Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

An Idea/Suggestion
Dakkadakkadakka Offline

Threads: 1
An Idea/Suggestion

I had an idea that I think would create even more immersion in a game like Amnesia, but I don't know how one would integrate this into the game. I sadly don't have the knowledge for it. My idea is the ability to use a microphone while playing, so that you have to keep quiet while hiding from monsters. It would just be another thing that would add to that feeling of helplessness by not being able to defend yourself, and it would be realistic that you wouldn't be able to squeal like a stuck pig while hiding in a dark corner. XD

Any thoughts?
05-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: An Idea/Suggestion

I don't think it would work very well, because if it has a real impact on being 'safe' in the game people would just unplug their mic. Also people like to play the game while talking to their friends using their mics, and it wouldn't be very fun to have to shut up because a monster is nearby. Then there's the problem a lot of people don't even have mics.

Also the whole idea of "Plug in your mic so you have to be quiet" just seems so ironic.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM by Damascus Rose.)
05-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Find
Dakkadakkadakka Offline

(05-15-2012, 01:16 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I don't think it would work very well, because if it has a real impact on being 'safe' in the game people would just unplug their mic. Also people like to play the game while talking to their friends using their mics, and it wouldn't be very fun to have to shut up because a monster is nearby. Then there's the problem a lot of people don't even have mics.

Also the whole idea of "Plug in your mic so you have to be quiet" just seems so ironic.
If such a thing were to be implemented, I realize that it would have to be optional. It just wouldn't be feasible for some, which is fine. The stealth mechanic works great as is, but this is for if you REALLY wanted to get into it. For me, that's what it's all about- the immersion. Less immersion means less fear.
05-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(05-15-2012, 02:58 AM)Dakkadakkadakka Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 01:16 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I don't think it would work very well, because if it has a real impact on being 'safe' in the game people would just unplug their mic. Also people like to play the game while talking to their friends using their mics, and it wouldn't be very fun to have to shut up because a monster is nearby. Then there's the problem a lot of people don't even have mics.

If such a thing were to be implemented, I realize that it would have to be optional. It just wouldn't be feasible for some, which is fine. The stealth mechanic works great as is, but this is for if you REALLY wanted to get into it. For me, that's what it's all about- the immersion. Less immersion means less fear.
While it may do some to increase immersion for some people, there's still the question of spending time to implement such a feature, time which could be spent creating other aspects of the game. There's the question, is it worth it for the number of people who will get anything out of it?

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
05-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

To be honest, it wouldn't really work. Assuming you could even get it to work, the player talking/affecting the monster makes no sense. In addition, it would ruin the entire LP scene. How are Cryaotic and Pewdiepie gonna make money after that?

As far as I know people don't "squeal like a stuck pig" if they encounter a monster, especially in the jokes known as modern custom stories. If anything, they'll laugh as they throw boxes at it.

I rate it 3 memes.
05-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Find
Dakkadakkadakka Offline

(05-15-2012, 07:18 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: To be honest, it wouldn't really work. Assuming you could even get it to work, the player talking/affecting the monster makes no sense. In addition, it would ruin the entire LP scene. How are Cryaotic and Pewdiepie gonna make money after that?

As far as I know people don't "squeal like a stuck pig" if they encounter a monster, especially in the jokes known as modern custom stories. If anything, they'll laugh as they throw boxes at it.
Hm, could you explain what you mean by it not making any sense? You hide from the monster and you keep quiet to not blow your cover.

And as I mentioned to someone above, it would have to be optional for many reasons though. I acknowledge that. So in that regard it wouldn't necessarily affect the LP scene.

It was just an idea I thought would be neat to add to the immersion was all.
05-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

had the same idea a while back. HOW COOL wouldnt it be to have an inbuilt DB meter in your amnesia game! i hope someone makes it one day, hopefully ^^

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
05-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

I imagine that tweaking the mic volume/reception to acceptable in-game levels would be a pain. Otherwise, incoming signal could be way too loud or way too quiet which kills the whole point (monster will be hearing every your sigh or nothing at all).

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
05-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(05-15-2012, 11:20 AM)Kein Wrote: I imagine that tweaking the mic volume/reception to acceptable in-game levels would be a pain. Otherwise, incoming signal could be way too loud or way too quiet which kills the whole point (monster will be hearing every your sigh or nothing at all).
there would be a range of the amount that they can hear. like, at the quietest, 50db can be heard by the monsters. thats equivalent to a quiet conversation

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Find
LucaP1000 Offline

Threads: 5

I feel like IGEgo came here just for spam?

[Image: classic-76561198012894588.png]
05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Find