Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[HELP] No Inspiration To Work!
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43
[HELP] No Inspiration To Work!

I am curious as to know what some of you do when you have no inspiration. Whether it's scripting, mapping, modelling, even drawing/painting, it doesn't matter. Is there something specific you do to help, or do you just give up for the day?
I open my Level Editor and have experienced having absolutely no inspiration, just staring at the screen, thinking really hard. I have 15+ levels all hanging around, each un-finished. When I am inspired, I can achieve great things. But the inspiration fades so quickly and is difficult to bring back. (pity party initiated)
I try hard not to give up, and end up designing some level with no story. I can get close, but not close enough. Eventually I come to a point where I have no idea what I'm doing, and think I can toss in a story later but it really is more difficult than it looks..
I really need something or someone to get me inspired to work on this. Any links to 'story idea' websites are appreciated. I need serious help. :<

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
06-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: [HELP] No Inspiration To Work!

I link to you the very link founded in your signature and quote to you: "But when it comes to love I have a lot to say."

Is that true or false? Telling you what motivates me i will find to be irrelevant when directed to you. Therefore, i question, do you or do you not have a lot to say about love? Just because Amnesia is known for horror doesn't mean the custom stories created must likewise be of horror. Though, this is not to say a love story cannot end horrifically.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Website Find
kartanonperuna Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 44

Get inspiration by going outside or watch movies, play other games, or something.I just continue on with my life and eventually some idea pops up in my head.

Voice actor

Painful shadows

06-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Website Find
Bunnypoppop Offline

Threads: 1

WORK ON IT! GOOOOOO!

A small boy was intrigued by a strange house that nobody goes near. He asked his mum and she said not to ever go near the house. The boy, being young and male, decided to go to the house on his way home from school, and madness ensue...

How's that for a little starter?

"War doesn't determine who is right - only who is left"

Voice Actor
06-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(06-12-2012, 11:09 PM)Your Computer Wrote: I link to you the very link founded in your signature and quote to you: "But when it comes to love I have a lot to say."

Is that true or false? Telling you what motivates me i will find to be irrelevant when directed to you. Therefore, i question, do you or do you not have a lot to say about love? Just because Amnesia is known for horror doesn't mean the custom stories created must likewise be of horror. Though, this is not to say a love story cannot end horrifically.
I can agree to these wise words. I love horror mods but if love is a story you can weave beautifully, I would be quite intrigued to play it. If you are so good to bring about emotions in writing, let these emotions come to life in front of you.

Put what you do best into your work and you'll soon come to love what you do. I was told a saying once that I will always remember.

"Do what you love for a living, and you will never work a day in your life."
06-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

^
Some good reading by above posters.

A little rant (no facts, just thoughts):
I find things extra entriguing when my imagination may run wild without borders. A child may find beauty/interest in the simplest of things in the world, due to the non-existing borders which encloses reality from fiction. When I was being a young child and arrived at a new area, I was often astounded. Upon reminiscing I remember them as almost magical, but I have noticed that when visiting them today they are far from magical at all. It's because I was discovering/learning uncharted territory, as if sailing on a flat world until you arrive at the border.

With the above in mind, I try to come up with things which I want to explore. Things which lets my imagination run wild, without knowledge of any borders. An amnesia modding example:

If I have a set of ideas for areas or maps I want to create; I pick the weirdest/most unique one. Why? Because every idea which follows is a new "uncharted" idea, yet to be explored.

I am currently making a "Russian worn-down spacestation in another dimension, which you are transported to through string-theory."

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2012, 11:55 PM by Acies.)
06-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Find
bagobonez Offline

Threads: 11

I recently just hit "writer's block" as well and started to seriously question if I would even finish my CS. So I stopped worrying about it for like 2 weeks, then when I opened up the level editor again, I just started building away and all kinds of ideas started coming.
06-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Umm, don't to do anything for a couple of weeks, Amnesia related. Come back later when you have completely forgotten about Amensia, that might help you feel excited and pumped to do something. (I'm serious)
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2012, 11:59 PM by Rapture.)
06-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

I have to say, what YourComputer said got my brain wheels turning. I would love to create a love story, (is it the first ever created?) but there are lots of cons/set backs I can think of.
  1. Models. I can't work with such 'horror-fied' entities and walls. I usually write my stories in the modern era. If I want to put a vase of roses on the table, well, Amnesia doesn't have that available. Plus I can't model to save my life, though if I could, I'd already be working on this project.
  2. Who would want to play a love story in Amnesia? Some would think it was silly. (besides Statyk)
  3. People. It'd be hard to pull off, but I could manage a story without the use of other people models. I wouldn't want the player to have to pretend he's talking to his wife.
As I write this, I can honestly say there are many ideas rushing through my brain, incorporating love with horror. If I do pull this off, I'll be sure to dedicate it to you guys. Thank you, I don't know why I see some people complain that the users on here don't help. You all help tremendously! :>

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
06-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Find
kartanonperuna Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 44

Propably because youre a chick.

Voice actor

Painful shadows

06-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Website Find