Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Horror games as good as Amnesia?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Horror games as good as Amnesia?

(06-07-2012, 06:52 PM)spukrian Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 11:37 PM)Bridge Wrote: Seems like nobody here has played Thief. I've only seen one other person on this forum mention it.

I've played the Thief games lots of times. And I agree, The Dark Project had some incredibly scary levels. The sequels had less scares, but still had a lot of levels with really creepy atmosphere. With that said, I actually prefer Thief II, because the focus is on stealing instead of on "tomb raiding".
Thief: DS of course had the infamous Cradle level which I actually find scarier than anything in TDP. It's just unfortunate that it has such horrible controls. I tried to replay it a few weeks ago and I just couldn't get into it. But still, that level is just unbelievable.

Also IMO, whether you like Thief I or Thief II is just a matter of preference. Both games are equally great.
06-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Quote:But the Silent Hill series is pretty good. I'd specifically recommend 4, 2, 1, and maybe Homecoming.
I hate to start this pointless discussion again, but you can' be serious about Homecoming, right? Hell, even 4 wasn't so good as 1/2, but Homecoming is just plain horrible. Not even mentioning the fact the game was made not by tam Silent

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
06-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

(06-08-2012, 07:31 AM)Kein Wrote: I hate to start this pointless discussion again, but you can' be serious about Homecoming, right? Hell, even 4 wasn't so good as 1/2, but Homecoming is just plain horrible. Not even mentioning the fact the game was made not by tam Silent
I'm plenty serious. I enjoyed Homecoming a lot. Not as much as some of the original titles. But much more than any other mainstream horror games of its time. I think people are way too quick to dismiss the new Silent Hill games. It's a mindless bandwagon. So, I'm not necessarily saying it's as good as Amnesia, but find it worth mentioning.

As for Silent Hill 4. I think it's the best game in the series. It had a deep story and experimental gameplay that tied in with it perfectly. It had incredibly disturbing art. I find it to have a stronger impact than any other game in the series.

I enjoy Silent Hill 2 a lot, and do think it's brilliant. But at the same time I find it to be overrated. I think the series has already outdone itself once after that title and there is no reason to use it as a comparison point.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(06-07-2012, 08:48 PM)Bridge Wrote: Thief: DS of course had the infamous Cradle level which I actually find scarier than anything in TDP. It's just unfortunate that it has such horrible controls. I tried to replay it a few weeks ago and I just couldn't get into it. But still, that level is just unbelievable.

The controls are indeed quite weird, I remember being annoyed with how Garrett does this semicircle when switching from running forwards to running backwards. But eventually I got used to them.

The Cradle is a scary level, though it doesn't scare me as much as anything in the first game. I got quite creeped out by the Pagan level and the Kurshok level. And those endgame enemies scared me too.

(06-07-2012, 08:48 PM)Bridge Wrote: Also IMO, whether you like Thief I or Thief II is just a matter of preference. Both games are equally great.

Agreed! Thief DS is a great game too, but doesn't really live up to it's predecessors unfortunately.
06-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Find
IsaacJGL Offline

Threads: 3

(06-06-2012, 01:08 AM)kman Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 12:13 AM)Xanthos Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 02:33 PM)kman Wrote: Cry of Fear's good, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Amnesia.

Try SCP-087 though, that's probably on the same level of scary as Amnesia was for me. The other two in that series kind of suck though.
SCP is not even close to Amnesia levels.
You walk down stairs and wait until you hit a monster.
You pretty much walk into scares with knowing it.
No story line, Just stairs and ...
More stairs
...That's not the point of it. Sadly it's been robbed of a lot of fame due to the huge success of the other two SCP games. It works well if you let yourself get immersed in it, and if you do... It works fucking well. Aside from that it actually does use many of the same scare tactics Amnesia does (incredibly limited lighting, ambient noises, more natural scares (as in you're not forced to look at it, but rather just happen to see the scare making it that much more effective)). Going into it with the mentality "wtf how is just walking down stairs for a while scary" is what ruins it for a lot of people. I was literally SHITTING myself the whole way through, just because it makes you so incredibly nervous (that is, if you let yourself get immersed like I said). You don't know what's going to happen when you get to the bottom, you don't know if there even is a bottom, and the whole way through you hear faint screams and other creepy ass noises emanating from below you. The whole point of it is that it eats away at you psychologically, it uses the anticipation of the end to make the rest of it incredibly nerve racking. That whole mindset of monster encounters=scary is what's killing the horror genre in games to be honest.

This is actually why I think the other two fall short, because they don't follow this mindset what so ever. In B there's little to no tension, the first possible monster attack happens about 2-4 minutes in and it's accompanied by ear-shattering loud music and some figure walking up and smacking you. In CB I could barely make it past the first room because I spawned a map with 173 at the start and he's fucking impossible to get by.

All I'm saying is that if after you played it all you could think was "how is walking down stairs scary?" you're missing the point in it.
Yes, soon enough the whole survival horror genre will turn into something like arcade games with horribly made graphics and a thrown together story where you are automatically walking and shooting demons with a pistol while they attack you every 5 seconds.

Paint the lines... cut the man... Paint the lines... cut the man...

06-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(06-05-2012, 01:39 PM)darkadders Wrote: there are a few short flash games out there too:

-Exmortis 1

-Exmortis 2

-Exmortis 3 (you need to pay, unless you wanna play a trial without any events at all)

there are also a few you can download:

-Hide

-Which

and lots other; but most of them have either guns or some other form of defense
I played Hide, and it's pretty freaky. Kinda proves you don't need good graphics, a story, or anything that makes relative sense to freak the fuck out of people. It seems to be that "anti-comfort zone" game where you're always nervous. I think the scariest part is the fact that you can't quit. (At least for me.) I think in some ways that game is scarier than Amnesia cause you just don't want to play it again.
06-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

Check out Anna, i belive it's based on how Amnesia works but it is it's own game.

There's a trailer for it.

Hi.
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Website Find
shahar Offline

Threads: 0

play ‎Blackwell:asulym!!! this game creepy as amnesia,and the best thing you can do is hide anywhere you want (very panic!!!) try it on steam!!!
06-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Find
Asablief Offline

Threads: 2

If you loved the atmosphere and immersion, I would suggest Dear Esther. It's not very scary, but if you have the taste for it, you can almost feel the wind and the grass, as if you were really there.
06-24-2012, 02:33 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

I agree with the posts mentioning Vampire: Bloodlines, the Thief Series and Metro 2033, although none of these is really trying to be a 100% horror game, they are all great in terms of creepy atmosphere. I've also heard a lot of good things about Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth, but I haven't played it myself yet.
06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Find