Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Alan wake
Leeeyam Offline

Threads: 22
Alan wake

Trying to avoid spoilers, what did you think of Alan Wake?

I'm thinking about getting it.

05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Alan wake

I recommend playing it if you can accept horrible gameplay in lieu of good storytelling. The first few hours or so are really impressive and it sets up a decent story (though it isn't original, it's pretty much a homage) which is told in a interesting way throughout. If you want a scary game however don't bother, this game has virtually no scares. The only time there was any tension (and the only time the game was fun) was when I ran out of bullets, which is unlikely to happen because of the ridiculous amount of flashlight batteries and ammunition throughout the game.

This is definitely not a horror game, it's basically an action game with a horror premise. If you're into that kind of thing (if you liked RE4) then go for it. However even if you like that kind of gameplay the game really, really overstays its welcome. The combat is so tedious that towards the end of the game I actually skipped most of the encounters (I even skipped a fucking boss battle because I was so bored with the gameplay). There really is no excuse for the repetition, it was just really lazy on the developer's part. They overuse the same scenarios and bosses many times and by the time you're near the end it just gets really saturated and boring.

However as I said the story is quite good and told in a great way which is really interesting. You probably know already but it's set up like a TV show across episodes, complete with a "previously on Alan Wake" and end music on each episode, which is really cool. The graphics are also very, very good and the game has probably the best lighting in any game to date which really has to be experienced by everyone; it's just breathtaking.

So yeah if you like what you hear, pick it up. You certainly won't regret it (I didn't) but you probably won't even want to look at it after its over.
05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Find