Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a little help with the process of custom models.
Kiory Offline

Threads: 1
Need a little help with the process of custom models.

Hey guys, my first post here, hope someone takes the time to help me out.

So basically, I'm having a really big issue with custom models in the model editor and in the level editor itself, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I've never had a problem like this on any other engine.

So my process is:

1. For entities, create a folder in the entities folder named whatever, in that folder create another for a specific type of asset/s.

2. Export your .DAE model to that folder (I use max) and import into model editor. Now this is where things start going wrong.

Basically at this point the model imports, however it's invisible, shouldn't it be shaded at least? Anyway, I can select it by clicking and dragging, but it appears in wire frame.

3. I continue to create a material from the textures created, which are in the same folder as the .DAE file, I save the .mat to the same folder.

4. I apply the material to the model in the model editor, Ok so that works, it applies fine, I can now see my model with all Diff, norm and spec applied.

5. I create a body for super physics, attach the mesh to the body, alright, job done, click test, invisible mesh again. Click on "show physics debug info", I can see the bounding box, interact with it, but not the mesh itself.

6.Save out to .ent in the same folder, try it under entities in the level editor, same thing, it's there, but it's just invisible.

Anyway, what the hell can I possibly be doing wrong, is it the engines fault or mine? I've never had this sort of difficulty with any other engine.

Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

:EDIT: I should also note that when I try to run my custom map with the mesh in game, the exe just crashes, so it's not even usable... I have a feeling it's something to do with the way 3DS max 2011 exports collada files.

Would any blender users be willing to import my model into blender then export as a .dae, just for clarity?

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 05:37 AM by Kiory.)
04-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Find
Kiory Offline

RE: Need a little help with the process of custom models.

You know what?

Scratch that, I just grabbed blender and tried that, it's even worse, the mesh just gets jumbled up and it's still invisible in the same places described above.

I'm getting fairly annoyed about this... It should be so much simpler than what hoops I am currently jumping through.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 05:49 AM by Kiory.)
04-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

When you apply your textures, be sure to apply them in your 3d program with proper directories.
For example, if you have a chair, be sure the textures you use are taken from your entities folder. If you have them in, say, Users>Username>Pictures, it won't apply properly. Then export using your process.

04-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Find
Kiory Offline

Alright well, I have already done that, but maybe I need to use a different material type?

Right now I have it set as a direct x shader with a standard FX, if I'm supposed to be using something else I would love to know. Tongue
04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If the level editor can't find the material file and textures referenced, your model won't be textured. The level editor relies on the resources.cfg file to search for the files used in the map. Placing the object in the level editor is one thing, finding the files the object uses is another.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Website Find
Kiory Offline

As I've stated, the necessary files are in the right location, all of the textures (which are .dds), the .mat, .ent, .msh etc...

I don't mean to sound ungrateful at all, I really do appreciate the help, but I just find the way that I need to get this to work a pain in the ass and it's getting frustrating.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 05:41 PM by Kiory.)
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Find
Kiory Offline

Has anybody got any other solutions I could try?
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Find