Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help billboard and boxlight question
heyitsrobert97 Offline

Threads: 29
billboard and boxlight question

Hi, I Need To Know How To Make A Billboard lightray look very dull. at the moment it is a pale yellow and forms a circle every 15y rotation but it is so bright in game that you can't even look at the screen its so bright. how can i dim it right down.

and with a boxlight is it possible to make it light a room a little bit rather than it being like the brightness setting of the game is at max.

This Darn House! , Four Doors, Youtube
05-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Find
Linus Ågren Offline

Threads: 58
RE: billboard and boxlight question

I'm not 100% sure if lowering the Alpha on the Billboards will work, so to lower the brightness, just lower the colors of it.

Example, if it's a 1/1/1/1, go down to 0.6/0.6/0.6/1, and it should be less bright.

Creator of The Dark Treasure.
05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Website Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

They best way of working with billboards is connecting them to a point light that is outside the map and then change the colors of the light. And yes you can connect multiple billboards a 1 pointlight. Try it and experiment with it Smile

Yes boxlight can light up a room as much/little you want, it can also tint the whole map in a color. Play around with the colors and you see Smile

05-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Also when working with boxlights - they are not supposed to be the main source of light in a room. That task should mainly be done by pointlights (excessive use of spotlights can cause lag). A boxlight doesn't activate the specular map of an object. You can think of a boxlight behaving as the light "in the shadow" on a sunny day.

This is a matter of taste but; I think billboards should be lowered to the point of being barely visible when looking at them. The values R/G/B/A controls the light/visibility of lights and billboards. I think the A is only viable for pointlights and spotlights, as it seems to determine the amount of specularity the light causes upon a surface.

^ Take none of the above as facts, just my speculations :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Find