Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mapping question
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49
Mapping question

Hello all-

As some of you may know, our (Seth 1466 and I) project (The Attic) is a two man force. Seth maps the base map, I script and usually detail the maps. But I have run into a problem.

WHAT DO I FILL ROOMS WITH?! I dont want to be repetitive, or illogical. Like a giant campfire in a mansion living room would be stupid. So how do you great mappers do it? What do I fill this empty space with?!

Please help ASAP!

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-10-2012, 04:23 AM
Website Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Mapping question

What tile base? For mansions I like to fill rooms with lots of bookshelves, sofas, tables, chairs, desks, and closets.

For castlebase I'll usually have separate rooms for storage, another for living quarters, and on the outside hallways lots of carpets, candlestick floors, paintings, suits of armor, chandeliers, and random assortment of chest of drawers and closets.

Try not to make the rooms too big if you don't want to spend a lot of time filling them with space... :/

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 04:28 AM by Putmalk.)
04-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Unfortunately, celler-base Sad

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Website Find
Putmalk Offline

Cellars you can use a variety of things. First of all, storage is a great example of a map to take after. Divided walls can break up the space while still provide a "roomy" feel, as well as crates, barrels, and no-back shelves. Big wine barrels also work. Cellarbase can be a bit roomy though, if you want, fill it with particle fog effects, that at least makes it look finished. On the floor, try putting wooden planks and bags to make it too look dirty and less empty, and try using the wood pillars to break up really open spaces.

04-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Find
Kiory Offline

Threads: 1

You already have your answer.

"I dont want to be repetitive, or illogical."

If you don't want to be, then don't be. Take inspiration from real places, also, carpets are quite important to break up shapes, not to mention to hide ghastly seams!

Lighting is something often neglected in maps, and in Amnesia, the lighting is probably the most important aspect of mapping, study lighting, it's very important.

Furniture is often placed against walls, but that doesn't mean to say that they have to be, have fun with it. Who says pictures have to be on walls too? You could have a room full of them strewn about, your only limitation is your imagination.

Maybe some leakage from the ceiling with a small puddle on the floor? That would look nice, even better, a bucket there too would add even more coherence.

Basically, think about how YOU would decorate your home, how you would arrange things, AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE LIGHTING, IT'S IMPORTANT!

Smile

04-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Perfect! That makes me thing of a lot of objects I can use now. Thank you so much. +Rep for you and pulmalk.

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 04:42 AM by JetlinerX.)
04-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Website Find
Kiory Offline

Threads: 1

Couple of other things, don't forget that even though buildings are man made, they are still very much organic.

What I mean by that is; creatures live in homes, rats, spiders, moths, flies, creatures like this could really bring a room to life, some cobwebs in the corner of the room etc...
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 04:47 AM by Kiory.)
04-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Good luck mate. Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 04:50 AM by Putmalk.)
04-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Cellar base is actually the easiest to detail from what I've found, a few tips though:
1. Boxes and barrels are your #1 friend when working with cellar base, use the hell out of them, if you see an area that looks empty, throw in a box there, stack barrels in the corners, just put them anywhere they seem to fit
2. Support beams can be another huge help, you can get really intricate patterns going by connecting them well, and then from there you can put hanging ropes and chains on them, they're another great place to put lamp entities
3. The equipment folder, debris folder, ornament folder, ration folder, and storage folder are all great places where you can find other miscellaneous entities that would fit in well to fill up spaces that feel blank, try just flipping through them and you'll find some good stuff

Hope this helps some Smile

Posting Freak
04-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Website Find
JetlinerX Offline

(04-10-2012, 04:51 AM)kman Wrote: The equipment folder, debris folder, ornament folder, ration folder, and storage folder
Yes! Thank you so much!

What do you all think of this? Smile

[Image: Test1.png]

~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 05:28 AM by JetlinerX.)
04-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Website Find