Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[WIP][Story complete]Retracing memories
madifier Offline

Threads: 3
[WIP][Story complete]Retracing memories

Link to story is toward the bottom of this first post. As well as some changes made. Most of this post is just me keeping you guys informed this past year+.

I thought I'd start a thread to add updates to as I work on my custom story.
My hope is that by posting this, I'll be more inclined to work harder on this project. I hesitate to even post this as I don't want to abandon it mid way through, but I have nothing else of interest right now.

*Retracing memories is the name of the story. You will be wandering this world in search of WHO you are and WHAT you were doing to know WHERE you need to go.
*There will be multiple endings. like 14 or 15 I think.
*I'm doing this for fun with the only thing in mind of receiving is attention. So anyone able to contribute will only be able to receive credit for the work they do.

Progress Report:
*I'm really happy about the couple areas I've put together thus far, but I have a long way to go.
*My aim is for a free roam map of about 150 areas. Yes it's a big project, and I'm having fun working on it. Much of the world is in fact outdoors, I'm aware that Amnesia wasn't designed for such, but that's what I"m gonna do.
*It'll probably be sometime 2013 before I'm done since I'm spending what little free time I have on it between 40-50 hour work weeks. Not to mention fighting the programs that I'm using to build it.
*The story itself is pretty well laid out, with ending scenes still needing to be made.
*I'm using a layout that many people are probably familiar with which will help the player, but I'm madifying it a bit to make things interesting. Wouldn't want it to be a direct copy.

Things I could use, but not just yet:
*Entities: For now I'm placing the generic Amnesia models, enemies, misc in my maps as place holders until I can get some custom models. I have in mind a few enemies I'd like in the game, but I'll only disclose that via PM. It wouldn't be much fun if I posted what was to be expected.
*Voice actors: I won't worry about this until the end of the project. I can safely say there are at least 4 people that speak at the end of the game. Two older men, a young woman, and a deep voice male. I say at least 4, because I haven't decided if I should use text or voice for the multiple endings.
*Music: The only time you'll hear music is in man-made areas such as taverns, castles or places of entertainment such as a group of bandits who have instruments to play. Most of the game is sound effect driven. There are a couple of endings that will need music as well.

Further text are changes made after July 8, 2012 which is also after 17 posts to this thread.
This post being edited is an attempt to update the thread without bumping. Hopefully.

Worked on 3 maps this week all involving the east coast shoreline which wraps around the forbidden woods. Hopefully the forbidden woods will be done this coming week. My next update will unfortunately be the end of the month, as I will be on vacation and will not have access to my computer for two weeks. I feel the withdrawl already.

July 29, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 43 out of approx 130
Maps (outdoor) completed: 0
Maps (indoor) started: 0 out of approx 15
Maps (indoor) completed: 0 out of approx 15

Ending Scenes scripted (rough draft and happy with them): 6 out of approx 16
Ending Scenes finalized: 0
Background stories scripted (aka, notes): 3

Aug 5, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 48 out of approx 130

Been looking for a few artists to paint the ending scenes. For now I've asked my sister to do some sketches to get an idea of what seems most appealing. Also noted, 5 desert maps have been started.

Not gonna lie, I've been a bit distracted with the Tekkit version of Minecraft. I play with a few friends to satisfy my social life and I'm learning the programming side of the computer craft to see what it has to offer and how I can bend it to my will (yeah right). All things considering, if I spent ALL my time on one thing I may burn out on it. The results will tell in time. See ya next week.

Aug 12, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 52 out of approx 130

One last area of the forbidden woods has yet to be finished, but that spot is the laboratory which must wait until I work on the laboratory itself. probably start on the forest of the lost, which is the third and final forested area before I start tackling the cliffs, mountainous, and caverns. Not really looking forward to it, but I have made up my mind to do so.

Aug 21, 2012 Sorry about the delay. I lost connection to my ISP for a couple days.
Maps (outdoor) started: 58 out of approx 130

Made a quick run of my maps in game, I have a few places that need repair since nobody wants to see a sky box through the ground. Also gonna need more trees in places, but other than that it's looking alright. However a completed map consists of { decorations, unique features, creatures, sounds } that sort of thing. lots to do. lots to do.

Aug 26, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 64 out of approx 130

Halfway done with laying out the outside area.
I wonder how much grief I'm gonna get when people see how rough everything looks. Then again that may play well toward the classic feel of THIS world.

Sept 2, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 66 out of approx 130

Sept 9, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 68 out of approx 130
Maps (indoor) started: 1 out of approx 15

Thought I'd take a break from outside and try building an indoor area. The overall shape is easy to layout, but determining what each room should be is going to be the trick. Not to mention what kind of stuff is going to be laying around. I want each place to have a theme if-you-will. Although one human is going to have roughly the same survival stuff as another, the interest of one person is different from another.

Sept 16, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 70 out of approx 130
Maps (indoor) started: 1 out of approx 15: (worked on a few rooms of Laboratory)

I think decorating these rooms is going to take a lot of mental effort. I knew the first indoor area would take a while, but once I get it under control, all the other indoor areas will go up pretty quick.

Been having some life issues recently. Also been wondering if this is going to be worth it in the end. However, the view count continues to grow which gives me encouragement. Seems like people are moving from Amnesia to Slenderman as of late.

Sept 23, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 74 out of approx 130

The bulk of "Forrest of the Lost" has been laid out, still have a couple left to do, then it's off to the "Cavern of the Dead" which leads up the mountains. Should be pretty simple, with the exception of being underground. Hope you guys don't mind me using the same two rocks repeatedly. Don't worry, I may be using the same simple models, but there are hundreds of ways to resize and rotate them for unique looks.

Sept 30, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 76 out of approx 130

I managed to come out of Tekkit, but I've started working on an old project I wish I could finish up. Either way, I'm still plugging away at my custom story.

Oct 7, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 78 out of approx 130

Oct 14, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 80 out of approx 130

Oct 21, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 82 out of approx 130

haven't decided if I want to keep the original layout of the buildings or if I should alter them a bit. It is in fact a tribute to an old game, but I'd like to make it a bit realistic as well.

No update this week. Time got away from me and life is being a pain.
Nov 4, 2012
Maps (outdoor) started: 89 out of approx 130
Maps (indoor) started: 4 out of approx 15 ( worked on 3 places. Two abandoned islands and the prison )

Gonna level with you guys, I'm going to take a break for a while. I thought I'd spend today really getting a jump on lost progress to compensate for that. Although I haven't shown you guys anything, it's been interesting seeing the view count continue to rise. I don't know if that's curiosity of new people or maybe I have some followers. Either way, I'm doing my best to keep you informed. Thanks guys. In a couple months my finances will open up a bit and maybe I can invest in some people's skills to help me out. I don't have a clue what the going rate is for modelers, but I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

The first model I'd probably look for is a "Witch's Carriage". An abandoned tattered carriage that once was a portable potion stall. No horse, no witch, just some of the bottles remain with strange symbols on them. The old hag would have lived out of it while she traveled around, much like the merchants of older times.

See you in a month or so, Sunday as always.

Dec 2, 2012
Maps (indoor) started: 5 out of approx 15 ( worked on 1 place. Mountain Temple )

Had a friend of mine wander through the Laboratory; got some ideas on how to make it better and problems to work out. That's pretty typical with early stages of development. For now everything is just a layout. Started playing with Blender, so maybe I can add some unique things to the game. Here's hoping.

Dec 9, 2012
Maps (indoor) started: 6 out of approx 15 ( worked on 1 place. Sanctuary )

Blender is going to be quite the challenge. Useful, but intense to learn.

Dec 16, 2012
Maps (indoor) started: 6 out of approx 15

Technical difficulties:
Having a devil of a time with the .dae export. I export my mesh with texture and I see the test.dae and test.msh in my folder, but when I import the test.dae into the model editor, either nothing happens or an invisible cube shows up. Wait, something happened this time, a pink cube showed up with menu bar icons on it.... That ain't right. I move my mouse to the window title bar and the texture changed to randomly spaced white brick shapes all over the cube....(insert long pause since my brain just crashed). I've looked up 10-20 tutorials, followed them with a fine tooth comb, and still malfunctions occur. I don't know, just frustrated at the moment.

blender 2.63
windows 7 64bit
python 2.5.4 and python 2.6.5, not sure which I'm referring to.
I haven't noticed any errors to speak of.

Game Updates:
The mesh I'm currently building is in fact the terrain of the world. No more traveling along flat planes and no more using over scaled rocks to simulate walls and cliffs. With a bit of luck, the caverns I had in mind will look nicer as well. Once the overall "world" is set up, the sections will be divided out between individual maps. That's the plan.

Had a buddy of mine run through what little I've put together while giving him verbal descriptions of what he would see if they were there. Took about an hour or so before he realized WHERE he was and was ecstatic about what I was doing. At my current rate, I said it'd be 2013 before it'd be done, and I'm still hoping for this year, but that could change.

Dec 25, 2012
Maps (indoor) started: 6 out of approx 15

Merry Christmas guys. Sorry I couldn't bring you guys anything this year, but perhaps next time. Spent 3 hours straight fighting the blender to level editor conversion and may have had success. See you guys next week.

Dec 31, 2012

Not a whole lot accomplished this week, but that's to be expected I suppose. Still fighting Blender to Editor conversion. I did go back through some of the notes and scenes I made up and revised a bit since they were first drafts and all. I'll probably go through and give them more detail at some point. Here's to a New Year.

Jan 06, 2013

The festivities are over at last. Been running through a couple Blender tutorials, as well as working on other projects. I had some success importing a basic object, but I'm having trouble with something a bit more complex. I'll make something work if all else fails. I may also need to focus on my job at the moment because of potential layoffs. Here's hoping for the best.

Jan 20, 2013

Sorry about the delay. After my previous few edits of this thread I've decided not to update again until I've actually made some GOOD progress. Still dealing with the conversion from Blender to Amnesia, as well as being side tracked by other things. I don't know when the next update will be, but I will have the entirety of the outside terrain done. It amazes me how one little problem can be such a stumbling block. And when it breaks, it's all down hill from there... mostly. Take care guys.

Mar 17, 2013
Long time no see. Thought I'd let you know I'm still alive. I will be updating soon. However, it may not be what you were expecting. See you soon.

July 3, 2013
Story has been completed and is undergoing story bug testing from a few people on my facebook profile. It saddens me that I lack the skill to bring you a game, but I will not leave you guys high and dry. I WILL bring you a story once it has been refined and filtered of holes.... 99%.... yeah. My open office word document says it's 85 pages long. Some of that is space between pages to separate sections, some are copy and paste elements like enemy description, but good grief there is a lot of material. Again the story is located in my facebook notes section, but I'm uncertain if I can post a link. Will touch base soon.

July 28, 2013
I did a Google search for "Retracing Memories" and I found someone had copied my post to another forum. I'm severely irritated about it, but it wasn't unexpected either. This thread and my facebook page are the only places you'll find information on my story.

As promised, here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/notes/matthew-d...2596703647

I couldn't fit everything into one note, so I divided it up. Links are provided to navigate between notes. If you want to comment about the story, do so on facebook please. I will be sending an email to a guy at nintendo, to let him know what I've done. I've also invited Russ_money to have a read, but I haven't heard back. I've spent more than a year on this project, so you can probably imagine I'm both anxious and nervous about feedback. A big thanks to Frictional Games. I hope you enjoy it. Before you leave the story totally, please look at the credits note; you'll find spoilers there.

July 30, 2013
Opps. Sigh, as usual I find things unexpected. My note is public, but you have to have a facebook account to see it. Everyone has facebook these days right? probably not. I'll look for another viewing option for those that don't want it. Just my luck. I won't be able to tell if people have looked at it either unless they hit the "like" button.

Aug 28, 2013
Okay, I think Kindle may be the way to go. I will be leaving my story on my facebook profile, but I'm currently making changes to the format of my story making it an interactive book, adding some details here and there, and fixing errors that I see. Once it's on Kindle, that's probably going to be it for me.

Sept 15, 2013
Nearly done converting it to an interactive story that's easier to read. I thought about adding just a little bit more to it, but we'll see how that plays out. With my luck it won't upload to Kindle properly.

Success at last. Kindle was going to charge people to download, so screw that. They also converted my pdf to an html document which tore up my story into tiny pieces and threw them back together with sticky tape. Google search lead me to scribd.com

Here is a link to my story in the style of a book. FREE TO READ.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/168443456/Retracing-Memories

I've been finding mistakes every great once in a while, so I apologize for the errors and will correct once they are found.

Seems like every time I turn around the level editor, the material thing,
or whatever, something either doesn't load right or crashes spontaneously.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 02:49 AM by madifier.)
06-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Find
madifier Offline

RE: [A CS]Retracing memories

Progress:
Been working on a template design for the outdoor environments which is coming along nicely. I know that I still need to add enemy path nodes to the template, this way I can just import the path nodes into each area and make position changes rather than waste time.
Did quite a bit of decorating to four areas: Quarry, Soldier's District, Castle, and Market District.

Thoughts:
The Market District I might design to be a model showcase area, so a given number of modelers would be given a stall to have some of their work put on display. Maybe.

Next update may be next weekend.

06-11-2012, 02:54 AM
Find
madifier Offline

(06-11-2012, 07:02 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 11:13 PM)madifier Wrote: Progress Report:
*I'm really happy about the couple areas I've put together thus far, but I have a long way to go.
*My aim is for a free roam map of about 150 areas. Yes it's a big project, and I'm having fun working on it. Much of the world is in fact outdoors, I'm aware that Amnesia wasn't designed for such, but that's what I"m gonna do.
*It'll probably be sometime 2013 before I'm done since I'm spending what little free time I have on it between 40-50 hour work weeks. Not to mention fighting the programs that I'm using to build it.
Now, as I'm developing a huge sandbox/free roaming map aswell, outdoors as well, I must say that having just one map is impossible, you will need multiple maps that are gigantic, ignoring the kind of system you'd need to run such an area, you'd also have to script hundreds, possibly thousands of event using one .hps file which means that it would be messy, bug searching etc would be incredibly difficult. 2013 would be the minimum. I don't mean to put you off it but why not have 5/6 free roam maps, all big? Seriously, it's stupid to try just one. I tried, I failed. I'm not saying that's guaranteeing you will but..
One map? I said I'm putting together 150+ map areas, yes players will be seeing loading screens a lot, but if done right they won't mind. I also wrote a c++ program that will copy universal functions I make, which will apply to all of my maps, in conjunction with unique functions built for specific areas.

06-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118

15 endings? Wow I thought I was being ambitious with four Tongue

06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

150+ maps? Thats a crazy amount dude, you should be able to cut that down massively with clever use of fog for occlusion culling. If its going to be really free-form, as in the player might not see all of the 150+ maps and get to the 15 endings sooner that makes more sense, but bear in mind that if your expecting the player to go through that much content, its gotta be damn good and damn varied content to keep the player interested.

Out of interest, cause it does sound interesting, how long are you expecting a play-through of this to last?
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

The saying "quality over quantity" comes to mind. Even the smallest map (which would be a few rooms+halls) should take (a minimum of) ~5-10 hours of work. Anything less than that and it will most likely not be very detailed or interesting. That's not taking scripting into consideration.

If you do plan to take your time with 150+ maps, it would take about 750 hours with many small maps, which is about a month (keep in mind that's a month worth of your free time to put towards this, realistically that could be up to a year or two.) If you plan on having large maps, double that.

Honestly, I feel very skeptical about this. I feel that it will either never be finished, or finished with low quality. I hope you can prove me wrong, I'm tired of boring / poorly detailed custom stories Tongue

I rate it 3 memes.
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Find
madifier Offline

(06-12-2012, 12:08 AM)Damascus Wrote: 15 endings? Wow I thought I was being ambitious with four Tongue
I never was one to think small. Big Grin
For the most part, the game content remains the same and the boss battle will be the same, but the choice of ending is going to be mainly personal preference.

(06-12-2012, 11:12 AM)Adrianis Wrote: 150+ maps? Thats a crazy amount dude, you should be able to cut that down massively with clever use of fog for occlusion culling. If its going to be really free-form, as in the player might not see all of the 150+ maps and get to the 15 endings sooner that makes more sense, but bear in mind that if your expecting the player to go through that much content, its gotta be damn good and damn varied content to keep the player interested.

Out of interest, cause it does sound interesting, how long are you expecting a play-through of this to last?
Some of the areas may not be visited at all, but I find them necessary so it's okay. What I might do is place special easter egg items that aren't game relevant in these areas just for kicks. However, take like my forest area for example: it'll be 6 areas large I think, and perhaps there won't be much in them that's overly unique except for tree placement, but I believe it'll have an effect on the player giving a sense of a forest being larger than it actually is. A trip to town wasn't exactly a walk down the street in the dark ages. They might even get lost if they are not careful, which adds to the fear of something is going to eat them if they don't get out quickly.
For the time being I'm setting everything up in a rough sketch if you will, then going back through and decorating them.

Time to beat? I'm not exactly sure. I'm hoping for a few hours at the very least IF you know where everything is (which I bet many gamers probably will once they figure out what game they are playing. that's my secret). And that'll be a straight run through without puzzles in the mix. I will say that your "retracing" your steps, so in essence where you think there should something to do, is perhaps already done. There will be some places where doors reseal with a simple puzzle, but nothing drastic.

One last thing, if I can't get some unique models thrown into the game, it will probably be dull just seeing all the Amnesia content recycled unfortunately. I will do my best regardless.

(06-12-2012, 01:55 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: The saying "quality over quantity" comes to mind. Even the smallest map (which would be a few rooms+halls) should take (a minimum of) ~5-10 hours of work. Anything less than that and it will most likely not be very detailed or interesting. That's not taking scripting into consideration.

If you do plan to take your time with 150+ maps, it would take about 750 hours with many small maps, which is about a month (keep in mind that's a month worth of your free time to put towards this, realistically that could be up to a year or two.) If you plan on having large maps, double that.

Honestly, I feel very skeptical about this. I feel that it will either never be finished, or finished with low quality. I hope you can prove me wrong, I'm tired of boring / poorly detailed custom stories Tongue
No question on the mathematic calculation of how long it's going to take. And you wanna know the bad part? I lean toward perfectionist. So if I'm not happy with my quality, I spend even MORE time yelling at my computer LOL.
I hear ya on the bored part. I use to play a lot of games growing up, then the quality of them just fell through the ground in the past few years. I don't even bother walking through a game store anymore. It's all been done before.
I will do my best, if nothing else but to place on my wall as a trophy of accomplishment.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2012, 12:35 AM by madifier.)
06-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Hmmm ok, is that 'retracing your steps' going to involve going back over the 150+ maps, or that some of those 150+ maps will effectively be the player retracing their steps? I get that realism is important, but 6 straight maps just going through a forest is the kind of realism that should be avoided, or at least the kind of situation that should be avoided if realism is important to you. You may find later on that it will be of benefit overall to the story (though of course, I don't know your story) and gameplay to cut down and refine the number of maps you include, to improve the quality of the ones that stay

Still, best of luck regardless mate, I sincerely hope you pull it off, 150 maps and 15 endings would be an impressive achievement if only for the sheer quantity of content. I have respect for your balls Tongue
06-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Find
madifier Offline

(06-13-2012, 09:33 AM)Adrianis Wrote: Hmmm ok, is that 'retracing your steps' going to involve going back over the 150+ maps, or that some of those 150+ maps will effectively be the player retracing their steps? I get that realism is important, but 6 straight maps just going through a forest is the kind of realism that should be avoided, or at least the kind of situation that should be avoided if realism is important to you. You may find later on that it will be of benefit overall to the story (though of course, I don't know your story) and gameplay to cut down and refine the number of maps you include, to improve the quality of the ones that stay

Still, best of luck regardless mate, I sincerely hope you pull it off, 150 maps and 15 endings would be an impressive achievement if only for the sheer quantity of content. I have respect for your balls Tongue
I can clarify a bit. It's always easier for me to answer a question directly. The sheer size of the map gives players the freedom of which way to go, so they are not necessarily going back the way they came, but familiar territory might be more relaxing. The character has memory flashbacks at key places, but not in every area. It's not really important HOW you got there, but WHAT happened at the place. 150 seems high, but in reality there are about 10 key places/objects and maybe 10-20 sub key places/objects, with extra content everywhere else. My numbers are going to be slightly off as I'm still early in development. I want this to be big, so players can enjoy the environment rather than run through. Of course should one linger too long they might draw attention. Big Grin

The 6 forest areas setup that I was talking about are set up in a 3x2 or 2x3 grid setup, so traveling straight through may be 2 loading areas or 3 given the direction, but because of multiple entrances and exits in each section, a player may end up going back on themselves by accident without realizing it. I can imagine the relief a person will have after making it out of the woods alive for what seemed like a while, when in fact it's a lot smaller than they thought. You wouldn't think a person could get lost in a corn field of straight rows, but it happens enough for farmers to teach their children as soon as possible.

Thank you guys for all the great comments.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 02:07 AM by madifier.)
06-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Find
madifier Offline

RE: [WIP]Retracing memories

Recap:
*Retracing memories is the name of the story. You will be wandering this world in search of WHO you are and WHAT you were doing to know WHERE you need to go. This should be simple enough to figure out, so much of your time will be spent looking at all the scenery.
*There will be multiple endings. like 14 or 15 I still haven't taken the time to count. All of them are a matter of personal preference.
*The world is massive and yet not, so you have options as to how you get from point A to point B and for the most part you can either backtrack or go through unexplored areas.
*I'm doing this for fun with the only thing in mind of receiving is attention. So anyone able to contribute will only be able to receive credit for the work they do. I"m sorry for being poor, but that's life.
*It'll probably be sometime 2013 before I'm done since I'm spending what little free time I have on it between 40-50 hour work weeks. Not to mention fighting the programs that I'm using to build it. The more I work, the easier it's getting.
*The story itself is pretty well laid out, with ending scenes still needing to be made.

Progress Report: (probably make these regularly on Sundays)
*Took a couple days to make the first forest area, but afterwards the next 3 sections went up pretty fast which laid out the "Woodlands" area. There will be 3 forests "Woodlands" (easy), "Forest of the Lost" (you guys are gonna hate me XD), "Forbidden Woods" (most dangerous). I have a problem though, I'm using the same model tree for everything. I would like a variety if I can, but it's not the end of the world either.
*Other map areas I've worked on and am pretty happy with are "East District", "West District", "Docks", "Ranch", and "Southern Valley", so in total this week I've laid out 9 areas.
*"East District" is still gonna need a bit of work. It's an industrial part of town where raw materials would go and basic products would come out. Example is a tree would go in and planks come out. So a lumberyard will most likely be here. The area is known for the transfer of goods on land, meaning the demand for carts are high, and thus built here next to the lumberyard. I don't know what else to build.

Things I could use, but not just yet:
*Entities: For now I'm placing the generic Amnesia models, enemies, misc in my maps as place holders until I can get some custom models. I have in mind a few enemies I'd like in the game, but I'll only disclose that via PM. It wouldn't be much fun if I posted what was to be expected.
*Voice actors: I won't worry about this until the end of the project. Might try to bum some locals for this one. I can safely say there are at least 4 people that speak at the end of the game. Two older men, a young woman, and a deep voice male. I say at least 4, because I haven't decided if I should use text or voice for the multiple endings.
*Music: The only time you'll hear music is in man-made areas such as taverns, castles or places of entertainment such as a group of bandits who have instruments to play. Most of the game is sound effect driven. There are a couple of endings that will need music as well.

06-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Find