Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Update on my first official story, but need feedback and help
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Question  Update on my first official story, but need feedback and help

Sorry for being a away for a while, but things have been busy in my life. My old ideas (http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-12704.html) is no longer being done for a couple of reasons. First, I do not have the ability to make brand new monster models. Second, I thought up a better, scary story.

The big reason why I haven't posted my first custom story is I want to make a good first impression; so I want to have/do something in it not seen in a normal custom story.

My new story, working title "Project: Underworld", is a kind of sequel to the Penumbra series.Here is the teaser/plot
---Your character's father was involved with carrying out Philip's wishes. The father was actually a researcher and brought back things he and his team found back to the U.S. for study. "Don't worry, they're dead." was your dad's reasoning for bringing something (never told you what) to the special laboratory under your second home. Unfortunately, they 'specimens', were not as dead as they seamed...---

Now various things from Penumbra have been successfully been brought into Amnesia (all credits, if I use those models, will go to the people who converted them to Amnesia). However, a few things haven't been able to be brought into Amnesia or hasn't yet been brought.

1: As you know, I've asked around about having the Gray Rock Worm for Amnesia. Even if I do/don't use it, just having the option of having it in Amnesia would be great. Right now all who I know, even myself, have tried to do this have resulted in a backwards moving worm... not to mention that each of its animations are individual monster files. If anyone knows something to make it work will be greatly appreciated.

2: Now I do plan on having/using Amnesia stuff as well, but I do have a question. Amnesia has body parts of the Grunt monster. My question can best be described in the following scene:

"You hide behind a barrel because a Grunt is not too far in front of you. Not seeing you, it moves off down the hall to the left. Not long after it disappears a terrifying monster roars, followed soon by a crunch and Grunt Body parts are flung down and land in the hall to your right."

Now how can one do the above situation?

3: Now I know that doors can be broken by monsters, but can a 'wall' (door subsitute?) be used to have destroyable walls/floor?

These are my big, and current, questions I have for my story. I have not yet started production seeing that I have the above three obstacles blocking me. Now I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd ones will be answered before someone comes up and says they've successfully brought the Penumbra Worm to Amnesia.
04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Update on my first official story, but need feedback and help

(04-11-2012, 06:19 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Sorry for being a away for a while, but things have been busy in my life. My old ideas (http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-12704.html) is no longer being done for a couple of reasons. First, I do not have the ability to make brand new monster models. Second, I thought up a better, scary story.

2: Now I do plan on having/using Amnesia stuff as well, but I do have a question. Amnesia has body parts of the Grunt monster. My question can best be described in the following scene:

"You hide behind a barrel because a Grunt is not too far in front of you. Not seeing you, it moves off down the hall to the left. Not long after it disappears a terrifying monster roars, followed soon by a crunch and Grunt Body parts are flung down and land in the hall to your right."

1. Spawn the grunt
2. The grunt's path nodes are set to eventually walk into the hall to the left
3. Add a timer or an entity collide (grunt -> area).
4. After this condition is met (time expires or grunt touches area), you do a small screen shake, you hear the grunt's noise (these are in the sound files).
5. Activate the body parts and add a force to fling them toward the hall to your right.
6. You may want to do some checks to make sure the player doesn't witness this happening, since it won't look good if he can see it happening (what I mean is, you don't want to play to see the grunt hit the area, for random body parts to appear, and fly toward him, you want him to see this when they're offscreen).

04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(04-11-2012, 07:00 PM)Putmalk Wrote:
(04-11-2012, 06:19 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Sorry for being a away for a while, but things have been busy in my life. My old ideas (http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-12704.html) is no longer being done for a couple of reasons. First, I do not have the ability to make brand new monster models. Second, I thought up a better, scary story.

1. Spawn the grunt
2. The grunt's path nodes are set to eventually walk into the hall to the left
3. Add a timer or an entity collide (grunt -> area).
4. After this condition is met (time expires or grunt touches area), you do a small screen shake, you hear the grunt's noise (these are in the sound files).
5. Activate the body parts and add a force to fling them toward the hall to your right.
6. You may want to do some checks to make sure the player doesn't witness this happening, since it won't look good if he can see it happening (what I mean is, you don't want to play to see the grunt hit the area, for random body parts to appear, and fly toward him, you want him to see this when they're offscreen).
Thank you for explaining how to do that part! I will have to try that in test level(s) to get the hang of it. Thanks again pal! I will get to testing this when I have the free time, but I will let you know when I have successfully followed your easy 6 step instructions Smile

04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25

You really seem to like the rock worm XD

04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(04-11-2012, 07:12 PM)Datguy5 Wrote: You really seem to like the rock worm XD
Yes, very subtle Big Grin . I had never seen or played something that had giant worms before, and seeing the Rock Worm in Penumbra for the first time no only liked it, but made me wondered were there real life predatory worms. While a lot that I first read were sea dwelling, I did find out about predatory leeches (non blood sucking) that behave similarly to this worm (only toothless and MUCH SMALLER). He's my favorite monster in the Frictional Games series so far (though I admit the Amnesia Brute would make a great Halloween costume!)

Now I do not plan on studying worms for a living... unless maybe a giant 33.6' monster worm was found!
04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25

(04-11-2012, 07:22 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
Yes, very subtle Big Grin . I had never seen or played something that had giant worms before, and seeing the Rock Worm in Penumbra for the first time no only liked it, but made me wondered were there real life predatory worms. While a lot that I first read were sea dwelling, I did find out about predatory leeches (non blood sucking) that behave similarly to this worm (only toothless and MUCH SMALLER). He's my favorite monster in the Frictional Games series so far (though I admit the Amnesia Brute would make a great Halloween costume!)

Now I do not plan on studying worms for a living... unless maybe a giant 33.6' monster worm was found!
I havent played penumbra.But ive seen vids of it and that worm too and i have to say.I have exact same oppinion bout these monsters.Brute and the rock worm are the best ones.

04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(04-11-2012, 07:29 PM)Datguy5 Wrote:
(04-11-2012, 07:22 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:

I havent played penumbra.But ive seen vids of it and that worm too and i have to say.I have exact same oppinion bout these monsters.Brute and the rock worm are the best ones.
You should play Penumbra, it is a great story (It starts in Overture and finishes in Black Plague). Do you think the Brutes would befriend a giant worm or try to battle it?
04-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

The brute would be eaten before he did anything. You can't kill a worm. You just need a stick to beat up the brute.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(04-11-2012, 08:05 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: The brute would be eaten before he did anything. You can't kill a worm. You just need a stick to beat up the brute.
When you said 'You can't kill a worm.' I just had a funny thought. If that worm is a nightmare to us, imagine those birds who would prey on tiny worms seeing this MONSTER worm Big Grin

04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Check this out,
Might help LOTS of new ppl!
http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-7085.html
CLICK THE SPOILER BELOW!!!
IF u needed this....
Lange.
-NOCTURNAL CONFUSION-
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2012, 11:46 PM by DnALANGE.)
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Find