Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the secret formula for scaring someone [No cheap scares!]
jssjr90 Offline

Threads: 39
RE: What is the secret formula for scaring someone [No cheap scares!]

What makes you think that Cranky old man? I know how to scare people in my maps. Also not respecting a story that is just going to scare people? Relay now? Dont judge a book by its cover. I think its time that you take a nap, getting a bit, shall I say "cranky"

Just to be clear, the point of this thread is to talk about how to scare people. Not helping me to know how. So ill just leave it at that.
04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-18-2012, 04:03 PM)jssjr90 Wrote: What makes you think that Cranky old man? I know how to scare people in my maps. Also not respecting a story that is just going to scare people? Relay now? Dont judge a book by its cover. I think its time that you take a nap, getting a bit, shall I say "cranky"

I swear some of you guys are made of eggshells. Other players probably likes horror simply because they like to jump, and they probably love jumpscares. I personally like a good, hardcore story for men with hairy chests. If I'm going to play something, I'd like the author to have something to say, or else I'll just be wasting my time, and he'll just be drowning out all the good stories. The meaning of the story should be told with a skillfully crafted atmosphere, that is in turned established through good level design and various other small techniques.

Horror is like music: There are artists who lack souls, who loves the money that stardom brings, but just sings covers of other musicians. Those are worthless timewasters and frauds. Real musicians has got something to say, and has the intuitive skills and intelligence to bring forth their message. There is no secret recipee behind horror or music, but if there were, I'd make sure that other people wouldn't get their greedy hands on it.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Find
jssjr90 Offline

You need to work on your attitude around here man. You expect EVERYONE to be perfect at the stuff they do around here which in fact that is not going to happen. We try are best at our custom story's and are proud for what we have made and in hopes that other people are appreciated by it, but I guess people like you Cranky Old Man just expect the high king to kiss your feet. Work on your attitude and then talk.
04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-18-2012, 05:24 PM)jssjr90 Wrote: You need to work on your attitude around here man. You expect EVERYONE to be perfect at the stuff they do around here which in fact that is not going to happen. We try are best at our custom story's and are proud for what we have made and in hopes that other people are appreciated by it, but I guess people like you Cranky Old Man just expect the high king to kiss your feet. Work on your attitude and then talk.
In just a few years from now, somewhere around judgement day, my shining, golden fallos of a story, will be known to all, and it shall wear a crown made of even more golden... ...gold.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Find
jssjr90 Offline

You know clearly I can see you have a bad attitude towards me and just plain boasting about some story crap. Well good luck with that. I am not going to have a pointless argument over you. Good day to you sir. You have just turned this thread into what is now a pointless argument you F***ing smart ass troll.
04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

This is completely off topic, but...Cranky almost ALWAYS brings good advice with him. He's one of the smartest people in this field I've seen. He sometimes may send it through in a harsh/sarcastic way (A way I don't really agree with), but he does it to better make his point. While it may sound hard on the ears, you should simmer down, and listen to him. He's actually a nice person if you're open-minded, and accepting of his criticism towards you.

On another note, Cranky, you remind me of a mod on another forum I've gone to for a long time. Your personalities are 80% identical. Harsh, but helpful person =)
04-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(04-19-2012, 03:23 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: This is completely off topic, but...Cranky almost ALWAYS brings good advice with him. He's one of the smartest people in this field I've seen. He sometimes may send it through in a harsh/sarcastic way (A way I don't really agree with), but he does it to better make his point. While it may sound hard on the ears, you should simmer down, and listen to him. He's actually a nice person if you're open-minded, and accepting of his criticism towards you.

On another note, Cranky, you remind me of a mod on another forum I've gone to for a long time. Your personalities are 80% identical. Harsh, but helpful person =)
I lol'ed at "Hes one of the smartest people in this field I've seen."

04-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Find
jssjr90 Offline

Well I don't relay care about Crank's opinion's respectively. Lets just stick back to the topic on this thread.
04-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Ok, then here's what I think. I'll use SCP: Containment Breach as an example. It is one of the scariest games I've ever played, and here's why I think so:

1. The game is randomized everytime you play it. Not only does this increase re-play value, but it also makes the player not to know what to expect, keeping them on their toes. Regardless of whether your game is randomized everytime, this is important: Don't be predictable.
2. The art of anticipation, as stated before. Knowing SCP 173 is out there for you, but not knowing when he will strike makes the experience ultimately scarier.
3. SCP 173's "calmly" dangerous nature. The appearance of a seemingly calm thing makes it all scarier when the player still realizes that it's very dangerous. This aspect shares some elements with "fear of the unknown" in my opinion.
4. Ambient noises, and music can further intensify the player's fear coming from the anticipation.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2012, 05:57 AM by Kreekakon.)
04-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Find
jssjr90 Offline

Got to love that fear of the unknown, the best kind of fear!
04-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Find