Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any tips for decorating? + search in level editor?
LulleBulle Offline

Threads: 33
Any tips for decorating? + search in level editor?

Anyone got any tips? Takes years and years to put books in shelves etc which is boring as shit, anyone got any tip for that kind of stuff? Smile

Also can you search in level editor for items somehow? Other than searching in your folder on C:\
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2012, 11:13 PM by LulleBulle.)
05-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
RE: Any tips for decorating? + search in level editor?

A lot of times I decorate about three bookshelves and then duplicate the whole lot and copy them over to the rest, moving a few books on each shelf in variety. You'll have to turn off grid snap, though. Most of the time, though you'll have to be very patient. It's a lot of tedium, but it pays off in the end when you have a great-looking level!

Hit ctrl+f to bring up the search function in Level Editor. It also gives you the option to set the camera on the entity you're searching for, too.

05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

Making books on shelves isn't hard. Takes me about 2 minutes per shelf.

Snap of "Place on objects" or whatever the toggle is that lets you place items directly on objects.

Switch to book_row, place a few, changing their rotations about (it looks so much better when they're not just stacking row by row on top of each other!

Book piles and individual books look good too...remember, variation is your friend. And making rooms look dusty/dirty adds to the horror.

05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

If you want to use bookshelves on different levels (maps), select your bookshelf with everyone and do a File > Export Selection.

Make sure none of the selected are in a Compound Object!

Save the selection somewhere (I prefer to name a folder called Exported in my CS folder)

And do a File > Import Object.
05-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

i use an hour on a bookshelf. it takes time, dude, along with inspiration, an idea, some effort, and a boost of confidence ^^.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2012, 07:55 AM by Mine Turtle.)
05-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(05-23-2012, 07:54 AM)darkadders Wrote: i use an hour on a bookshelf. it takes time, dude, along with inspiration, an idea, some effort, and a boost of confidence ^^.
Don't forget music. Music always helps me when I'm creating a level, especially when I'm doing decorations.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
05-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

It feels weird to call them "decorations", these are abandoned castles and ruined mansions, not a birthday party : /

Anyways, I'm assuming OP wants to know a little bit more about detailing than bookshelves, yes? Each individual mapping set (castle/dungeon/cellar/mansion) has specific things you can add to it to make it look more detailed. For castle/mansion, furniture can be added as a sort of "base" in which to add things from the ornament section on.

If you're going for that broken down/ruined look, think "cause and effect". If your ceiling breaks, there will be a significant amount of debris on the floor, perhaps a few pipes leaking water.

Also for castle/dungeon/cellar base, think "structure", this isn't exactly highly detailed, but logical and very noticeable. If you can add a few support beams to your ceilings/walls, it will keep them looking "busy" instead of boring and empty.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Study the Frictional Games maps in TDD. If you study what looks good with each set, it will do you wonders I can assure you no one on these forums are experienced with HPL2 as the people who created the engine! Eventually you will become a pro at creating a perfect, highly detailed and spooky atmosphere! I could write a novel on this subject and how to do it, but I believe it can't really be taught, its something you have to get a feel for by yourself. Good luck!

I rate it 3 memes.
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Also think realistic and think: If that happened, what would that do to the floor, walls, ceiling, etc.

As andyrockin123 said if you have a hole in the ceiling, then debris and water on the floor.
If a bookshelf has fallen, then books and paper will be on the floor beneath it.
If water has been dripping there may be plants growing

Trying is the first step to success.
05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Find