Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not all Custom Stories show...
Manatim Offline

Threads: 1
Not all Custom Stories show...

Hello everyone.

I'm interested in trying to play with some Custom Stories for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I've ran into an issue. I've used the same installation procedure for 4 different CSs, those being Obscurity, Tenebris Lake, The Attic (full version) and The Greak Work.

I've used the regular method of extracting the compressed files of each CS into their own respective folder, with all 4 folders (one for each CS) being placed inside the Custom Story folder. Then I used the Amnesia ModLoader to detect mods located in this folder. Out of the 4 CSs in the Custom Story folder, only Tenebris Lake was recognised by the ModLoader.

.png   AtDDCSs.png (Size: 182.43 KB / Downloads: 215)

I've looked through installation guides to try and fix this issue, but with no success. I've also seen posts referring to a certain "redist" folder, but I can't find any such name in any of my folders and files.

Could someone help me? I'll provide with as many details as I can provide. Thank you very much for your attention. Happy gaming!
03-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Not all Custom Stories show...

The "redist" is only relevant to users who do not have the game installed through Steam.

One thing that is important to know about Amnesia mods is that there's a difference between a "full conversion mod" and a "custom story".
A custom story (CS) is the most common and the way you play those is by putting them in your "custom_stories" folder as you've done already, BUT you start the game normally and then select the one you wish to play in the "Custom Story" section of the main menu.

A full conversion mod (FC) is more advanced. It offers more features than a custom story, but they have to be launched in a different way. The Amnesia Modloader only recognizes FCs, not CSs. That might be why only Tenebris Lake shows up. FCs are usually installed into their own folder as well, not the "custom_stories" folder. Usually you extract them into your Amnesia root folder, but read the instructions to be sure.

I suggest you start the game normally and see if your downloaded stories show up in the main menu. If they do, they are not FCs.

Another method to make sure what you downloaded is a CS or an FC is to open the folder for it. If there is a file called custom_story_settings.cfg then you have a CS. If there's a "config" folder (with a main_init.cfg file inside), you have an FC.

[Image: 96469f19d36a409a8d98faa16630493e.png]

Mods can be a bit tricky to install though. If you have downloaded an "isolated full conversion mod" (IFC) then it's simply put into the root of Amnesia, but not all FC mods are isolated, which means they may use odd names for folders or have multiple folders you need to extract. The reason for this is simply because there weren't proper guidelines at the time they were made. Other than being messier, FCs work the same as IFCs.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017, 11:51 PM by Mudbill.)
03-19-2017, 11:39 PM
Find
Manatim Offline

Threads: 1

(03-19-2017, 11:39 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I suggest you start the game normally and see if your downloaded stories show up in the main menu. If they do, they are not FCs.

[Image: 96469f19d36a409a8d98faa16630493e.png]

Firstly, thank you very much for the quick reply, I appreciate the feedback.

Interestingly enough, this worked... mostly. The 3 CSs that were missing in the ModLoader show up in-game normally, but Tenebris Lake doesn't.

https://s4.postimg.org/cachp9ka5/At_DDCSs0.png

Basically, the situation inverted completely. For as long as I don't come across a CS that isn't recognised by neither the game nor the ModLoader, this works fine by me for now... Again, thank you very much!
03-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Looks like everything is normal.

A CS will only show up in-game, and an FC will never show up in the game. But FCs will show up in the Modloader.

Only exceptions would be a possible hybrid (will work on both but I've never seen one) and strangely made mods that may not show up in the Modloader either (I've seen 1 case). Those would have to be started with their own .bat file.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2017, 02:13 AM by Mudbill.)
03-20-2017, 02:09 AM
Find