Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Create Textures
asghdrew Offline

Threads: 10
Question  Create Textures

What I wanted to know is how to make more (additional) textures for Grunt , Table , Ladder etc....
What I have achieved is creating a texture for the grunt ,but it only works when I Replace the original texture.
So how do I get to have multiple textures or create more the same entities but with different use of texture.

Much Apreciated Big Grin

lol noobs
04-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Create Textures

Easy, Simply copy the entire grunt folder (to desktop), edit the .dds file in the duplicate and rename the folder to whatever you want! Smile
Then remember to put your folder back where it came from (entities/enemy)
And also remember to put it in your custom stories folder like this:

"custom_stories/YourStory/entities/enemy/YourMonster/"

^- That is the easy option.

The alternate way is to import the grunt's .dae into your 3d modelling software, and change the colour filter on the material to your custom .dds file. However, this way MIGHT require you to do the same to all the animation files, i'm not too sure... The only good thing about doing it this way is you can keep it in the same folder as the original grunt, so it saves memory. Apart from that, I'd just stick to the top option.

EDIT:
I focused on the grunt example, but the same can be done for any other item, in fact it's easier, because they don't have to be put back in the same folder they were taken from. I always put monsters in the enemy folder, just to be sure they will work, but you can probably put the grunt wherever you want too.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2012, 01:04 AM by DRedshot.)
04-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Find
asghdrew Offline

(04-11-2012, 12:57 AM)DRedshot Wrote: Easy, Simply copy the entire grunt folder (to desktop), edit the .dds file in the duplicate and rename the folder to whatever you want! Smile
Then remember to put your folder back where it came from (entities/enemy)
And also remember to put it in your custom stories folder like this:

"custom_stories/YourStory/entities/enemy/YourMonster/"

^- That is the easy option.

The alternate way is to import the grunt's .dae into your 3d modelling software, and change the colour filter on the material to your custom .dds file. However, this way MIGHT require you to do the same to all the animation files, i'm not too sure... The only good thing about doing it this way is you can keep it in the same folder as the original grunt, so it saves memory. Apart from that, I'd just stick to the top option.

EDIT:
I focused on the grunt example, but the same can be done for any other item, in fact it's easier, because they don't have to be put back in the same folder they were taken from. I always put monsters in the enemy folder, just to be sure they will work, but you can probably put the grunt wherever you want too.
Thanks Big Grin
I thought that there is something to do with material files and entity files....
But I never thought that it would be that simple .

lol noobs
04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Find
asghdrew Offline

I tryied the top option...
When I created a new folder called GRUNT
And made the dds skin pale after I went in the model editor and opened up the Ent file from GRUNT folder but its still using the original textures :/
So then I opened Material Editor and opened the GRUNT mat file and it was using my new texture But the ent file isn't...
Help ?

lol noobs
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

Oh, just realised there were a couple of steps I forgot to mention.

Ok, continuing from the steps above, once you have your folder back in the enemy folder, open up the .mat file in the material editor, go to the 'diffuse' area, and browse for your new custom skin texture. Once this is done click save.
Now open your custom 'servant_grunt.ent' in the model editor. It will still have the old material applied, so click on the model's mesh, and on the right, at the bottom, should be a parameter called 'Material' Select your modified material file and save! Now it should work in game.

04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Find
asghdrew Offline

(04-11-2012, 04:45 PM)DRedshot Wrote: Oh, just realised there were a couple of steps I forgot to mention.

Ok, continuing from the steps above, once you have your folder back in the enemy folder, open up the .mat file in the material editor, go to the 'diffuse' area, and browse for your new custom skin texture. Once this is done click save.
Now open your custom 'servant_grunt.ent' in the model editor. It will still have the old material applied, so click on the model's mesh, and on the right, at the bottom, should be a parameter called 'Material' Select your modified material file and save! Now it should work in game.
Yes It Works !
Thanx Big Grin

lol noobs
04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Find