Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The End" - Music Project - Thoughts?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: "The End" - Music Project - Thoughts?

(06-15-2012, 04:02 PM)Xanatos Wrote: Sounds good, would make great ending credit music for a survival horror/adventure game with a protagonist-heavy story. The tempo (is that the correct musical term for 'pace'?) seems a little disjointed though; sort of speeds up & slows down irregularly.
Tempo is the correct term. The term for "speeding up and slowing down irregularly" is rubato. Basically it means no strict adherence to any one tempo and freedom of rhythm. But this piece isn't very free at all, in fact I'm sure the disjointedness was a mistake in the performance, apart from the slight slow down near the end of the phrases.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012, 04:09 PM by Bridge.)
06-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Find
Mathiasz Offline

Threads: 2

(06-15-2012, 04:09 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(06-15-2012, 04:02 PM)Xanatos Wrote: Sounds good, would make great ending credit music for a survival horror/adventure game with a protagonist-heavy story. The tempo (is that the correct musical term for 'pace'?) seems a little disjointed though; sort of speeds up & slows down irregularly.
Tempo is the correct term. The term for "speeding up and slowing down irregularly" is rubato. Basically it means no strict adherence to any one tempo and freedom of rhythm. But this piece isn't very free at all, in fact I'm sure the disjointedness was a mistake in the performance, apart from the slight slow down near the end of the phrases.

Yes.
In all the previews I've uploaded of pieces I'm working on, there might be a bit tempo changing.

It's basically because they're played "live" and isn't placed totally correct.
This will be fixed in the final versions of the piece(s).

You can find my music here:
http://soundcloud.com/MathiasGebuhr
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012, 05:16 PM by Mathiasz.)
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-15-2012, 05:16 PM)Mathiasz Wrote:
(06-15-2012, 04:09 PM)Bridge Wrote:

Yes.
In all the previews I've uploaded of pieces I'm working on, there might be a bit tempo changing.

It's basically because they're played "live" and isn't placed totally correct.
This will be fixed in the final versions of the piece(s).
Why are you even releasing "demo versions" of your pieces? It's not like you have millions of fans anxiously awaiting updates every second of the day… Just finish them and then release them.
06-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

Same reason anyone releases demos; to make sure they're "doing it right".

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-16-2012, 10:54 AM)Xanatos Wrote: Same reason anyone releases demos; to make sure they're "doing it right".
An artist is always liable to criticism. If you are going to do something artistic and share it with other people, you have to expect people are just going to hate it outright because that's what happens sometimes. If you are only making art for acceptance, then you shouldn't even be making art in the first place. Releasing half-baked art in order to see whether it is worth continuing is even worse; if you think it's worth continuing, then it is. The first person an artist needs to please is himself; influencing people through your art is always a goal but if you don't like it, it's pointless.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 01:09 PM by Bridge.)
06-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Find
Mathiasz Offline

Threads: 2

(06-16-2012, 01:08 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 10:54 AM)Xanatos Wrote: Same reason anyone releases demos; to make sure they're "doing it right".
An artist is always liable to criticism. If you are going to do something artistic and share it with other people, you have to expect people are just going to hate it outright because that's what happens sometimes. If you are only making art for acceptance, then you shouldn't even be making art in the first place. Releasing half-baked art in order to see whether it is worth continuing is even worse; if you think it's worth continuing, then it is. The first person an artist needs to please is himself; influencing people through your art is always a goal but if you don't like it, it's pointless.

Bridge - no offense, but you seem a bit pessimistic.
I share my music with the people to see if they like it or not - it doesn't change whether if I'm going to continue on the piece or not.

I simply just ask for others opinions, since I'm always open for feedback.

You can find my music here:
http://soundcloud.com/MathiasGebuhr
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 01:59 PM by Mathiasz.)
06-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-16-2012, 01:58 PM)Mathiasz Wrote:

I share my music with the people to see if they like it or not - it doesn't change whether if I'm going to continue on the piece or not.

Well my opinion of your unfinished piece is that it's not interesting and has no depth. What can you expect, it's not finished! This probably isn't a 2 hour long, ten-movement suite of epic proportions, so there is no need for previews. Just finish it and then release it.
06-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-16-2012, 04:25 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 04:01 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 01:58 PM)Mathiasz Wrote:

Well my opinion of your unfinished piece is that it's not interesting and has no depth. What can you expect, it's not finished! This probably isn't a 2 hour long, ten-movement suite of epic proportions, so there is no need for previews. Just finish it and then release it.
You're telling someone what to do. Controlling, much?
I'm not telling anyone to do anything. Would you offer praise if Frictional released a demo for A Machine For Pigs with missing functionality and no textures if they said "It's just a shape of how the game is build and is going to be, you know"? There would be almost nothing there, so why the hell release it? Completely pointless, just like a 20 second "preview" of a piece nobody was even anticipating. I don't mean to be an asshole, but have something to show before you show it.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 05:26 PM by Bridge.)
06-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Robosprog Wrote:"This probably isn't a 2 hour long, ten-movement suite of epic
proportions, so there is no need for previews. Just finish it and then
release it." Yes you did.

Just because it's in the imperative form does not mean it's an explicit command. "Just finish it and then release it" can easily be substituted by "Pieces of music should generally be finished before they're released" and the meaning is not lost.
(06-16-2012, 05:50 PM)Robosprog Wrote: And music/games. If you think applying one entirely different form of entertainment to another is a fair example then you need to stop posting. You cannot compare a piece of music in alpha and a game in alpha.
Can, and did. That's how metaphors work by the way. How else do you suggest I illustrate the point I wanted to make? By saying: "Releasing half-baked previews of pieces of music is like some guy writing a vague outline of a piece of music and releasing it"?

I of course have nothing against WIP threads for critique reasons but before that a) at least minimal work has to have been put into the piece, and that it not be just a skeleton of a theme and b) that the thread creator actually wants critique, instead of Mathiasz who has deftly dodged basically everything I've said with cop out arguments. The only other reasons I can think of to post this is to show off or share it with other people, both of which require that there be something to show (and a 10 second theme outline is not much at all). I have dozens of these on my computer that are more fleshed out than this that I barely want to listen to.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 09:26 PM by Bridge.)
06-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Bridge, a musician make music for other people to listen to and if he want people to give him feedback on what is he is doing to make sure he's on the right path is all but bad, wrong, or half-arsed. It's actually a very good thing, it shows that he cares enough about his art to let people hear it and voice their opinions, and whether it's just a "skeleton of a theme" doesn't matter, as long as it's well presented and serious (which he is) then I don't understand the problem.

I kinda like the simplicity of it and I personally think it sounds very interesting and there are tons of ways you can spice this thing up. But I have to say though, that although your variation was kinda nice, it destroyed the feel of the piece and you made it jazzy which was pointless and unneeded.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Find