Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux
b0rsuk Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Linux

CoarseSand:

Assuming the devs won't make an exception for you, the best you can do is to sell the windows version and buy yourself the linux one via internet. I think the game is well worth it. Have you tried the demo ?

Played right it looks like a horror movie. I would recommend youtube, but I don't want to spoil the story.
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Find
DSS Offline

Threads: 0

CoarseSand: If you bought it in a store, you may be able to return it to the same store if you tell them (quite truthfully) that it didn't work on your system - they will almost certainly have some kind of returns policy, though many are time limited so I suggest you hurry.
Also, from penumbrablackplague.com:
"...In addition Publisher's site have specific information regarding the Windows version and Developer's site have specific information regarding the Mac & Linux versions...."
The publishers (the people who put it in stores) are only caring about windows, the developers (the people who make such great games) care about all three platforms. If you buy from paradox, you shouldn't expect the same key to work on something purchased from frictional games, because despite it being the "same" game, it's coming from different companies - from an economics point of view this makes perfect (if annoying) sense.

Personally, I am very grateful to the developers for going out of their way to produce a native Linux version, and I hope that other Linux users realise that what they buy in physical stores is not it.
05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Find
Almindor Offline

Threads: 2

jaeger Wrote:Frictional should consider releasing their SDK (for multiple platforms, of course, do NOT exclude the Linux community, we like making content too) so we can download and play custom content while waiting for more official episodes. Smile

This isn't easy. Most commercial game-devs (talking about those who target linux too) make the games in windows and for windows first. This means they make "good" decisions on game-libs (eg: cross-platform) but "bad" decisions on editors, game-content tools etc. (they usually use something completely unportable like MSVC++ with wingui or .NET).

It's usually a mixture of bad decision and familiarity complex. If they used something like Qt or Lazarus they could easily release the tools on other platforms too, but usually they know the windows gui tools better so they stick with it.

Just how I see things as an OSS dev. This isn't a critique per-se just trying to explain it from both sides.
05-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Find