Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

TV for gaming.
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
TV for gaming.

Hello everyone!
I'm looking for a 40" TV to connect on my PC for gaming only.
Especially for the new Amnesia!

I played The Dark Descent with my friends 55" TV and the atmosphere was AMAZING, even 100% more immersing than on a normal PC monitor. The horror will work so much more when using a big TV !!!

I actually have a 24" PC monitor, but it's too small for the perfect immersion for games.
So I decided to buy a 40" TV for my comoputer.

The next Amnesia can come! Big Grin

But I red an article about the next technology coming in 2-3 years.
It's the OLED panel for extremely better experiences!
The contrast is over 10.000.000:1 and only 0.01ms response time.
The big difference are the colors, dark scenes are black and not luminously "grey".
You can see the difference here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JaW72aF3...r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCe8TrsPO...r_embedded

What would you do?
Waiting for the new OLED technology or buy a TV now and enjoy the next Amnesia?
The OLED TVs perhaps are really expensive when they're released, should I buy a normal LCD TV ?
I choosed this TV here:

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-UE40ES6300-...772&sr=8-1

Is anyone of you also gaming on a TV and may have some information for me what I should do?
05-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Find
Solitary Walker Offline

Threads: 9
RE: TV for gaming.

Well, cant really say alot about the TV you want since you live in another country and the link you gave is in another language(German is it)? But I can say that I own a 55" TV along with a home theater surround sound system. I havent hooked it up to my computer at all but I do hook up my Xbox 360 and PS3 to that TV using an HDMI cable and the picture is OUTSTANDING. There is such a huge difference between playing with and without an HDMI cable, and seeing how you will be connecting your PC to your TV thru an HDMI cable, Im sure you will get an awesome picture. I would buy a TV now rather then wait becasue when the OLED panel TV's release they will probably be really expensive for the 1st couple months/years. Buy a TV bigger than 101 cm though. 50" minimum. and make sure to get a good surround sound system. When i play games or watch movies i sometimes forget about my surround sound and think the noices in the game/movie are in my house and they scare the shit outa me and IT AINT EVEN A HORROR GAME/MOVIE. Id hate playing a horror game like Amneisa with a surround sound system, id literally shit myself.

Disregard Everything; Acquire Aesthetics
06-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

I think there's already an OLED TV out there but it's expensive as fuck, you could get a pretty good car with that price.
06-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

First things wow... To me a 24" monitor was more than enough for me, and thats not talking about the cost of it either! But the choice is yours isn't it...

I'll check out those OLED's they look like something to look out for soon.

The truth is, TV's are constantly going down in price as new ones are made to be better, and these OLEDS will make the standard LCD or LED TV drop down to near nothing in the future... But yeah, those OLEDS will cost a bomb at first.

Looking at that one from Amazon... It's cheaper than I expected actually. A couple of years ago I bought a 48" (I think) LCD TV Panasonic for around £500 which back then seemed like a good deal.

Looking at the videos, the difference is very clear... But I would still say wait it out for a little longer.

[Image: luv.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2012, 10:59 AM by Wooderson.)
06-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Thank you all for the responses.
I already bought a 46" (116 cm) LED-TV with 400 Hz and all that.
It's the latest Samsung-TV released in march 2012 and I got it for 1.100 €.
You've right, the OLED-TVs will be too expensive and the TV I bought is also really good enough.

Now it is 100% more immersing when playing games!
Thank you, I'll take a picture when I got the TV.
06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

(06-02-2012, 12:05 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Thank you all for the responses.
I already bought a 46" (116 cm) LED-TV with 400 Hz and all that.
It's the latest Samsung-TV released in march 2012 and I got it for 1.100 €.
You've right, the OLED-TVs will be too expensive and the TV I bought is also really good enough.

Now it is 100% more immersing when playing games!
Thank you, I'll take a picture when I got the TV.
In like 5-6 years OLED TV's will be affordable, it was the same thing with widescreen HD TV's etc.
06-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

When I get my new PC, I'll use my HDMI cable on my current 46" TV to play AMFP, and probably some TDD Custom Stories.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

So, I've got the TV now and put it onto my desktop-pc.
Here's a picture.
I know, it's too bright to play Penumbra, but my little weak camera can't make photos in the dark ;.)

[Image: 29gdcl.jpg]
06-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

(06-17-2012, 03:25 PM)Googolplex Wrote: So, I've got the TV now and put it onto my desktop-pc.
Here's a picture.
I know, it's too bright to play Penumbra, but my little weak camera can't make photos in the dark ;.)

[Image: 29gdcl.jpg]
That looks amazing...

*goes back to overpriced crappy laptop*

Hi.
06-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Oh boy another "Look how much money I have guys!" thread...

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2012, 04:35 PM by darkely.)
06-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Find