Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should these types of maps stay?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
33.33%
16 33.33%
No!
66.67%
32 66.67%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The decline of custom stories.
Pigsareit Offline

Threads: 2
RE: The decline of custom stories.

(06-12-2012, 05:28 PM)Russ Money Wrote: Whenever someone started making custom stories for one person, things went downhill.

Your custom story should never be meant for one person, seriously. Especially if it's going to available for everyone. Okay. Bye.
It depends on why you are making the mod in the first place. If you're doing it because you love putting stuff together and watching people enjoy it then get used to bending to the communities whims and settle in as "decent but not exceptional". Make what you think is cool, listen to advice and complaints and then take it on board when you make what you want to make again. People don't know what they want. They're VERY good at finding out someething is wrong, but they're TERRIBLE at figuring out what it is and how to solve it.

You as the creative person behind this endevour need to take the lead. Trust your expert opinion to hear what they're saying and adjust things the way you think you should to try solve their problems. And if you don't think you should adjust things, ask yourself why. If you don't think you have an expert opinion and are willing to just do what people want you're never going to revolutionize anything.

The one thing the internet has taught everyone is that you're not as unique as you think you might be. If you think it's fun someone else probably will too and there's nothing wrong with serving a niche market. You can't make the games you don't find fun. The true art is figuring out how to make it fun for yourself, and experience is the only way.

My friend told me this when I wasn't confident enough in who I was mapping for in TF2; my friends, my community, or myself. Edited out his name just so he isn't bombarded with invites.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 02:40 AM by Pigsareit.)
06-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Find
Russ Money Offline

Threads: 25

(06-14-2012, 02:32 AM)Pigsareit Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 05:28 PM)Russ Money Wrote: Whenever someone started making custom stories for one person, things went downhill.

Your custom story should never be meant for one person, seriously. Especially if it's going to available for everyone. Okay. Bye.
It depends on why you are making the mod in the first place. If you're doing it because you love putting stuff together and watching people enjoy it then get used to bending to the communities whims and settle in as "decent but not exceptional". Make what you think is cool, listen to advice and complaints and then take it on board when you make what you want to make again. People don't know what they want. They're VERY good at finding out someething is wrong, but they're TERRIBLE at figuring out what it is and how to solve it.

You as the creative person behind this endevour need to take the lead. Trust your expert opinion to hear what they're saying and adjust things the way you think you should to try solve their problems. And if you don't think you should adjust things, ask yourself why. If you don't think you have an expert opinion and are willing to just do what people want you're never going to revolutionize anything.

The one thing the internet has taught everyone is that you're not as unique as you think you might be. If you think it's fun someone else probably will too and there's nothing wrong with serving a niche market. You can't make the games you don't find fun. The true art is figuring out how to make it fun for yourself, and experience is the only way.

My friend told me this when I wasn't confident enough in who I was mapping for in TF2; my friends, my community, or myself. Edited out his name just so he isn't bombarded with invites.
Receiving feedback is probably the best tool you can use. Especially when it's honest opinion and you can accept your flaws.

What I think a lot of what people are talking about here are maps with inside jokes and references that end up being really convoluted and out of place entirely are just plain dumb. Now with my experience on the internet is that there's dumb people and you can't change that fact or them for that matter. Oh well, c'est la vie.

06-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Find
Pigsareit Offline

Threads: 2

(06-14-2012, 05:38 AM)Russ Money Wrote: Receiving feedback is probably the best tool you can use. Especially when it's honest opinion and you can accept your flaws.

What I think a lot of what people are talking about here are maps with inside jokes and references that end up being really convoluted and out of place entirely are just plain dumb. Now with my experience on the internet is that there's dumb people and you can't change that fact or them for that matter. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Oh well, yes. Those types of people appear everywhere in creation. (especially in csConfused mapping) This wasn't entirely directed at you, I'm sure others will stumble on this and read it.

|| Pigsareit - Egan || My YouTube Channel ||
06-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
Information  RE: The decline of custom stories.

(06-03-2012, 06:14 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: PDP even made a site so his "bros" can upload their poorly made maps.
I am a bro, I like Pewdiepie. I also FUCKING HATE THE SHITTY MAPS!!! It's not just useless nonsense; IT'S REPETITIVE USELESS NONSENSE! "Ooooh, the barrels have done this! The knights are doing "Untrustable" things! Ooooh, Imma be original and make the knights block your path!" But I doubt there will be any "Toby Maps" unless he decides to take up a fucking mythos! What we really fucking need is some Lovecraft type maps, shit where the story is built upon all-powerful lords of madness that you're investigating and finding too much about. It would be perfect for the note-finding/flashback aspects of the game! If only I could program! If I could find somebody with programing skills and implicate the atmosphere of stories such as: The Rats In the Walls. Along with the investigative aspects of The Call of Cthulhu, or The Shadow At Innsmouth! Cause I've already developed a bit of a story, and it would be awesome! If anyone is good at programming please consider! Lovecraft horror is heavily implicated in the Campaign and is what helped make the game so great to begin with!
06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Find
Imevil23 Offline

Threads: 23

(06-19-2012, 07:32 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 06:14 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: PDP even made a site so his "bros" can upload their poorly made maps.
I am a bro, I like Pewdiepie. I also FUCKING HATE THE SHITTY MAPS!!! It's not just useless nonsense; IT'S REPETITIVE USELESS NONSENSE! "Ooooh, the barrels have done this! The knights are doing "Untrustable" things! Ooooh, Imma be original and make the knights block your path!" But I doubt there will be any "Toby Maps" unless he decides to take up a fucking mythos! What we really fucking need is some Lovecraft type maps, shit where the story is built upon all-powerful lords of madness that you're investigating and finding too much about. It would be perfect for the note-finding/flashback aspects of the game! If only I could program! If I could find somebody with programing skills and implicate the atmosphere of stories such as: The Rats In the Walls. Along with the investigative aspects of The Call of Cthulhu, or The Shadow At Innsmouth! Cause I've already developed a bit of a story, and it would be awesome! If anyone is good at programming please consider! Lovecraft horror is heavily implicated in the Campaign and is what helped make the game so great to begin with!
I know that feel bro. Jumpscare maps aren't getting any better. In fact, maps like those are what caused me to not record ANY Amnesia videos for like 4 months! But let's look ahead. There's that new Amnesia game coming out this fall! Imagine the custom stories for that one! And some of the new ones coming out look pretty good too.

06-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

@Imevil23 Release date was moved to early 2013
06-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Find
Imevil23 Offline

(06-21-2012, 03:26 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: @Imevil23 Release date was moved to early 2013
Dang. At least I'll have enough Christmas money!

06-21-2012, 03:36 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

(06-03-2012, 07:53 AM)DrPixel Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 07:15 AM)kman Wrote: For fuck's sake YES we GET IT, custom stories aren't as good as they used to be, but to be quite frank the sheer amount of complaining people are doing is getting more annoying than the stories themselves. This is seriously the second thread TODAY addressing this issue, not to mention people that intentionally find every bad story there is just to post about how absolutely terrible of a map it is (I won't name names, but you know who you are). Sure, when I see a story like that I don't necessarily approve of it, but it's not worth the time or effort to comment about how terrible each and every map that's not up to par with the best custom stories out there. If you don't like it, just move onto the next thread, it's really that simple.

Sorry if that came off the wrong way, it's just I've been getting really fed up lately with how much people have been complaining lately.
Bravo good sir, +rep to you. Smile
No really, I gotta agree with you. The people who whine about how "custom stories are dying because of Pewdiepie" or "wow, [insert name here] has a shitty custom story obviously based on Pewdiepie, now we must shun him/her and tell him/her to get off the site" really irritate me far more than one person's lighthearted attempt to make a map for someone they adore. If someone actually goes to the effort of trying to learn how to make a CS then applying that to something they love, well, I say at least they learned something! Really, if you don't enjoy "lower quality" or "fan-made for Pewdiepie" stories, then just don't play them! It's honestly as simple as that and no discussion threads need to be made to complain about them, just let the mod creators do their thing and anyone who likes their CS (or wants to kindly critique it while NOT just blatantly saying they suck!) can talk about it on the thread while those who despise it can remain silent. It takes away all of the hate from this forum and leaves the base playing/creating of custom stories for Amnesia, which obviously anyone who's on this sub-forum likes, so we all have a common appreciation of something at least. Wink

But when I stated this 3-5 months ago I get agro people flaming me, including you kman.

seems legit..... This forum, downhill at fast speeds since 3 months ago

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM by flamez3.)
06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Find
bored2tears Offline

Threads: 6

(06-24-2012, 11:27 AM)flamez3 Wrote: But when I stated this 3-5 months ago I get agro people flaming me, including you kman.

But weren't those in threads that actually gave tips on how to make a custom story? This thread is just complaining about them with not much advice, while the other threads gave actual advice.

(Mind you, I haven't read every single thread, so if it was a thread that was just complaining and you commented on it, ignore this post. :3 )
06-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-24-2012, 04:18 PM)bored2tears Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 11:27 AM)flamez3 Wrote: But when I stated this 3-5 months ago I get agro people flaming me, including you kman.

But weren't those in threads that actually gave tips on how to make a custom story? This thread is just complaining about them with not much advice, while the other threads gave actual advice.

(Mind you, I haven't read every single thread, so if it was a thread that was just complaining and you commented on it, ignore this post. :3 )
Basically this. Those were threads that people made to help people make better custom stories and you came in and started raging all over them because the might have at some point mentioned jumpscares. To be honest, you can't yell at me for whining about those stories months ago because I could have just ignored them, because you could have just as easily ignored all those threads talking about how you could improve your story (since, just like jumpscare stories, some people on this forum actually like them and use them). A bit hypocritical much? You have no right to be complaining to me about that, at least I realized what I was doing and had the balls to admit to it. Though, back on topic, since then people have started making entire threads dedicated to just complaining about those types of stories, they aren't constructive at all (yes this happened some what before, but every other day for a while there would be a new one). Even back then I'd stopped posting in random custom story threads about them being bad because I realized it wasn't too to make a difference, so I just learned to ignore them and move on. Up until a few moths ago every other post I would read would just be about how terrible these stories are and how they're ruining Amnesia, and to be quite honest even I was getting annoyed by it. Was that a little hypocritical to say? Yes, by out of all people I'd think you'd be glad to hear me say that. I took the time to step back and think about what I was saying and I changed my mind on the topic, if you can't except that then I give up.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM by Kman.)
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Website Find