Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Cryostasis .DDS for Amnesia?
JPPaperstacks Offline

Threads: 4
Question  Cryostasis .DDS for Amnesia?

I noticed while browsing through the data folders of Cryostasis that it uses .dds files for walls, ceilings, floors, some physical entities and the likes, and was wondering if anyone knew an EFFICIENT way to use them in the HPL2 editor, if any. Don't be ashamed in me if this is not possible because it's really just wishful thinking on my part. I tried to copy the files into the static_objects folder of Amnesia, and then again in the entities, and once more attempting to load the textures (if that's what they were) through... the texture browser. For lack of better words, I failed miserably and went on to playing Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi to kill steam. I just really don't want to use the same wall, ceiling, and floor patterns that almost everyone else is using for their custom stories and I've been poking around games trying to convert the hell out of models and the likes for that reason alone. (Games like- E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, Prey, Doom 3) I've spent days attempting to come up with at least one, and again- have nothing original, or unique to build the setting I wish to create with the editor. (A Gothic, Bladerunner-esque type of Neo-Tokyo brimming with flashy neon lights and grimy alleys) I got The Confederacy's Nightmare mod and all of the walls and which-not in that custom story have allowed me to pursue some sort of alternatives to dirty castles, but I have to admit that they only work for small space vessels as venturing in larger halls have proven to make the levels look like a System Shock rip-off. I would make them myself, and I should- not that I won't ever get around to learning; but I'm just naturally better at concept and story. -.- Almost completely lacking on design. Help would be much appreciated! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM by JPPaperstacks.)
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Cryostasis .DDS for Amnesia?

Whilst it would be piracy to spread these files around without the developers approval, it's VERY simple to use the files. Do as you did before, copy the .dds files into whichever folder you want to within the amnesia directory and the launch materialeditor.exe which comes with the development tools, with this tool you can simply assign diffuse, specular normal maps and so on by using your new .dds files.
After assigning them simply save your material file out under the same name as the texture, this will create yourtexturenamehere.mat which can be loaded and used in the HPL2 engine.
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

To prevent getting butt-f**ked by the law, you may want to consider searching for free textures online rather than ripping them from other games. I thought about exactly the same thing, but there are two problems, firstly as Traggey points out - it is highly illegal, and as such your mod will have a very very limited run. Secondly, it may be difficult to create a unique environment with textures taken from other games, as they will often be tailored to the art style of the game, so mixing and matching may look a little funny... Thirdly, there is nothing wrong with creating a system shock rip-off environment Smile I'd love to see that
05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Find
JPPaperstacks Offline

Threads: 4

Thank you for replying so quick!

@Traggey
Thank you warning me about the laws. I figured it had something to do with the .mat files, thanks Traggey for the detailed information on how to do it. Is it still piracy and highly illegal if I change the textures up a bit? (Mess around with the color, add details, or switch around certain details- I could easily re-make the smaller things if I tried. I thought it was only piracy if you received income from you mod, or sold it, which you aren't suppose to do anyways right?

@Adrianas
I've looked before for free textures online, but I guess I couldn't dig deep enough. Yeah, I figured it'd be mixed up worse than the jointed Amnesia/Penumbra mods- but those still look amazing when you don't jumble them. I actually enjoy the art-style from the games I've been trying, and I wouldn't know where to begin to search for suitable textures. Thank you for warning me about the law. Actually, as for the System Shock rip-off environment, it never occurred to me that I can change the walls and everything to white or gray from black- allowing me for a little change up. :p
05-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Find