Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How accurate are the physics in Penumbra/Amnesia
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
[Amnesia] The physics are accurate.
48.48%
16 48.48%
[Amnesia] The physics are not very accurate.
6.06%
2 6.06%
[Penumbra] The physics are not very accurate.
12.12%
4 12.12%
[Penumbra] The physics are accurate.
33.33%
11 33.33%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Just how accurate are the physics in Penumbra and in Amnesia?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Just how accurate are the physics in Penumbra and in Amnesia?

I was thinking about it as I played the game. Like when you throw an object against the wall would you get the same result irl? or would I not?

05-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Just how accurate are the physics in Penumbra and in Amnesia?

Do you live on planet Earth? Then you should know the answer; yes they are very accurate.

Quote:I was thinking about it as I played the game. Like when you throw an object against the wall would you get the same result irl? or would I not?

You probably wouldn't; there are too many variables to consider. However objects behave almost exactly like they would in real life, so if you were to recreate the circumstances exactly then you would probably get the same results.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 10:43 AM by Bridge.)
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

For the most part, yes, they were accurate enough to be unnoticeable in the interactions. However they lacked the... 'acceleration' of real life; thrown objects would sort of glide to the ground rather than land with a rapid thud like in real life.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
05-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

Accurate? As compared to what?

Yes, they were mostly accurate, however of course some unrealistic problems do occur.
05-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(05-28-2012, 10:40 AM)Bridge Wrote: Do you live on planet Earth? Then you should know the answer; yes they are very accurate.

I was just curious so I do not know why you felt the need to be sarcastic just because I am trying to learn more about the game.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 08:23 PM by darkely.)
05-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-28-2012, 08:22 PM)darkely Wrote:
(05-28-2012, 10:40 AM)Bridge Wrote: Do you live on planet Earth? Then you should know the answer; yes they are very accurate.

I was just curious so I do not know why you felt the need to be sarcastic just because I am trying to learn more about the game.
I'm sorry, I was just trying to say the effects of gravity on objects and animals on Earth can be observed by everybody. Therefore if a game's physics engine feels natural then it is accurate. If it doesn't and strange things occur (strange things do occur in Penumbra and Amnesia on occasion) then your suspension of disbelief is immediately broken and the inherent inaccuracy is immediately noticeable.

Using deductive reasoning you can conclude that if something behaves like it does in real life, it was programmed that way, because computers cannot do anything by themselves. The only way you can program realistic physics of course is to use the appropriate mathematical equations, so: HPL physics = realistic.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM by Bridge.)
05-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Bridge Wrote:The only way you can program realistic physics of course is to use the appropriate mathematical equations

That is true however the physics are not always accurate in other games... for example...

When driving a car in an open world game each game differs...

GTA 4 - driving physics are fairly realistic hence the reason a lot of users complain about it because it is hard to drive (because of how real it is xD).
Saints Row (mainly the third game) - driving physics are not so good but the it still is fun. All cars in the game are able to stop on a dime and make almost every turn.

Bridge Wrote:Therefore if a game's physics engine feels natural then it is accurate. If it doesn't and strange things occur (strange things do occur in Penumbra and Amnesia on occasion) then your suspension of disbelief is immediately broken and the inherent inaccuracy is immediately noticeable.
An issue I've always had with Amnesia is that the physics in Penumbra are more stable than that of Amnesia. When I first joined here I posted a thread about a mattress blowing up due to the fact that I was unaware that mattresses have a bad habit of doing so in game. My question: why is it that the old engine works better (or at least more stable) then the new one?

Reason for edit: had to revise due to bad English :p

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 01:32 AM by darkely.)
05-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

It might also have to do with what properties the objects have. The physics is somewhat unique for each object becuase you can set its "weight" and "angular" falling speed and stuff.
05-29-2012, 04:49 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

BUMP [filler]

06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

A long time a go, I remember having problems with the mattress in the Penumbra Tech Demo. It would turn intangible, I could see it but I couldn't move it. Turning the valves behind the mattress was difficult since I couldn't see what I was doing, the mattress was blocking my view.

Lesson learned: Stay away from matresses!
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Find