Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spanish translation?
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19
RE: Spanish translation?

Kedjane Wrote:Ah, well, I am learning currently Spanish. You're Spanish?

Yup, that's what my ID card says Smile

OneShot Wrote:Hey I got an idea. Instead of putting money into a Spanish translation. Why don't we just put that money into teaching people how to speak English! HURRAY!

Well, that would be a nice but extremely inefficient solution Tongue

EOF
02-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Find
OneShot Offline

Threads: 4

Luis Wrote:
Kedjane Wrote:Ah, well, I am learning currently Spanish. You're Spanish?

Yup, that's what my ID card says Smile

Kedjane Wrote:Hey I got an idea. Instead of putting money into a Spanish translation. Why don't we just put that money into teaching people how to speak English! HURRAY!

Well, that would be a nice but extremely inefficient solution Tongue

I assume a better solution would be teaching people who speak English how to speak Spanish right?

Shopping at Gamersgate is almost the easiest thing in the world. Just follow these instructions:
1. Buy
2. Download (if possible)
3. E-mail support@Gamersgate.com to figure out why your product isn't working!
4. Wait for a representative to respond.
5. Awaiting step 4 to be completed...
02-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Well there gotta still be spanish in the world! I dunno how America films will be otherwise... there is always at least one spanish speaking dude / gal in a film Tongue
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Find
OneShot Offline

Threads: 4

Thomas Wrote:Well there gotta still be Spanish in the world! I dunno how America films will be otherwise... there is always at least one Spanish speaking dude / gal in a film Tongue

Agreed. There has to be Spanish in the countries that were founded with the Spanish language. I'm just outraged at the idea of being made to speak Spanish in America.

Shopping at Gamersgate is almost the easiest thing in the world. Just follow these instructions:
1. Buy
2. Download (if possible)
3. E-mail support@Gamersgate.com to figure out why your product isn't working!
4. Wait for a representative to respond.
5. Awaiting step 4 to be completed...
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Thomas Wrote:Well there gotta still be spanish in the world! I dunno how America films will be otherwise... there is always at least one spanish speaking dude / gal in a film Tongue
Yeah, those are who give the funniest moments in dubbed movies, where everyone speaks spanish, but for some reason they still can't understand each other Tongue
Hilarious.

OneShot Wrote:Agreed. There has to be Spanish in the countries that were founded with the Spanish language. I'm just outraged at the idea of being made to speak Spanish in America.
I still don't know who's trying to force you to speak Spanish here. This thread was started by a spanish-speaking person who asked if a spanish translation was going to be released. I see no harm in that.

EOF
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Find
stea Offline

Threads: 1

Thanks Luis for your replies. We´ll see how it goes in Black Plague! Still, I found Overture´s Spanish quite ok from a "spanish-speaking person" Wink pov. What do you mean by special?
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

stea Wrote:Thanks Luis for your replies. We´ll see how it goes in Black Plague! Still, I found Overture´s Spanish quite ok from a "spanish-speaking person" Wink pov. What do you mean by special?

You're welcome! Smile As for special... well, I just thought some parts felt pretty inaccurate, i.e. not fully delivering the original message at all, but I guess no translation will ever be able to do that. Also, there is some really wrong stuff, like having some parts in sentences still in English (I found at least one), probably caused by having rushed to get it done.

Anyway, it still serves, and those who play the spanish version will know what's going on in the game too Smile

EOF
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Find
stea Offline

Luis Wrote:
stea Wrote:Thanks Luis for your replies. We´ll see how it goes in Black Plague! Still, I found Overture´s Spanish quite ok from a "spanish-speaking person" Wink pov. What do you mean by special?

You're welcome! Smile As for special... well, I just thought some parts felt pretty inaccurate, i.e. not fully delivering the original message at all, but I guess no translation will ever be able to do that. Also, there is some really wrong stuff, like having some parts in sentences still in English (I found at least one), probably caused by having rushed to get it done.

Anyway, it still serves, and those who play the spanish version will know what's going on in the game too Smile

Ok, I know what you mean now. Smile But I think these mistakes might arise in the testing phase, since as far as I know, translators don´t have the game to see everything in context. I agree with you in that no translation will ever be perfect, although it´s possible to achieve a higer level of accuracy if everuthing is carefully planned.

As for the reason for things kept in English, I guess translators don´t forget to translate lines into their language, instead, it could be organization issues when sending stuff to localize.
02-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Hehe, well, going a bit off-topic, I don't think you need a spanish translation to play after all. I mean, you seem pretty fluent Smile

EOF
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Find
stea Offline

Luis Wrote:Hehe, well, going a bit off-topic, I don't think you need a spanish translation to play after all. I mean, you seem pretty fluent Smile

Thanks Smile I actually prefer to play the English versions, but I´m always very picky with the quality of Spanish translations, because it´s not fair we get a worst version of the game Sad
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Find