inside the map editor the model has no texture. I have been having this same issue ever since I started using the map editor and I find it extremely frustrating. I just hope Frictional Games will address this issue in the modding tools for HPL 3.

04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Have you opened the .mat file in your amnesia folder? What image does it reference to?

04-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

The material is all fine and dandy. They are pointing towards the right files, all the textures are in the same folder as the .dae fyi.

04-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Okay, I cannot see how moving a .dae would change the structure of the file itself? The only times I encounter these kinds of issues is when the "new" .mat still points to the old texture folder.

04-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

I didn't think they use direct unc file paths, so moving it shouldn't make a difference. Are you sure there wasn't an issue before moving it?
04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

The level editor uses the resources.cfg file to find these things. If the folder you're placing your custom objects in is not listed in the resources.cfg, then you're going to have issues like this.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

(04-07-2012, 05:04 PM)Adrianis Wrote: I didn't think they use direct unc file paths, so moving it shouldn't make a difference. Are you sure there wasn't an issue before moving it?
I am quite positive, because I can create entities of the models and view it in the model viewer, but the level editor is messing things up. Also, the same model and texture files work with Unity3D so I'm very sure the problem lies with the level editor.

Quote:The level editor uses the resources.cfg file to find these things. If
the folder you're placing your custom objects in is not listed in the
resources.cfg, then you're going to have issues like this.

That is interesting, I will look into it as soon as I'm back at my work computer.

EDIT: I did look through the resource.cfg but I'm not sure what you mean, it doesn't show my other custom story directories either but their models are shown just fine. The only folder of interest that is shown is the "static_objects" folder (in which a subdir with my custom models is stored). Am I just supposed to add my folder to the list? But that doesn't seam right either because I didn't have to do that with my last custom story.

btw, it seems I'm the only one having these issues, am I retarded or something lol?

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM by eliasfrost.)
04-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(04-07-2012, 08:01 PM)nackidno Wrote: That is interesting, I will look into it as soon as I'm back at my work computer.

EDIT: I did look through the resource.cfg but I'm not sure what you mean, it doesn't show my other custom story directories either but their models are shown just fine. The only folder of interest that is shown is the "static_objects" folder (in which a subdir with my custom models is stored). Am I just supposed to add my folder to the list? But that doesn't seam right either because I didn't have to do that with my last custom story.

btw, it seems I'm the only one having these issues, am I retarded or something lol?

The level editor has no trouble loading models by manually placing them in the map by replacing a default model with yours, while the level editor is open. Save the map, close the level editor and open the map, then your custom models will either disappear or have other issues if the models' resources are not found within one of the directories listed in the resources.cfg. This is assuming your models aren't also stored in the static_objects folder. The game, also, automatically resolves the file paths of the custom models found within the custom_stories folder (in relation to the currently assumed custom_story_settings.cfg file). This entails that custom story resources are always secondary, at least until the custom_stories folder gets listed as the first directory in the resources.cfg file (but no one should consider doing this as it will affect the main campaign).

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Website Find