Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The End" - Music Project - Thoughts?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: "The End" - Music Project - Thoughts?

(06-16-2012, 09:53 PM)nackidno Wrote: Bridge, a musician make music for other people to listen to and if he want people to give him feedback on what is he is doing to make sure he's on the right path is all but bad, wrong, or half-arsed. It's actually a very good thing, it shows that he cares enough about his art to let people hear it and voice their opinions, and whether it's just a "skeleton of a theme" doesn't matter, as long as it's well presented and serious (which he is) then I don't understand the problem.

I kinda like the simplicity of it and I personally think it sounds very interesting and there are tons of ways you can spice this thing up. But I have to say though, that although your variation was kinda nice, it destroyed the feel of the piece and you made it jazzy which was pointless and unneeded.
1. Well that's your opinion. If you believe in it then power to you, but I don't, so I suppose we're at an impasse.

2. Well if you like how simple it is then again, power to you. I'm into music that creates interesting textures to experience and pushes the boundaries (even if only slightly). I don't like derivative music and I don't like uninspired simplicity. Also the variation I wrote served no real purpose other than to illustrate one of the infinite possible directions you could take the piece in by expanding on the harmony and rhythm. I know it destroyed the feel; not much work was put into it. But it was more detailed harmonically and rhythmically which is never a bad thing (and it can be done without destroying the feel; quite easily in fact). Compare:

and

06-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Who are you to say that it's uninspired? You might not think it's interesting but that doesn't mean it's uninspired and bland, quite the contrary, it got good dynamics and a flow that is interesting and a lot of things can be done with it (unlike your previous comment that states that the piece has hardly anything to work with, which is objectively untrue).

I personally listen and create music for the feeling and harmony of combined notes and sounds, and not necessarily for the purpose to impress, which is inartistic to the core. And based on my preference, I think the below linked video is overplayed, cluttered, has a lack of feeling and the dynamics from the above linked video is all gone which is a shame.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-16-2012, 10:24 PM)nackidno Wrote: Who are you to say that it's uninspired? You might not think it's interesting but that doesn't mean it's uninspired and bland, quite the contrary, it got good dynamics and a flow that is interesting and a lot of things can be done with it (unlike your previous comment that states that the piece has hardly anything to work with, which is objectively untrue).

I personally listen and create music for the feeling and harmony of combined notes and sounds, and not necessarily for the purpose to impress, which is inartistic to the core. And based on my preference, I think the below linked video is overplayed, cluttered, has a lack of feeling and the dynamics from the above linked video is all gone which is a shame.
Well alright, that's where we disagree and I guess there's nothing that can be done about that. As always, different strokes for different folks. Nice job on spotting the contradiction there by the way (though I often am a contradictory person and proud). What I meant to say was the theme is so vague and static (in my opinion) that on its own it does not really have any specific direction, so I in fact should have said there is too much to work with. Taking only some minor liberties transformed it into a totally different piece.

Also, why do I say it's uninspired? Because I've heard things similar to it many times before. That's not a quality I generally appreciate in music. I'm no one to say it's bad because of it, but it certainly is reminiscent, don't you think? If you don't, then I eat my words.
06-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Find
Mathiasz Offline

Threads: 2

Okay okay, guys.
I didn't create this thread to start a huge discussion.

I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions I've gotten.
As I said earlier, I just wanted to share my music and see what people thought about it so far.

The piece is far from done, and I simply just wanted to know what you guys thought about it, since I thought it sounded pretty good already.

I appreciate it! Smile

Thanks,
Mathias

You can find my music here:
http://soundcloud.com/MathiasGebuhr
06-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Website Find