Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Hotkeys
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
Hotkeys

Why exactly were the hotkeys from Penumbra scrapped in Amnesia? I guess for more immersion, but the inventory system is still there and is obviously a UI. Hotkeying certain items was very convenient and useful I think. Was it simply forgotten or was it a conscious design choice?
05-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Hotkeys

I figure it'd be because there aren't any useable tools in Amnesia while in Penumbra there was the pickaxe, flares, beef jerky etc. that you could constantly get use out of and would be beneficial to have keys for. The items you find in Amnesia are usually just a use once deal and it isn't really necessary to have a hotkey for them.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM by Damascus Rose.)
05-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-30-2012, 08:24 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I figure it'd be because there aren't any useable tools in Amnesia while in Penumbra there was the pickaxe, flares, beef jerky etc. that you could constantly get use out of and would be beneficial to have keys for. The items you find in Amnesia are usually just a use once deal and it isn't really necessary to have a hotkey for them.
Yeah, that's true, but IMO when solving multiple item puzzles it's far more convenient to be able to press number keys instead of opening the inventory and double clicking. Less useful this time around I admit but still, if the functionality was there I question why it needed to be removed.
05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(05-30-2012, 08:24 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I figure it'd be because there aren't any useable tools in Amnesia while in Penumbra there was the pickaxe, flares, beef jerky etc. that you could constantly get use out of and would be beneficial to have keys for. The items you find in Amnesia are usually just a use once deal and it isn't really necessary to have a hotkey for them.
^ That. There's no need for it at all, no items are used repeatedly except for oil, and remembering which items you have hotkeyed to what would be a bitch if the items kept getting replaced all the time.
05-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Well alright, it seems unanimous. I would have liked the option anyway (wouldn't have required any more effort).
(05-30-2012, 08:33 PM)Traggey Wrote: ^ That. There's no need for it at all, no items are used repeatedly except for oil, and remembering which items you have hotkeyed to what would be a bitch if the items kept getting replaced all the time.
It isn't just for items you use often, I used them for all sorts of stuff in Penumbra. Not all of the time (probably not most of the time even) but on occasion; it was always convenient.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 08:59 PM by Bridge.)
05-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Find
CrazyShootin Offline

Threads: 3

Since you have no permanent tools in Amnesia (except for the lantern, that already has a hotkey) it's not really necessary. And also, since the game pauses when you click the inventory in amnesia you can take your time to pick keys etc. In penumbra it kept going.

05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Website Find