Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The End" - Music Project - Thoughts?
Mathiasz Offline

Threads: 2
"The End" - Music Project - Thoughts?

Hi everyone!

I am working on a piece that is so far called "The End".
I'd appreciate your thoughts, opinions and what ever you want to say about it.

"The End" fits perfectly as name in my opinion - what do you guys think and such?
Do you think it's a good piece? A bad? Why?

Also, I am still willing to compose music for any custom story - that of course is taken a bit seriously.

http://soundcloud.com/mathiasgebuhr/math...hr-the-end

Thanks,
Mathias

You can find my music here:
http://soundcloud.com/MathiasGebuhr
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM by Mathiasz.)
06-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: "The End" - Music Project - Thoughts?

I think it's awesome, coming from a fellow musician. I personally like this kind of music even though I don't play it myself but I took a listen to your other stuff, I like "Sound of Melancholia", it was very beautiful.

Keep the good work up! Big Grin

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Find
Mathiasz Offline

(06-14-2012, 10:02 PM)nackidno Wrote: I think it's awesome, coming from a fellow musician. I personally like this kind of music even though I don't play it myself but I took a listen to your other stuff, I like "Sound of Melancholia", it was very beautiful.

Keep the good work up! Big Grin

Thank you very much! Smile

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM by Mathiasz.)
06-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Sorry dude but I'm not a fan of this one. It's too static (especially the harmony)! Even if the themes were strong (I personally don't think it is, but whatever) you need to do something with them; play with the melody, harmony and rhythm a little.

EDIT: And in my opinion the repeat at 0005 is quite ugly, if you really must have that chord there then at least change the little two note lick that precedes it; it really doesn't sound interesting.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 10:44 PM by Bridge.)
06-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Find
Mathiasz Offline

(06-14-2012, 10:41 PM)Bridge Wrote: Sorry dude but I'm not a fan of this one. It's too static (especially the harmony)! Even if the themes were strong (I personally don't think it is, but whatever) you need to do something with them; play with the melody, harmony and rhythm a little.

EDIT: And in my opinion the repeat at 0005 is quite ugly, if you really must have that chord there then at least change the little two note lick that precedes it; it really doesn't sound interesting.

Thanks for the feedback!
Though I think it all fits pretty good.

It's always good with some opinions! Smile

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 11:24 PM by Mathiasz.)
06-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-14-2012, 11:24 PM)Mathiasz Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 10:41 PM)Bridge Wrote: Sorry dude but I'm not a fan of this one. It's too static (especially the harmony)! Even if the themes were strong (I personally don't think it is, but whatever) you need to do something with them; play with the melody, harmony and rhythm a little.

Thanks for the feedback!

http://soundcloud.com/gylfi-1/the-end-edits-1

I just wrote a variation (also fairly boring, there isn't much to work with to be honest) on your theme just to show you what I mean (volume is kind of low for some reason).
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012, 11:30 PM by Bridge.)
06-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Find
Mathiasz Offline

(06-14-2012, 11:29 PM)Bridge Wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

I just wrote a variation (also fairly boring, there isn't much to work with to be honest) on your theme just to show you what I mean (volume is kind of low for some reason).

Oh, in that way!
Now I get it, hehe.

Yeah, I am already going to put a lot more work into this piece.
This is basically just the rough version - nothing mastered, EQ'ed or anything.

It's just a shape of how the track is build and is going to be, you know.

Thanks for it anyways!

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012, 12:23 AM by Mathiasz.)
06-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-15-2012, 12:22 AM)Mathiasz Wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, in that way!
Now I get it, hehe.

Thanks for it anyways!
It has nothing to do with the equalizer or anything post-production, it has to do with the way the piece is written on a fundamental level. At the moment it's completely stale and static and not riveting in any way. It goes beyond just the "shape of how the track is build and is going to be", it needs to be written with a totally different mindset if you want it to be interesting. If you don't, then fine, but I'm not into that kind of thing personally.
06-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Find
Mathiasz Offline

(06-15-2012, 12:49 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(06-15-2012, 12:22 AM)Mathiasz Wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, in that way!
Now I get it, hehe.

Thanks for it anyways!
It has nothing to do with the equalizer or anything post-production, it has to do with the way the piece is written on a fundamental level. At the moment it's completely stale and static and not riveting in any way. It goes beyond just the "shape of how the track is build and is going to be", it needs to be written with a totally different mindset if you want it to be interesting. If you don't, then fine, but I'm not into that kind of thing personally.

Yeah I noticed I shouldn't have written about mastering and EQ, since it doesn't have any point in this.
Thanks for your feedback. As said, this is only a kind of fundament of the track. It was started today and I havne't used more than 30 minutes on this, so this is far from how it will sound in the end.

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012, 12:56 AM by Mathiasz.)
06-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Website Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

Sounds good, would make great ending credit music for a survival horror/adventure game with a protagonist-heavy story. The tempo (is that the correct musical term for 'pace'?) seems a little disjointed though; sort of speeds up & slows down irregularly.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
06-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Find