Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exporting
jamessnk1 Offline

Threads: 6
Exporting

I made a model in maya but I don't know how to export it to make it an entity in amnesia

Im trying to make the files but all i have so far is the .dae file. I don't know how to make the .dds, .ent, .mat, or .msh files. Please help.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM by jamessnk1.)
04-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Exporting

Before beginning, make a folder in either "static_objects" or "entities" in the root folder that will hold your model(s). Place the textures in there and name them properly. Then open the model in Maya and redirect the texture to the image in your Amnesia folder. Once that is done, continue with these steps:

1) You're going to need a version of Maya earlier than 2012. Assuming that is finished, continue.

2) Download the OpenCollada plugin and activate it by going to "Window > Settings/Preferences > Plugin Manager > COLLADAmaya"
Download Link = http://opencollada.org/download.html

3) Then you need to make sure your "Linear" is set to 'meters' rather than the default centimeters. Go to "Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Settings" and change the linear to meters. Save and close the window.

4) The grid should have grown in size. If needed, import something from amnesia, such as a grunt or anything relative to the size of your model, so the scale is proper.

5) Time to clean! Pick the model and select these two in this order:
"Modify (in the taskbar at the top) > Freeze Transformations", THEN
"Modify > Reset Transformations", THEN
"Edit > Delete by Type > History"

6) Save the scene and export the model to the same folder as the texture(s) using the "OpenCollada Exporter" filetype. It helps to make the model the same name as the textures. Just for neatness sake and to save from some trouble. Make sure Triangulate is checked!!

7) Open in ModelVIEW and the .mat and .msh should be generated automatically.

Hope this helps!

Late EDIT is late...

You make a .dds with a photo editing program such as Photoshop or GIMP. They need a .dds plugin to work, as it doesn't come standard.

.mats are material files and are made using the material editor or by loading a new model in the ModelView. It will generate automatically.

.msh generate upon load in the ModelView or ModelEditor

.ents are made using the ModelEditor to import a model and give it a shape and variables such as making a door, a note, health object, enemy, etc. Without a .ent, a model is a static_object. Simply do your business in the ModelEditor, Save As... and there is your .ent.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2012, 09:39 PM by Statyk.)
04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Find
jamessnk1 Offline

(04-24-2012, 09:36 PM)Statyk Wrote: Before beginning, make a folder in either "static_objects" or "entities" in the root folder that will hold your model(s). Place the textures in there and name them properly. Then open the model in Maya and redirect the texture to the image in your Amnesia folder. Once that is done, continue with these steps:

1) You're going to need a version of Maya earlier than 2012. Assuming that is finished, continue.

2) Download the OpenCollada plugin and activate it by going to "Window > Settings/Preferences > Plugin Manager > COLLADAmaya"
Download Link = http://opencollada.org/download.html

3) Then you need to make sure your "Linear" is set to 'meters' rather than the default centimeters. Go to "Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Settings" and change the linear to meters. Save and close the window.

4) The grid should have grown in size. If needed, import something from amnesia, such as a grunt or anything relative to the size of your model, so the scale is proper.

5) Time to clean! Pick the model and select these two in this order:
"Modify (in the taskbar at the top) > Freeze Transformations", THEN
"Modify > Reset Transformations", THEN
"Edit > Delete by Type > History"

6) Save the scene and export the model to the same folder as the texture(s) using the "OpenCollada Exporter" filetype. It helps to make the model the same name as the textures. Just for neatness sake and to save from some trouble. Make sure Triangulate is checked!!

7) Open in ModelVIEW and the .mat and .msh should be generated automatically.

Hope this helps!

Late EDIT is late...

You make a .dds with a photo editing program such as Photoshop or GIMP. They need a .dds plugin to work, as it doesn't come standard.

.mats are material files and are made using the material editor or by loading a new model in the ModelView. It will generate automatically.

.msh generate upon load in the ModelView or ModelEditor

.ents are made using the ModelEditor to import a model and give it a shape and variables such as making a door, a note, health object, enemy, etc. Without a .ent, a model is a static_object. Simply do your business in the ModelEditor, Save As... and there is your .ent.
When I opened it in the model view it changed the textures to stone. was there an error in loading or something?

04-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

(04-24-2012, 09:53 PM)jamessnk1 Wrote: When I opened it in the model view it changed the textures to stone. was there an error in loading or something?
It is because you did not redirect the image like I said in the first paragraph.

04-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Find
jamessnk1 Offline

(04-24-2012, 09:55 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(04-24-2012, 09:53 PM)jamessnk1 Wrote: When I opened it in the model view it changed the textures to stone. was there an error in loading or something?
It is because you did not redirect the image like I said in the first paragraph.
I must have done something wrong. I did that but it's still giving me the stone thing

04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

.... Are you sure you did it correctly?

- Place the model's folder in the "entities" ROOT/REDIST folder, not your custom story folder.
- Delete the .msh, .ent, .mat., and .dae. You should only have the .dds or whatever the image file is.
- Open the model in Maya and pick the model. Then go to the texture tab and redirect to the image in the folder.
- Export to the folder the texture is in. PREFERABLY making the model the SAME EXACT name as the texture.
- Open in the ModelView and it should be fine.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2012, 10:15 PM by Statyk.)
04-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Find
jamessnk1 Offline

(04-24-2012, 10:12 PM)Statyk Wrote: .... Are you sure you did it correctly?

- Place the model's folder in the "entities" ROOT/REDIST folder, not your custom story folder.
- Delete the .msh, .ent, .mat., and .dae. You should only have the .dds or whatever the image file is.
- Open the model in Maya and pick the model. Then go to the texture tab and redirect to the image in the folder.
- Export to the folder the texture is in. PREFERABLY making the model the SAME EXACT name as the texture.
- Open in the ModelView and it should be fine.
Okay, I got everything to work now. The only thing is I can't pick it up like normal entities. Like a box or a barrel. It just sits there like a static object

04-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

This is what the ModelEditor is for.

- Open the ModelEditor, go to "File > Import Mesh"
- Pick the "shapes" tool on the left and create boxes, cylinders, spheres where necessary and surround your model properly. Without these shapes, the mesh will not collide with the world or player.
- Once the model is surrounded by the shape(s), select each one by holding Shift while clicking.
- Once they are all selected, click "Create Body" on the right. Now the shapes are green.
- Click on the "body" tab on the right and change "mass" to any number above 0 to give it physics, as well as checking anything else underneath that may need to be unchecked/checked. Body Material applies the sounds and particle effects of the object, such as making a book sound like a book, or metal, etc.
- Go to the next tab, Attachments, and pick the "Su" button, which stands for SubMesh. Press 'Attach' and pick the model you made. Then click done. Now the model is attached to the body.

Now to make it a grab object, simple enough:
- Go up to "Settings > User Defined Variables"
- Change Type to 'Object', and SubType to "Grab"
- Close the window, save the .ent into the folder your .dae was in, and you should be good!
04-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Find
jamessnk1 Offline

(04-25-2012, 01:33 AM)Statyk Wrote: This is what the ModelEditor is for.

- Open the ModelEditor, go to "File > Import Mesh"
- Pick the "shapes" tool on the left and create boxes, cylinders, spheres where necessary and surround your model properly. Without these shapes, the mesh will not collide with the world or player.
- Once the model is surrounded by the shape(s), select each one by holding Shift while clicking.
- Once they are all selected, click "Create Body" on the right. Now the shapes are green.
- Click on the "body" tab on the right and change "mass" to any number above 0 to give it physics, as well as checking anything else underneath that may need to be unchecked/checked. Body Material applies the sounds and particle effects of the object, such as making a book sound like a book, or metal, etc.
- Go to the next tab, Attachments, and pick the "Su" button, which stands for SubMesh. Press 'Attach' and pick the model you made. Then click done. Now the model is attached to the body.

Now to make it a grab object, simple enough:
- Go up to "Settings > User Defined Variables"
- Change Type to 'Object', and SubType to "Grab"
- Close the window, save the .ent into the folder your .dae was in, and you should be good!
Thank you so much. That was really really helpful! Big Grin

04-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Find